Where to go for a beer in Houston/Galveston

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wxman73

Reaction score
Hi

Im heading to Houston (Spring TX) to visit relatives. Ill also be going to Galveston. I was hoping to find a place where i can get a local pint. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I moved from that area about a year ago, lived on the west side of Friendswood right by FM 528 and 35.

Anywho, I enjoyed T-bone Tom's right by the Kemah Boardwalk. Good BBQ, had some decent locals on tap. If you check their website you could probably get some actual dates, but they had some pretty good bands playing live while you eat on their GIANT patio. It is loud if you are seated right by the stage. Kids loved it because of the dance floor that they could go crazy on while we had apps and beers.

If you go I would recommend the armadillo eggs as an appetizer. They are fried BBQ brisket stuff jalapeños.

Other than there, I would stay away from Twin Peaks (very sick from the food twice because I don't learn). Most mexican places are stellar, which should be no surprise.

I would launch my kayak to go fishing from Louis Bait Camp in Bayou Vista (about 5 miles north of Galveston off I-45). Decent hole in the wall bar with some decent food. Some of the locals can be a bit to deal with there though.

If I think of anymore stand out ones I will edit and post. We stuck to fast food for lunches while working and the couple mexican places in Friendswood.

In the last year, two great craft bars have opened in LeagueCity/Kemah area.

Nobi Public House is the top choice.

In Kemah is Skallywag Suds N Grub. It is small, but has good food and a great tap selection.... almost as good as Nobi.. you'd be happy either place.

I'd put Boondoggles as the third best place.

These places have by far the best beer selection on your way down 45 towards Galveston. Any would be a good place to stop on the way to Galveston or on the way back. Nobi Public House is closest to I-45 which is the direct route to Galveston from Houston.

In Galveston there are a couple of good options.

Beerfoot Beach Bar has lots of good beer.

If you are near the historic Strand of Galveston, check out this place...

Brews Brothers

I don't know the Spring area as well. There is a Mellow Mushroom somewhere up there... and there are several places in the Woodlands to drink, but someone else will have more expertise in that area.

Anyway, for great craft beer.. with lots of Texas breweries on tap... the places I have listed are the best in the area.. way more beer than T Bone Toms... and the Tex Mex restaurants will have good food and terrible beer. ha.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Sorry to hijack the thread, but can anyone recommend some good bottle shops in Houston as well? I'll be visiting my girlfriend's family there soon, and I'd like to pick up some Jester King and Prairie while I'm down there. Last time we went to Specs downtown, which had lots of stuff but not much Jester King. Anywhere else worth checking out? I think they live north of the city.

Thanks for chiming in bford. I only lived there for slightly over a year and didn't get too much of a chance to explore due to working and being on call 24 hours a day.

I would go with his places ha haaa.

Thanks for chiming in bford. I only lived there for slightly over a year and didn't get too much of a chance to explore due to working and being on call 24 hours a day.

I would go with his places ha haaa.

Well the truth is.. if you've been gone a year... Nobi opened just before Christmas 2013... Skallywags opened sometime in 2014! So you didn't have much of a chance. It's unfortunate you didn't get to go to Boondoggles... a very English style pub off Nasa Road 1.

:mug:

I will remember those. My wife stills had a friend she deployed with who lives there and she wants to visit her in about a year.

While in Houston check out petrol bar (lots of hoppy beers). Hay merchant (lots of good beers for $3 during happy hr) then go next door to underbelly for supper. Growler beer company (local bottle shop). Karbach brewery does tours/tasting on Mondays,Fridays,and Saturday. D&T drive inn ( Texas icehouse bar vibe with 50 craft beers on tap)

prestige worldwide, bungs and holes

I grew up in Houston and still visit monthly. My personal favorite is Hay Merchant.

Hay Merchant
1100 Westheimer Rd, Houston, TX
(713) 528-9805
http://binged.it/1n90i2A

Absolutely great selection and rare beers are often available. And to top it off their prices are better than reasonable. (3.99 for 12 oz of Prarie Noir not during happy hour!)

But... while were at it... It's worth mentioning that you'd be only ~3 hours from Jester King. That's really where you want to be. I think a small road trip would be in order. Bring the relatives

Sorry to hijack the thread, but can anyone recommend some good bottle shops in Houston as well? I'll be visiting my girlfriend's family there soon, and I'd like to pick up some Jester King and Prairie while I'm down there. Last time we went to Specs downtown, which had lots of stuff but not much Jester King. Anywhere else worth checking out? I think they live north of the city.

Spec's on Smith Street near downtown Houston still generally has the most stuff.... but Prairie and Jester King are hit and miss.. just depends on what is being released by them at the time... Jester King is selling a lot more beer at their brewery.

D&Q Beer Station

any of the Houston area Whole Foods will have a nice craft bottle selection

Central Market, another high end grocery store.

Luckily for me.... while I enjoy an occasional Jester King or Prairie... they really aren't my favorite, so I don't have to worry about chasing them down.

Luckily for me.... while I enjoy an occasional Jester King or Prairie... they really aren't my favorite, so I don't have to worry about chasing them down.

What have you had from Jester King or Prarie so far? Sounds like you've had their run of the mill beers, not their limited release stuff....

I've had Atrial... but it just isn't my favorite style.. not what I'm looking for in a beer..

I've had Funk Metal, RU55, Censored, Boxer's Revenge and then basically all of their regulars...

Not a big sour fan, enjoy maybe 2-3 oz at a time.... and I just don't have time in my life right now to drive up there often and buy bottles at their place.

I do like what they are doing... others just enjoy it more.

Back