White Labs Yeast Vault

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please do order another. I've been waiting a while to get another batch!

I always make a starter then save a little to make a new starter when I brew again. So far the Hansen is on batch 3 or 4?

I've used this blend in both a simple saison (90% pilsner 10% wheat with sorachi ace at 60 and FO) and a very simple cider. I didn't get any of that intense apple juice flavor you're describing. In both cases I got a very pleasant funkiness that lent itself to the dryness of both batches. A lot of character but none of the fruitiness I've heard about with this strain. For the cider I let it ferment on the counter (so around 78F the whole time, it was summer). The saison started about 68F and I let it come up to about 78F by the 5th day. Although I think active fermentation was over long before that.

Hmm interesting. It's entirely possible I just had an "off" batch I suppose. Unfortunately we ended up dumping the batch, because we didn't see ourselves drinking it. But I saved some of the yeast blend to give it a second try.

Hansen Yeast is back in the vault and only 34 more orders are needed before they release for production. I've got 2 on order and I hope these last 34 are sold within the next month so I can get them here for summer brewing!

Hansen Yeast is back in the vault and only 34 more orders are needed before they release for production. I've got 2 on order and I hope these last 34 are sold within the next month so I can get them here for summer brewing!

Only 29 left now. I've had 4 vials on order since 10/12/2017. :| Its a long time to wait... I did get some of it when it was on the Seasonal release last year. They took it off that release schedule this year though sadly...

I have to say that every IPA recipe I've used this yeast in turned a good beer into a great beer. I plan on overbuilding some starters to keep some of this on hand for a while. I'm a huge fan of the Hansen Ale yeast! Really wish it was produced regularly. But I guess it makes the beer more special when I can actually use it.

Only 29 left now. I've had 4 vials on order since 10/12/2017. :| Its a long time to wait... I did get some of it when it was on the Seasonal release last year. They took it off that release schedule this year though sadly...

I have to say that every IPA recipe I've used this yeast in turned a good beer into a great beer. I plan on overbuilding some starters to keep some of this on hand for a while. I'm a huge fan of the Hansen Ale yeast! Really wish it was produced regularly. But I guess it makes the beer more special when I can actually use it.
Same here, I always overbuild but will likely get 10 beers out of 2 vials before I'm done. That's quite a savings too! I just hope it gets released before the weather is way warmer. After they get to their number, it'll still take many weeks for production and release.

I think they need to stop releasing vault strains as seasonal or fill the vault orders when they do a release. Or maybe do a yearly purge and release the yeasts with the highest counts as seasonal release the next year.

Maybe if they got different Homebrew suppliers or breweries to sponsor strains that might move things quicker.

24 now.. WOO-HOO! Keep it up HBT, lets release the Hansen Ale Yeast from the vault!!! Its worth it, seriously!
I think it's at least as good as many other yeasts that are available all year long. I'd like to see this as a regular but if they can't sell 250 in 6 months, maybe they won't.
I'm not sure how hard they push the Vault but I do hear about it occasionally on podcasts.

I'd like to see this as a regular but if they can't sell 250 in 6 months

Thats because of the Vault in general... I'd bet it would become as popular as WLP001 if it were more commonly available. I know I'd personally use it as my goto IPA yeast.

21, I was sort of moving away from season or special yeasts but I figure why not help out a fellow clear beer drinker.

@Nagorg the day before you posted about the Hansen blend yeast I clean out my beer fridge and dumped a bunch of jars of old yeast. One of the jars was some yeast from a over built starter of the first release of the Hansen yeast blend from the vault. I cant recall what shape it was in but there was quite a few year plus old jars that were still in good shape.

I have some wlp090, wlp007 and a bunch of more estery yeasts maybe I should try doing my own blend.

We're the best salesmen they've got! :)

I'll say this to those who want to try it. Brew up 10 gallons of a pale, IPA, DIPA and split into 2 fermenters and use Hansen in one and your go to yeast in the other. You'll see this is likely a better floc yeast and it's also pretty fast. I even save on hops as this helps the hops go a long way IMO. Maybe a tad bit drier too. And it's priced cheaper than what I pay in my LHBS. Overbuilding my starters gets me 4-5 uses if that's something you want to do as well.

Why is it called Hansen yeast?

Mmm Hop? :)

Both wlp007 and wlp090 ferment pretty fast, wlp007 being a better flocculator. I have been using a wlp007 lately on 1050-1060 beers and it is done by day 4 and quite clear on day 7 when I keg.

Sort of thought the Hansen might come from WLP692 Debaryomyces hansenii but maybe not.

