when to remove hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheetrowe

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've always had this question but haven't asked it yet! Let's say we're dealing with a standard 1-2-3 hopping profile for a recipe, with the flavor hops going in at 30 min and the aroma hops going in at flameout or with 1 min left.

I'm using a 25' copper immersion wort chiller in combo with an ice bath. I usually stir and can get the temp down to pitching temp in about 15-20 min.

Do you usually remove your hops before the cooling process or after? I've always left them in there, but I wonder if, except for maybe the aroma hops, I should remove the others so that I'm hitting my target IBU more accurately.

Will the bittering hops and/or the flavor hops add more bitterness during the cooling process? (I don't know if stirring affects this either)

Any feedback is welcome and appreciated, thanks!

When I bag my hops I take them out after the wort has cooled a little. No specific timing. They are all in the same bag (unless there are a ton of hops) so they all come out at the same time. If I am doing a late "hop stand" I will leave those while the wort cools on it's own for 20-30 minutes. I have recently read that these do better when you add then after the wort has cooled to 170 degrees or so. I will have to try this soon.

The last couple have only had a little amount of hops, so they went right into the kettle. They are in there (except for what stayed behind in the kettle) until the end.

There's no need to remove the hops while chilling even if you could. Many Brewers don't use bags or spiders at all, so the hops stay in for the duration and may even go into the fermenter with the sort without any problem. I would be curious to know if the IBU calculators include the time the buttering hops are in the kettle after the boil is over.

\f0\fs34 \cf0 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 \
}I

Remember that the isomerization happens via the hops oils. You can't remove the oils, even if you remove the hops debris itself. So, there is no reason at all to remove the hops prior to chilling. You don't have to remove them after chilling, either, but many people do strain on the way to the fermenter.

Back