White Labs Yeast Vault

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet! Hansen yeast is in production and payment has been processed. Anyone know what the typical time-frame is form start of production to shipping?

Anyone know what the typical time-frame is form start of production to shipping?

It was two weeks from process payment to receiving.

I got the HP Lager yeast WLP925
payment on March 31st, received April 13th, and have already been enjoying the IPL I brewed.

Lot of brewing up ahead :ban:, Payments processed for
Lager X (Planned Brew - "A Special Kind of Helles" Styrian Aurora @60min +Loral and Simcoe De-bittered leaf @15 for 18-IBU)
Hansen Ale blend (Planned Brew - "Open Hop bag special IPA" looks like Idaho 7, Comet, bit of citra, bit of x331 80-IBU)
Brettanomyces anomalus I (Planned Brew - "Belma Galaxy" 50ish-IBU)

It was two weeks from process payment to receiving.

I got the HP Lager yeast WLP925
payment on March 31st, received April 13th, and have already been enjoying the IPL I brewed.

Lot of brewing up ahead :ban:, Payments processed for
Lager X (Planned Brew - "A Special Kind of Helles" Styrian Aurora @60min +Loral and Simcoe De-bittered leaf @15 for 18-IBU)
Hansen Ale blend (Planned Brew - "Open Hop bag special IPA" looks like Idaho 7, Comet, bit of citra, bit of x331 80-IBU)
Brettanomyces anomalus I (Planned Brew - "Belma Galaxy" 50ish-IBU)

When they ship do they give you a tracking number? Also do you remember if they ship FedEX/UPS or USPS?

When they ship do they give you a tracking number? Also do you remember if they ship FedEX/UPS or USPS?

USPS - when they shipped the HP Lager yeast 925 I was sent a tracking number.

But when they sent the Lager X USPS, I received no notice and found it in my mail box.

Billed May 2nd, shipped may 9th, received May10th

Apparently they're going to put all the strains in production. Planning on ordering at least 1 strain, maybe two.

Both yeasts I've gotten from the vault have had a tracking number and they ship early the day the #goes out.

Can't wait for my Hansen I have a half pound of galaxy and some citra and mosaic. Gunna make a split batch Hansen in one keg 007 or San Diego super in the other not sure which yet. I'm leaning towards 007.

I'm brewing Memorial Day weekend so I hope it come out in the next week in time to build up a starter of both yeasts. Otherwise I'll have to brew a saison with my new Nordic yeast blend. Too much to brew too little time.

B... I'm leaning towards 007....

I really Like 007 (Idaho 7) Glad its gone into full production. Hopefully Sierra wont buy all of the commercial stock out this year. I spoke with they guy that created the strain at CBC at the Crosby hop farm booth. Idaho 6 (Genghis) was axed due to poor yield, but I can't wait to see what he releases next.

Idaho 7 is fantastic with X331, Sadly I only have a pound left of x331 and everywhere else is sold out. So only a batch or two left of this combo until harvest time. Hope x331 makes it to full-time production.

Also have a Idaho 7 Comet IPA about ready for dry hopping.

USPS - when they shipped the HP Lager yeast 925 I was sent a tracking number.

But when they sent the Lager X USPS, I received no notice and found it in my mail box.

Billed May 2nd, shipped may 9th, received May10th

Thanks for the heads up. I also ordered the Lager X strain. Unfortunately my mail box is not by my house so it's hard to tell sometimes when I get mail. I went out there and found it sitting in there and the ice pack had already melted. Hopefully the yeast is still good as it has probably been there for a few days...

For anyone who is curious they mail it in the old style of tubes inside a puffy mylar envelope with a cold pack inside. It was shipped USPS first class and it had a tracking number but they never sent it out. It's something to keep in mind if you have work or live in a tight schedule.

... Hopefully the yeast is still good as it has probably been there for a few days....

I believe because they just propagated it there should be enough cell count to be fine. If you do a starter I don't think it will be an issue. I'm doing a small 3.5 gallon "Special Kind of Helles" so I think I'll be fine just pitching it as is.

I believe because they just propagated it there should be enough cell count to be fine. If you do a starter I don't think it will be an issue. I'm doing a small 3.5 gallon "Special Kind of Helles" so I think I'll be fine just pitching it as is.

