Why am I so impatient?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouBrew13

Reaction score
I've been brewing for a couple of years and love it immensely. But no matter what I've made or even how many times I've brewed a particular batch, I almost always try one too soon after bottling. I'm not talking the next day. But even a week later. The flavors develop over a couple of weeks and by then I've already had a couple young ones. I'm usually brewing Belgians and I'm pretty sure that they need time. The last ones always taste best. Would kegging help my obsession?

I think just figuring this is how you do would be more useful. It's interesting to know what your beer tastes like young, no harm in that. Makes the later bottles taste better when you have a clear comparison.

No, kegging wouldn't help your impatient nature...maybe you need to brew two or three batches in a row and let yourself sip on one while you let the other two batches bulk age for a month or so. Then bottle the batches and put them somewhere where they are outta mind for a couple of weeks....during that time start another couple batches and get ahead of the consumption pipeline. It's hard initially, especially if that's your MO but you have to break the cycle....

I brew with a friend and split each batch with him. He has no patience and likes to try at 7 days, 14 days and 21 days. I just ask him how it was and when it is good I stick mine in the fridge :)

You just need to reread your own post over and over, you already know when you have the best beer. Make tasting great beer a priority and you will be fine.

Start a bigger pipeline for your beer. See if one time you can do a double batch so that you will simply have more beer available and not need to worry about young beer.

The way I see it, there's no harm in sampling beer at different stages in the process. That's part of the appeal of home brewing for me. I regularly buy a sixpack of beer that is similar in style to what I have bottled up, so I can see how my beer compares. That gives me something else to try while I wait for mine to finish. I also have several beers at different stages, again giving me different beer to sample.

I keg, and I am always rushing things. Its natural. So kegging will not help. Right now I am sipping a young IPA I kegged and pressurized a few days ago. By the look and taste of it, its got a few more days yet to go. But I will continue to sample (my samples are 4oz.). It offers a chance to see how a beer matures and I think that is one of the bigger advantages of kegging. I wont "open" the tap till the beer is ready, but I will taste it.

Just for the pc police: I worked the third shift last night, and this is my 5 o'clock on a Friday afternoon.

barneygumble said:
I keg, and I am always rushing things. Its natural. So kegging will not help. Right now I am sipping a young IPA I kegged and pressurized a few days ago. By the look and taste of it, its got a few more days yet to go. But I will continue to sample (my samples are 4oz.). It offers a chance to see how a beer matures and I think that is one of the bigger advantages of kegging. I wont "open" the tap till the beer is ready, but I will taste it.

Just for the pc police: I worked the third shift last night, and this is my 5 o'clock on a Friday afternoon.

I think you mean the "Dream Police".

Glad to see that I'm not the only one with this affliction. I have a pipeline of usually 2 5-gallon batches in bottles...1 batch in primary and another in secondary. By the time I have bottles free, that's when I bottle. It's been working well. I just want to try my latest creation is the biggest problem. I also belong to a club so I'm always bringing something new each meeting as well.

I currently have 4 batches in bottles and the other night I still ended up grabbing the newest of the four which had only been in bottles for two weeks. I got some good flavors out of it, but it was definitely green. It is kind of nice to do that and then try it a couple weeks later when it's conditioned out quite a bit more and see how the flavor really develops. Of course, that's all just self-deluded justification of being impatient.

I also have to pour from almost the roof top top get some fake bubbles. That's the other downside. Not enough carbonation in green beer.

Back