Which Beersmith mobile app

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sdiddy84

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to brewing and beersmith in general.

I'm wondering which app to get for my phone. Beersmith Lite which is 3 bucks or Beersmith 2 Mobile app which is 8. The only difference I can find would be the editing of recipes which I don't need since I do all my recipes on the desktop app.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on both and if saving the 5 bucks is worth it.

I like the idea of having my phone on me for brew day and to use their timer instead of setting one every step of the way. Not to mention if I'm at my LHBS it would be nice to pull up a recipe and grab the ingredients.

No offense to Dr. Smith here but I would save the money and not bother with either.

All you need is the desktop version...you can save your recipes to the cloud and pull them up without the app...also there are free timer apps that let you set multiple timers at once.

Cheers and Beers

I recommend downloading google rewards and after a few months you will accumulate enough money to pay for the $8 app. I use it every brew day for timers.

I have both the desktop version and the $8 version of the mobile app. Swinging that much for an app is quite a leap (it's far and away the most I've ever spent) but it's one of my favorite apps and has my endorsement - not that my endorsement means anything to you. I use the mobile app as much, perhaps more than, my desktop version.

As another poster said, if you have Android, get Google Rewards and earn the cash to buy the app.

I have the desktop, looked at the limitations of the apps and decided not to spend the money on the apps. I have a laptop that I just take to my brew porch on brew day.

I've had the full desktop version since the v1.4 days, use it for building recipes, managing my inventory, and ran it on a laptop on brew days for the process and timers.

When the mobile version came out I had credit left on a Play gift card so I gave it a try on a 10" Tab S2, and quickly found it was literally a cleaner solution.
Grain dust, hop fragments and wort-sticky fingerprints are hella harder to clean out/off a laptop than a tablet. Takes like 10 seconds to clean the latter.

I pull my recipe of the day off the cloud, adjust strike temperature with fresh grain and HLT temperature readings, use the timers to get through the process, and use the Notes section to log all the pertinent data. When the brew session is done I upload the edited recipe back up to the cloud and pull it back down to my desktop, update any of the post-process data entries to generate things like efficiency numbers, then have it automagically remove the ingredients from inventory.

I've never tried to build a recipe on the mobile version, and I'm pretty sure it has zero awareness of "inventory".
I think it really serves best as a companion to the desktop version...

Cheers!

Back