White IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deejlaweej

Reaction score
Hey guys first off just wanna say thanks for all the great info and comradery from this site and its members. I am a fairly new brewer ( 5 batches in) and am designing my first recipe. Just wanted some insight to see if I have something tasty in mind, or if I'm totally off. I am planning on using Amarillo and Mosaic for the flavor/aroma and dry hop. I am hoping the fruityness of these will play very well with the wheat beer yeast, and the coriander & bitter orange flavors. I think my ultimate goal is to achieve a wit with the hop bitterness and flavor of an IPA.

White IPA ( I think).

BIAB/Partial mash 5gal.

5#s American Wheat
2#s 2row
1# Torrified Wheat
1# White Wheat
3#s Light DME (late add @ 15min)
1oz coriander (5 min)
1oz bitter orange peel (5 min)

Mash @ 154º for 75 min.

1oz magnum @ 60min.
2oz Mosaic @ 10min.
2oz Amarillo @ 10min.
1oz Mosaic @ flameout.
1oz Amarillo @ flameout.
1oz Mosaic dry hop for 5 days.
1oz Amarillo dry hop for 5 days.

Safale wb-06 wheat beer yeast
Ferment @ 68º

O.G.- 1.066
F.G.- 1.010
ABV- 7.3%
SRM- 4
IBU-58

I like white IPAs, but I don't like "weizen" flavors of clove and bubblegum, or coriander, in them. You've got wit flavors (coriander and orange peel) and a hefeweizen yeast with American grains and hops.

If you're going for a hefeweizen, but hopped up, it could work. Are you trying to match a specific commercial style? Or just trying to make something to your liking with hefeweizen flavors and hoppiness?

If that's what you were planning, then it would work out for you. I would find this undrinkable, though, as I hate hefeweizens and wits, but LOVE IPAs.

Yeah I too am partial to IPAs but do not care for hefe's. I am basically trying to replicate Lost Coast Brewerys Sharkinator white IPA. It's a wit but hopped up with American hops. I say replicate because "my" version has a little more ibu and abv.

If you don't care for German hefeweizens then you'd better get rid of the WB-06 and get a Belgian yeast.

I make an American wheat that gets Amarillo and Citra late hops with willamette and cascade @ 30. I agree your yeast choice might be a little weird with the hops but it's your beer. I use American wheat yeast but if you need dry S-04 is similar to what Lagunitas uses in their little Sumpin Sumpin, which is a wheat IPA. True Hefeweizen yeasts are supposed to be the main component of any beer they are in.

I should have expressed that the yeast along with the bitter orange peel and coriander are the main variables in question. I picked up the wb-06 because I was told it was a wit beer strain. I am not restricted to dry yeast just wanted to use what I have. My last brew was an attempt at this but it was all extract fermented with T-58. It was a good beer just not what I was going for, a little more of a Belgian IPA than a white IMO. Anyways this time around I would really like to capture more of the actual flavor that I want. I have read opposing opinions on which yeast to use for this style. Some prefer 3944 Belgian wit and some say 1056 American Ale.I may just leave out the spices and orange peel and go with an American Ale. I plan on doing another IPA (fresh Squeezed clone) after this anyway so maybe I could pitch on top of this cake and keep it going? Other than the yeast what do you think of the grain bill and hop schedule? I just got a pound of Mosaic and Amarillo and can't wait to make some heady IPAs.

Did some digging and found out that Lost coast brewery basically does their flagship wit with a substantial dry hopping. I also talked the lhbs and refined my recipe to as follows

6# Belgian pils
2# Torrified Wheat
3# Bavarian wheat DME @ 15min
.5 oz bitter orange peel @ 5min
.5 oz coriander seed @ 5min
2 chamomile tea bags @ 5min
Wyeast 3944 Belgian Wit @68º

.5 oz Magnum (FWH)
1oz Amarillo @ flameout
1oz Mosaic @ flameout
2oz Amarillo (5day dry hop)
2oz Mosaic (5day dry hop)

Thanks for your input. Will be brewing this tomorrow a.m. let ya know if its close to the Sharkinator or not.

Cheers!

Back