Which to brew this weekend, lager or ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mascrappo

Reaction score
I have 2 kits waiting on me, Helles Half Acre lager and Bass ale clone. Just bottled one Dortmunder and another Dortmunder clone in secondary. Decisions decisions!

Good deal. Hope you just decided to make both.
Are you using the secondary to make room in the primary?

I went with Ale. My better half is under the weather, so she can't assist...or I would have made both! I am getting ready to free up the secondary and bottle Dortmunder #2 today.

I alternate light and dark. I don’t differentiate between Lager vs Ale because I use the same timeline for both. It’s the same 3 week cycle: brew/ferment > condition/lager > tap1 > tap2. Clean, prepare, plan in between.

Here’s my current BeerSmith cloud list. The first two are tapped, the third is conditioning/layering/maturing/carbonating/whatever, the forth is on deck or fermenting, five and beyond that are planned (may change):

IMG_1337.png

I alternate light and dark. I don’t differentiate between Lager vs Ale because I use the same timeline for both. It’s the same 3 week cycle: brew/ferment > condition/lager > tap1 > tap2. Clean, prepare, plan in between.

Here’s my current BeerSmith cloud list. The first two are tapped, the third is conditioning/layering/maturing/carbonating/whatever, the forth is on deck or fermenting, five and beyond that are planned (may change):

View attachment 656463

Are you using the Bonlander Munich malt for the Bonlander on your list? I have used that malt on various brews and something about it just doesn’t mesh well with me. It has a flavor I can not get over and I taste it even when used in the smallest amounts. I’d like to hear your take on that.

Are you using the Bonlander Munich malt for the Bonlander on your list? I have used that malt on various brews and something about it just doesn’t mesh well with me. It has a flavor I can not get over and I taste it even when used in the smallest amounts. I’d like to hear your take on that.

Yes. I am drinking that beer now. This is the first time using it. I am not noticing anything odd.

Back