From memory it was named after a longstanding employee at White Labs - nothing to do with Debaryomyces nor the guy at Carlsberg who contributed so much to modern understanding of yeast (and had a bunch of yeast species named after him)

I already had one on order, but went ahead and got 2 more to try and speed this up
Edit:
Accidentally double ordered, so I guess I have 5 coming now. Hope I like it

Now that the Hansen is in the books, can we get going on the WLP564 Leeuwenhoek Saison Yeast Blend? I've had my preorder in for a while and I'd love to use it this summer while the weather's hot!

WLP564 was a Q1 seasonal release - I''ve commented in the past about how illogical some of the timing of the seasonals has been. You might be able to find it kicking around at a retailer still, although it's sold out on this side of the pond.

Edit - as an example, these guys in San Diego claim to have it in stock - and reduced in price as it must be approaching its best-before date! :)

Last edited:
That'd be good - although doing a Vault purge at the height of summer seems yet another example of White Labs managing to flunk things a little bit.

It's been clear that it's not been quite working for a while now - just integrating the seasonal releases with the Vault better would make a big difference. But at least I'll be able to finally get my hands on WLP038 Manchester and WLP026, and of course there's the new WLP518 Opshaug kveik strain :

https://www.whitelabs.com/news/added-vault-new-kveik-strain

The Vault does need some changes... The order I placed on 10-12-2017 is finally in production but that's waayyy too long to wait. And to top it off, they only ship USPS and are charging me $12 to ship 4 vials that will be warm (hopefully not hot) when I get them. (Cali to Texas via mail..) I asked for a different shipping option but they said no-go. :|

The Vault does need some changes... The order I placed on 10-12-2017 is finally in production but that's waayyy too long to wait. And to top it off, they only ship USPS and are charging me $12 to ship 4 vials that will be warm (hopefully not hot) when I get them. (Cali to Texas via mail..) I asked for a different shipping option but they said no-go. :|
I agree, it all seems a far fetch right now. Not enough interest perhaps? 2017??? Wow, that's a long wait.

Don't discount USPS, their long distance shipping is all by air, trucks for airport-to-hub and local delivery. Fedex (and perhaps UPS too) still trucks everything long distance that isn't Express.
That said, my vault order of Marañón Canyon (USPS) arrived quite brown, and took a long time to propagate into a pitchable + ranchable amount. And that was shipped in April, and didn't sit in my mailbox for hours.

got an email saying that they are flushing the vault again, all vault stains go into production july 1. order what you want no waiting.

Also a hint that the vault might be changing.

Mind posting the text of this email? I didn't get it and I don't see the info anywhere on their site or social media.

Mind posting the text of this email? I didn't get it and I don't see the info anywhere on their site or social media.
Our strains are breaking out of the Vault
We're releasing all of our Vault Strains, making it easier for you to get your hands on our specialty, creative, and unique strains that typically require 150 pre-orders to get out...until now!

All Vault Strains will go into production July 1st unless a strain hits 150 orders... then it will be pushed into production right away. That means you're not going to want to wait to order your favorites!

mail

After the strains are in production (and on their way to your doorstep) we're making way for something new coming soon to the Vault! Stay tuned...

Order Today

edit: pic/gif is forest gump running past a bunch of mailboxes

Last edited:
Anyone figure out how to order multiple strains without having to check out for each individual yeast?

I wish While Labs was clearer with their announcements like this. Does that mean the are going to ship all outstanding orders some time after 7/1/19? I have 8 outstanding Vault orders right now. I don't exactly want/need 8 different types of yeast right now. 10 types of you count WLP075 and WLP564, which I was just charged for today.

Lets hope what ever changes they are making makes the lead times shorter. One of my orders dates all the way back to 9/29/17.

Last edited:
I've got seven on order through the vault, with an email today saying my payment had been processed for Bedford Ale yeast. I'll be curious to see how this actually plays out with the vault "being emptied".

Here is what I am waiting on:

WLP006 Bedford British Ale Yeast (payment just processed today)

WLP860 Munich Helles Lager Yeast

WLP026 Premium Bitter Ale Yeast

WLP835 German X Lager Yeast

WLP076 Old Sonoma Ale Yeast

WLP033 Klassic Ale Yeast

WLP022 Essex Ale Yeast

I just received 5 vials of hansen. I opened the package and immediately checked the temperature. 96°F
And I live in california. The ice packs weren't much help

Apparently I dragged my heels and missed the Bedford British Ale release... It must have jumped up suddenly.

Then again it's also mid summer, not the best time to mail order yeast anyway. No matter how many ice packs they add to a silver bubble envelope, it's gonna get cooked.

I really hope they come up with a better system.

Back