I agree. I took a look at the tracking number to see when it was delivered and it had only been in my mailbox for 27 hours. It's crazy to have yeast that is so fresh! :ban:

I really Like 007 (Idaho 7) Glad its gone into full production. Hopefully Sierra wont buy all of the commercial stock out this year. I spoke with they guy that created the strain at CBC at the Crosby hop farm booth. Idaho 6 (Genghis) was axed due to poor yield, but I can't wait to see what he releases next.

Idaho 7 is fantastic with X331, Sadly I only have a pound left of x331 and everywhere else is sold out. So only a batch or two left of this combo until harvest time. Hope x331 makes it to full-time production.

Also have a Idaho 7 Comet IPA about ready for dry hopping.

Never knew there was an Idaho 6! Neat.

But he meant WLP007. :mug:

Once they're released and in production how do you order some?

From The Vault FAQ on Whitelabs.com:

Can I get the price after the pre-sale ends?
No. The pre-order price is only available until the strain goes into production. After which it may be available in stores for a limited time and only after Vault customers receive their yeast. Please sign up for the next round of production if you are unable to find the strain in a store.
Currently all Vault strains show status of In Production and are unavailable for purchase from the website. Check with your local shop or wait until the strain you're interested in goes back in The Vault, but then you'll have to wait until Whitelabs have 250 or more orders for that strain.

That makes more sense...guess I was just thinking of what hops to use with Hansen blend..

Haha. Either way a good choice I think. I'm going with a galaxy, mosaic, and citra hops for my first brew.

I have two vials so I can build up a starter with each and save a bunch to brew with for a while. Got mine in the mail two days ago. Brewing next weekend.

Just received my Hansen Ale Yeast (WLP075), W00T! I'll say that the USPS shipping took 4 days to get here. Luckily it hasn't gotten hot here in Texas yet so I'm sure the yeast is quite well. When I order from the vault again, I'll probably pony up for expedited shipping!

Just received my Hansen Ale Yeast (WLP075), W00T! I'll say that the USPS shipping took 4 days to get here. Luckily it hasn't gotten hot here in Texas yet so I'm sure the yeast is quite well. When I order from the vault again, I'll probably pony up for expedited shipping!

Did you get any sort of tracking number ahead of time? I sent White Labs a feedback email asking if they could send people tracking numbers but they didn't reply back. :confused:

Did you get any sort of tracking number ahead of time? I sent White Labs a feedback email asking if they could send people tracking numbers but they didn't reply back. :confused:

I got a tracking number when my latest (and LAST) order from the "vault" was shipped. It also river HOT and most likely useless. No response from WLP!

Yes, I had a tracking number. Can't say I blame White Labs for USPS shipping delays.
I don't recall but I likely could have chosen an expedited shipping for a higher fee of course.

It was pretty hot in CT when my Hansen's Ale Blend was delivered, so I was a little worried. I made a starter last night and it is alive! I'm pitching it into a session IPA with 3 oz each of Citra and Mosaic I brewed yesterday.

I ordered 4 strains. I received an email for each advising my card had been charged. For 3 out of 4 I received a shipping notice. For 2 out of 4 I received a USPS tracking number. If I login to my account, all 4 still show a status of pending. White Labs has some opportunities for improvement of their order notification system; however, I am glad for the opportunity and would order again.

After weeks of nice temps the day Hansen blend arrived it was 92F out.
Brettanomyces Anomalus was supposed to arrive the same day...for some reason it was out for delivery in Roanoke 3.5 hours away, finally showed up three days later.

My Brett Anomolous took 4 days to get to Philly during a heat wave. It was 90F the day it hit my mailbox. I laughed at the ice pack. Well, what can you do.

I'm thinking I will build it up in a starter, and use it as a primary strain on a Wakatu-hopped NE-style IPA. Debating what other hop to pair it with. Maybe Sorachi Ace?

Well, today's the day I finally get to use my long awaited Hansen ale yeast. I have to say just from the starter this stuff is quick and seems to flog out really well.

It was pretty hot in CT when my Hansen's Ale Blend was delivered, so I was a little worried. I made a starter last night and it is alive! I'm pitching it into a session IPA with 3 oz each of Citra and Mosaic I brewed yesterday.

Gravity dropped from 1.050 to 1.011. Dry hopped Saturday with 2 oz Simcoe, 2 oz Citra and 2 oz Mosaic. Smells amazing. Kegging it Thursday and force carbing it. Serving it at the Chester Fair Beer and Wine Tasting Saturday, 6/3/2017, in Chester CT.

