White Labs Yeast Vault

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you reply to the original "Your payment has been received" email, a CSR will reply with an update. That is what I have done several times. They usually get back to you in a few hours.

And the numbers for the WLP025 Southwold vial... 6.05*10^8 and 92.15% viable. Not too terrible since it was shipped during the hottest part of the month, but would definitely need a starter, regardless of gravity.

If you reply to the original "Your payment has been received" email, a CSR will reply with an update. That is what I have done several times. They usually get back to you in a few hours.
Didn't work for me. I just got a template reply that "your yeast will be shipping out soon. Keep an eye out for an email with your tracking information."

Didn't work for me. I just got a template reply that "your yeast will be shipping out soon. Keep an eye out for an email with your tracking information."

I believe that "Your Vault Strains are about to ship out!" email from this afternoon was sent to everyone. I received that twice on two different email accounts. One of which I did not use to contact them yesterday.

Either way, it's a pisser. I NEED my new yeasties. I've got a cyser that just might finish with some residual sugar at around 1003. Also have a 1933 Kidd AK that wants to be split with 013, 017 and 026.

Me too @ba-brewer! Now I just hope to get some actual tracking numbers so I can make arrangements to have someone collect these from my mail and get them refrigerated while I am on vacation-- spending 7-10 days on my porch in 90F heat is not something I want to happen!

@ba-brewer and @cyberbackpacker I just got updated that my 4 yeasties are "your order is being shipped" which is a good upgrade from the afternoon email.

Actually, they sent 5 different emails with WLP011 being listed twice. They only charged me once so I'm good if there is an extra one. I'm keeping an eye out although "heat wave" in seattle generally means it might break 80F.

Glad it looks like all of the yeast is coming at once (if they truly do get shipped) but I also would of not minded if they trickled a strain or two at a time.

I put the wlp025 Southwold ale yeast to use this week and it cranked thru the 1050 wort in four days, the last refract sample looks to be better than 75% attenuation.

edit: wlp025 finished at 79% attenuation

Last edited:
Did anyone get any wlp030? Been dying to try that yeast for a while now. Would take some slurry, pay for it, trade some yeast, beer, whatever.

Did anyone get any wlp030? Been dying to try that yeast for a while now. Would take some slurry, pay for it, trade some yeast, beer, whatever.
I just checked and wlp030 is available via yeastman online ordering.

As a general note there is probably all of the vault strains available now or soon if you ask customer service.

If you don't want to go that route what do you got to trade?

I just received WLP022 and WLP026. Unlike previous yeasts I have received, these were actually sent First Class Mail instead of Parcel Post. And the vial and pouch were also still cool to the touch!

As for the yeast--- WLP026 is crazy! The entire vial is almost entirely full of thick, compact yeast; there seems to be hardly any liquid. It is the weirdest thing I have ever seen from a pitchable yeast vial/pouch!

I'll try and post a pic later.

Received wlp022 and wlp026 today, 77F inside the pouch felt cool compared to ambient. They shipped on 7/25 late in the day, did not get any indications from "informed delivery".

The yeast and beer in the tube looked a bit lighter than past shipments.

I did not receive any email notifications on the yeast I received either; on previous shipments I have received an email with tracking information-- not so on these two.

:mug:

I've received shipping emails on all mine and have received five out of six of my strains. The packaging seems to have changed with my last strain which is nice since it now too bulky to sit and cook in the mailbox and it was sitting on my doorstep.

I'm doing a similar process. Every strain is revitalized with a series of low gravity starters, it is then plated and the slurry I am freezing in a glycerin solution.
It's hard to know exactly, but I'd use them within a month, or two at the most, if they they were shipped hot. Regardless, you should definitely be making stirred, oxygenated starters with these yeasts. I am also slanting these yeast; my process is to pull a loopful of slurry from the vial, propagate in 10 ml sterile wort tubes and make slants from that. I am also plating the yeast to check the colonies, but that is not really necessary.

Received emails from chris white at stamps.com that my yeast orders have shipped. Includes where the two vials that were delivered two days ago, all have a ship date of 7/29/19. The other three yeast had labels created on the same day but did not ship.

Guess who got Christmas in July? Chris White personally emailed me last night to say these had shipped, and what was waiting in my mail box when I got home? The ice packs had thawed but

Weird though that they sent me 2x WLP011 (I probably had one on order from 2 years ago, and added one for the vault purge). And still outstanding is WLP85 (which I already have but want a backup). I got the Kveik about a week ago, so....I have a backlog.

Curious on the vault purge logic for July. Seems to make a lot more sense in say January, when the weather is cold, Xmas rush is over, and those who use ambient temperature can get right at it. Not complaining, just a little mystified.

Anyhoo, I digress, I'll kick off the WLP011 cyser tonight and maybe the 1933 Kidd AK with the Opshaug to test out brewing in an 85F ambient garage.

upload_2019-7-29_19-20-57.png

I needed a way to manage my WLP yeasts and easily compare them. Thought others might like this spreadsheet as it takes most of the details from each WLP yeast on their website (no comments or descriptions included).

