Who wants rhizomes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received today.

Thanks

image-2967296111.jpg

Had a couple nice little packages arrive yesterday. One of which was an envelope of rhizomes!:rockin: Much appreciated. I'll update with pics once I get them planted and have some growth going.

I got mine into a planter with some potting soil until I can figure out a bigger option for them.

Once they start growing, I'll transfer them to some larger pots (once I get some larger pots) out on the balcony and figure out some kind of trellis system. Probably dowel rods and twine up to the roof, somehow. :)

Our apartment is on the SW corner of the building, so it should give a pretty good dose of sun for them...however, it can get *really* hot out there in the summer, so I'm hoping that won't cause any trouble.

I got mine into a planter with some potting soil until I can figure out a bigger option for them.

Once they start growing, I'll transfer them to some larger pots (once I get some larger pots) out on the balcony and figure out some kind of trellis system. Probably dowel rods and twine up to the roof, somehow. :)

Our apartment is on the SW corner of the building, so it should give a pretty good dose of sun for them...however, it can get *really* hot out there in the summer, so I'm hoping that won't cause any trouble.

kepp them really wet during those hot days...anythong over 100 degrees you should cover the pot with a damp burlap so the soil will stay cooler

I don't know much about them. I run a three tier stand with 8 gallon kettle. Pretty small set up for a pump, but it does make it easier for me commit to a multiple burner set up.

Stupid question of epic proportions. Can hops be potted if you have lousy soil? Of course you would use a trellis, and it wouldnt be optimal... but is it possible?

Definitely...just feed them more and make sure they don't dry out. Also, use the biggest container you can find. If you look at my pics you can see that the saaz rhizomes I collected were from a half barrel

Ah, I appreciate it. It's cool that you offer so many varieties, too. Next year I'll definitely be getting some.

(No intent to hijack thread)

Thanks for sharing! I had about 20 different tabs open in my browser, and I guess I missed that page. When I first looked there I guess I was confused, because they were sold out of the "rooted rhizome", but I guess they do have regular rhizomes available for pre-order. Just ordered a few.

Question for hop growers out there -

We had a warm weekend here, so I stuck my rhizomes in the ground...figured it was better than waiting for mold in the fridge. It rained all weekend and the soil is saturated and muddy (normally very free-draining)....think that's a problem? Should I stick them back in the fridge? The mud is cold like 40s, but I don't want them to rot. I mean, I have a bunch of other established rhizomes in the same soil, but these obviously don't have developed roots yet.

That's a tough call. I would make sure I build the soil real well in the area you plant them. Dig a big hole (wide and deep) fill it with compost, manure, top soil etc... Still plant the rhizomes the same depth, but create a larger surrounding environment where they wont get too wet. I would even construct a way for the water drain if possible.

That's a tough call. I would make sure I build the soil real well in the area you plant them. Dig a big hole (wide and deep) fill it with compost, manure, top soil etc... Still plant the rhizomes the same depth, but create a larger surrounding environment where they wont get too wet. I would even construct a way for the water drain if possible.

Yes, I have that. The whole area is fluffy soil & compost and is raised up and normally drains really well. I suppose I should expect wet, saturated soil when I plant in the rain. I'll check back later in the week and see how well it's drained. Thanks.

Planted my hops that Hoppy sent about 2 weeks ago and they are starting to grow already. Vines have just poked through the soil!

The Nugget that Hoppy sent me just broke through. Nothing from the willamette or saaz yet. I also got a cascade from Hops Direct and it pushed two shoots out today as well!

Thanks again!

Subzero windchills in Chicago...that should put a damper on things :(

I started mine n pots. Have 10 pots sitting up stairs just planted tettnang, magnum, cascade, centinal. Im done for this year.

I'm planting mine this weekend into potting soil pots to get them started before going into beds on my fence line in full sun. The shoots look healthy, keeping them in the fridge till then.

Back