So my split batch of the Hansen vs wlp007 is ready to drink and I finally got some good pours (not half a glass of hop residue) from each of them yesterday. They both ended up at the same OG with an apparent attenuation of 80%. To be honest, I wasn't expecting there to be much difference between these two brews since, 007 is supposed to have good attenuation and retain English character, similar to the description of the Hansen. I was also a little skeptical of any differences because this was a NEIPA, always wanted to try the style so I thought "why not? let's see what this yeast can do". Picking up differences between two "Englishy" yeast in a beer with loads of Galaxy, Mosaic, Citra, and 20% flaked grains seemed like a stretch.

I, however, was wrong in the best way possible. The Hansen yeast turned out incredible. Don't get me wrong, the 007 is a great beer and showcases the fruity hops well but the Hansen is a totally different beast. The beer was fruitier and had a creamier mouth feel to it which surprised me since they were from the same wort, both fermented at 68F (my typical 007 temperature), and finished with the same gravity.

Anyways, wanted to share my experience with this yeast. I'll post a picture below. I have another vial I'm going to build up soon and I think I'll go with either a SMaSH or a west coast IPA against 007 again to get a feel for the differences in a style where yeast contribution will stand out even more.

IMG_1587.jpg

Last edited:
Finally got a brew finished with the New Nordic Yeast blend. The verdict for me at the moment is really pretty meh. Interested to see if anyone got the characteristics I am.

Essentially it was a regular saison recipe using this yeast. Fermented at 72F (no issues with lag or anything), and have been sitting on it for four weeks now. Last week I'd had a brief taste and it seemed nice.. somewhat hefe-like. Yesterday I opened it to bottle and it smells EXACTLY like a glass of fresh apple juice. It doesn't really smell like acetaldehyde (not that I'm an expert), but legit like a juice box. It's really not pleasant in that it's not a smell I'm looking for in a beer. The taste was pretty uninspiring, as well. The grain bill was a fairly simple saison recipe because I'd thought the yeast would shine through.

Has anyone else used this and gotten an intense apple juice/cider aroma like this? I had no process problems, and used a healthy pitch from a starter. Without having anything to compare to, I could only assume that's just how this yeast smells.

There is a good strain hopefully being released soon. Only 65 left for the London Fog ne ipa strain. Ordering a vial.

That yeast has sold so many just 1 day ago they needed close to the 200 mark and now its under 30. I cant wait for this release. The last batch sold quick too. I tried to grab some and they told me they were still making and packaging last batch and they wouldnt know until next week if they had extra. Guess what they better make more soon!!

That yeast has sold so many just 1 day ago they needed close to the 200 mark and now its under 30. I cant wait for this release. The last batch sold quick too. I tried to grab some and they told me they were still making and packaging last batch and they wouldnt know until next week if they had extra. Guess what they better make more soon!!

You should check out Hansen's Ale Blend as well. I made a NEIPA with it back in June and it was fantastic.

Finally got a brew finished with the New Nordic Yeast blend. The verdict for me at the moment is really pretty meh. Interested to see if anyone got the characteristics I am.

Essentially it was a regular saison recipe using this yeast. Fermented at 72F (no issues with lag or anything), and have been sitting on it for four weeks now. Last week I'd had a brief taste and it seemed nice.. somewhat hefe-like. Yesterday I opened it to bottle and it smells EXACTLY like a glass of fresh apple juice. It doesn't really smell like acetaldehyde (not that I'm an expert), but legit like a juice box. It's really not pleasant in that it's not a smell I'm looking for in a beer. The taste was pretty uninspiring, as well. The grain bill was a fairly simple saison recipe because I'd thought the yeast would shine through.

Has anyone else used this and gotten an intense apple juice/cider aroma like this? I had no process problems, and used a healthy pitch from a starter. Without having anything to compare to, I could only assume that's just how this yeast smells.

I've used this blend in both a simple saison (90% pilsner 10% wheat with sorachi ace at 60 and FO) and a very simple cider. I didn't get any of that intense apple juice flavor you're describing. In both cases I got a very pleasant funkiness that lent itself to the dryness of both batches. A lot of character but none of the fruitiness I've heard about with this strain. For the cider I let it ferment on the counter (so around 78F the whole time, it was summer). The saison started about 68F and I let it come up to about 78F by the 5th day. Although I think active fermentation was over long before that.

Latest posts

Back