Attachments

• WLP Yeasts.zip
    21 KB · Views: 42
I am down to 2 left to be delivered , wlp033 klassic ale and wlp038 Manchester ale. I had received an email with tracking notices for both that was saying label printed waiting on package but now they are both un-trackable. Anyone else still waiting on either of these?

@ba-brewer I am in the same boat; waiting on 33, 38, and 76. Received shipping notification over a week ago as labels being created, but no reception by USPS!

Thanks @cyberbackpacker, kind of glad to get a break but I am getting tired of stalking the mailman.

I have a beer fermenting with wlp059 that is acting like the beers I have made with wlp076. It took off fast and got down to 50% attenuation in 36 hours then started to crawl. 5 days post pitch and it is only attenuated to 63%, when most yeast would be close to final gravity. The beers I brewed with wlp076 all took almost 14days to get to final gravity.

I have 022, 026 and 039 yet to brew with. I was going to do WLP026 next but I found some old post here on HBT that it seems to need some aging time to clean up. Now I leaning towards wlp039.

I split a batch of AK between brand spanking new wlp017 and wlp026 strains pitched this morning that are happily fermenting away.

On the other hand, forgot to aerate the Kolsch WLP011, so just took care of that and hopefully that one will be going full steam ahead by morning. I'll also try the 011 on a cyser and fingers crossed it will attenuate out around 1005 be we will see about that.

Still on order is 85. I totally brain farted and somehow ordered two 011 instead of changing one to 013. Oh well, if the 85 doesn't show up, I'll see if I can swap those two out as I still have an 85 culture going strong.

building a starter with my vial of wlp039 east midlands yeast, looked to about a little less than half as much slurry as most other yeast. Hope it is a finer yeast and not a half filled vial. If is the later the starter should fix things.

The broken tracking number for my last two strains started working again last night, then this morning I received emails and two new number from chris white. Emails says shipping today, but the tracking link says the label was created three days ago and is waiting for package.

The broken tracking number for my last two strains started working again last night, then this morning I received emails and two new number from chris white. Emails says shipping today, but the tracking link says the label was created three days ago and is waiting for package.

I have two tracking numbers and only 1 order still outstanding. I'm not sure if that means I'm getting two duplicate orders or one of the numbers is wrong.

I would go with one number is bad.

I have a feeling the vault thing was/is not very integrated into their production process. Probably as painful for the folks that have to fulfill the orders as us folks that have placed the orders.

What a coincidence, Chris White reached out to me as well.

I've gotten a bunch of vault strains. The tracking number is useless for actually tracking the shipment but experience tells me it was shipped out the day you got the tracking number

What a coincidence, Chris White reached out to me as well.

I've gotten a bunch of vault strains. The tracking number is useless for actually tracking the shipment but experience tells me it was shipped out the day you got the tracking number
it has a been a mixed bag for me, but your guess was a winner today as I got a second notice that the packages reached the post office in San Diego.

All my strains have arrived, got last 2 yesterday with only one having ice pack, both vials were the same balmy 77F. Guess I will brewing something wlp033 next.

All my strains have arrived, got last 2 yesterday with only one having ice pack, both vials were the same balmy 77F. Guess I will brewing something wlp033 next.

Same exact thing here. Going to brew Young's Special Bitter from Graham Wheeler's book with the 033.

Same exact condition as yours, but 77F is not a killer temp. As far as brewing, it just seems I've been waiting so long for it, so I want to use it right away.

I got my final order of WLP085 today with a melted ice pack. :)

Will check if they can still do WLP013 since I brainfarted and ordered 2 WLP011 instead of 1 WLP011 and 1 WLP013

Also
1) harvested about 2 pounds worth of East Seattle Goldings hops
2) made a House British Ale suicide blend starter using notty, pub, windsor, adnan's, burton, irish, w yorkie, whitbread, WLP026, WLP085 & S-04
3) fired up a Harvest Ale today (8.5# golden promise, 1# flaked barley, 1# invert #3)
4) will pitch in the morning

White Labs might be the worst company I’ve ever ordered something from. It’s mind boggling how screwed up they’re whole system is.

Get an email saying to expect my order of German Lager X to ship soon... crickets

Call two weeks later. Took them forever to find the order in their “system” even though I gave them an order number. Was told yeast was being produced and would ship out the following Monday... crickets

Week and a half goes by, call again. Again give them the same order number and I’m put on hold for 5 minutes while they figure out what’s going on. Said it “shipped” and I should have seen it by now but they had no tracking. Then was told they’d ship more out on Monday, overnight for free... WTF

Almost every order I’ve placed with them within the last year has had equally as mind boggling yet different issues.

I almost feel sorry for the people who have to do customer service there. It sounds like one big gigantic cluster F*ck.

Going to brew Young's Special Bitter from Graham Wheeler's book with the 033.

Random, but I've tried brewing Young's Special Bitter with both WLP033 and WY1768 (multiple times), both of which are supposedly the Young's strain, and have not been crazy happy with any of them. Much too clean, no real top cropping ability, and lacks the characteristic ethyl heptanoate note of the real stuff. Fast forward, kegged a bitter made with WLP030 this week and first taste was "holy **** this tastes like Young's!"

The mouthfeel of WLP030 is also terrific, will be interesting to see how it ages, but I definitely plan to use it to brew some Youngs clones.

Back