When to re-pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rms5555

Reaction score
I did some brewing Saturday night and I think I may have pitched my yeast when the wort was still a little too warm. I was using a new thermometer and it was showing 75 degrees but it felt warmer then that. I noticed about 2 hours later the air lock was going crazy. Unfortunately I left a few hours after that and didn't get home until late last night. I checked on the brew when I got home and saw almost no activity at all and almost all of the water had blown out of the airlock. I have had fermentation's stall before so refilled the airlock and I tried giving it a good shake hoping the agitation would get the yeast going again. When I got up this morning I was still not seeing a whole lot of activity going on.

Should I re-pitch at this point? What are my options?

sounds like it is done fermenting. you gotta take a gravity reading to know.

You had active fermentation and you are still seeing activity. Do nothing. Take a hydro reading for s&g. Nothing in your accounting of activity suggests you have a stuck fermentation.

Back