Whole Pumpkin Pie in brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great idea. At Extreme Beer Fest in Boston there were a couple breweries that used whole pies in beers. From what I remember, they were both fruit pies. So, at least there's a precedent that it can work!

Regional Series:
Clam Adams- Sam Adams and Clam cakes...what? Oyster Stout is legit. Why not clams?

There was a beer made with several kinda of seafood as well... I think it was shrimp, oysters, clams, and crab.

UPDATE...
Transferred to secondary today. It smells and tastes awesome! This was based on Harpoon UFO. Wheat base with light and fresh pumpkin spice with a Graham cracker finish. Was gonna adjust spices and maybe add vanilla and/or lactose. But it is great as is! FG is 5.89 ABV. Est was only 4.9. I guess the pie bumped it up. Extremely happy so far. I will update after secondary and carb.

So happy you followed through with it! Thats awesome. I hope it turns out great. Just made a pumpkin brew a few days ago. Its nothing compared to this beast. Nice work! Cheers!

UPDATE...
Transferred to secondary today. It smells and tastes awesome! This was based on Harpoon UFO. Wheat base with light and fresh pumpkin spice with a Graham cracker finish. Was gonna adjust spices and maybe add vanilla and/or lactose. But it is great as is! FG is 5.89 ABV. Est was only 4.9. I guess the pie bumped it up. Extremely happy so far. I will update after secondary and carb.

Awesome!! how was primary fermentation? any starter? any lag time? any oil slick? really interesting, always wanted to try fruit pie filling but acually pies!? keep the imagination running!

FYI - I did something like this in the secondary/keg (awesome smelling pumpkin pie in a dry hop sack) and it ruined my beer....I wanted to get more pumpkin flavor and what I got was slimy, starchy, pumkiny beer...the only batch I have ever tossed. Nothing wrong with experimenting and reporting back so others can learn something!

Was out of town during primary. But it worked! Noticed minimal oil slick on top. Couldn't really even scoop it out there was so little. No starter. Looks like it started fermenting a little more after I racked to secondary. Out of town. Will post pics soon.

FYI - I did something like this in the secondary/keg (awesome smelling pumpkin pie in a dry hop sack) and it ruined my beer....I wanted to get more pumpkin flavor and what I got was slimy, starchy, pumkiny beer...the only batch I have ever tossed. Nothing wrong with experimenting and reporting back so others can learn something!

Um, ya. You threw pie into your already fermented beer... :confused:

Lol... of course you have to mash it, gotta break down those starches.

Not the whole pie...I added cooked pie filling with spices like a pie dry hop. I really don't see what the crust would add other than a bunch of trub gunk...

Love this concept.

At this years portland fruit beer festival, breakside brewery did a strawberry rhubarb pie beer with whole pies in the mash. It was fantastic!

I am seriously considering doing this for a pumpkin ale that I'm brewing this weekend.

Thanks for sharing

Dude, I wish you all the prosperity in the world for following through with this idea. You're the man!

Pumpkin is in keg! Had to add 1/2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice and vanilla. May add more, needs to carb first. But so far so good!

Haha! This idea just occurred to me tonight and I couldn't decide if it made the most "sense" to mash the the whole pie or toss the whole pie into the boil kettle and then filter it out via paint strainer bag. My initial thought put me on team "throw the pie in the boil kettle". How'd the brew come out we're all in suspense, some of us since 2012!!

I know it's months later… but I'd still like to know the ultimate verdict. How DID it turn out?

Brewer had sever heart attack after ingesting a large quantity of pie and beer combo thus solidifying what nutritionists have long said. "Fat and beer = early death":D Seriously though. I gave up hope on this and you have managed to peak my interest. If I hear no outcome on this I will do it my damn self just because! Think it will turn out like $H!t but who knows.

I didn't realize I never made a final post! It has been almost 2 years. I now brew with a BIAB in my brew kettle and my buddies 55 gallon system.

As for the pumpkin, it was really great. But my last had no pie and lots of fresh vanilla bean scrapped in secondary. Highly recommended to get that pie taste.

I didn't realize I never made a final post! It has been almost 2 years. I now brew with a BIAB in my brew kettle and my buddies 55 gallon system.

As for the pumpkin, it was really great. But my last had no pie and lots of fresh vanilla bean scrapped in secondary. Highly recommended to get that pie taste.

And the award for best cock tease HBT thread goes to!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Drum roll please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D Serioiusly though. No pictures, no results, no oil slick answers, nothing! Two mother ****ing years man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE KILLING ME SMALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D All jokes aside. Dick move:ban: OK now all jokes aside WTF! Cool on the 55g usage but WTF. Also glad to see that it wasn't a heart attack:fro:

Yeah no pie is the way to go. The pie imparts no discernible qualities. However a roasted pumpkin mashed in with the grains for a corsendonk style tripel...now that's another story. Two 375mL bottles left from a year ago brew of this and it's incredible

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

And the award for best cock tease HBT thread goes to!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Drum roll please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D Serioiusly though. No pictures, no results, no oil slick answers, nothing! Two mother ****ing years man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE KILLING ME SMALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D All jokes aside. Dick move:ban: OK now all jokes aside WTF! Cool on the 55g usage but WTF. Also glad to see that it wasn't a heart attack:fro:

Seriously!!!

Back