When to add gypsum in an ag batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just figured id ask because I made a bitter and added gypsum to all of my brewing water before starting anything. Just asking if that was the right thing to do, or should I have added it to the mash only?

This was a 5 gal batch, the first thing I did was add 3 tsp of gypsum to the 8 gallons of water needed for this batch.

Ideally you need to start with a water report so you know what your base water profile is. 3 tsps sounds like a lot of gypsum. I add gypsum to my mash and its usually no more than a few grams based on the type of beer I'm brewing and the hop profile. Gypsum will raise the sulfate levels in the mash/sparge water. Hoppy beers will typically be around 200-300ppm and some as high as 350ppm. If you go to high you can get weird minerally off flavors in the finished product.

If you have a water report then I would suggest you use EZwater calculator or go to Bru'n Water for calculating your additions based upon your report and the style of beer you are brewing instead of randomly guessing.

It depends on WHY you're adding it. If you're trying to lower your mash PH, then you add it to the mash. If you're doing it for flavor, it can go in the boil.

Not sure, just said on the bottle to add 1-2 tsp per 5gal, so with 8 gal of water, i figured id add 3 tsp. but it was kind of just a guess, never messed with water profile before, kinda a beginner. So anyway, any reason my gypsum addition is...off?

Not sure, just said on the bottle to add 1-2 tsp per 5gal, so with 8 gal of water, i figured id add 3 tsp. but it was kind of just a guess, never messed with water profile before, kinda a beginner. So anyway, any reason my gypsum addition is...off?

Maybe it's off because you only need gypsum if you need it.

If you don't know how much sulfate you already have in your water, you shouldn't add more.

It'd be like putting 3 tablespoons of salt in campbell's soup without tasting it first. Probably not too harmful, but probably not necessary or an improvement.

Like Yooper said, It may be off, it may not be. Without knowing what your base water profile is there is really no way to know if it was needed or not or in what amount.

Latest posts

Back