When a SMaSH Goes Bad -disinfecting after infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ContinuousD

Reaction score
Short Story -
I have a batch that is infected, and I'm going to wait it out, bottle it and drink it. It may be good and it may not. The question is do I need to worry about the gear I use to bottle and future infections, e.g the bottling bucket, wand and so on? What is the best way to make sure I don't infect future beers?

The long story -
I have been brewing for close to 20 years and I have a good idea of what looks right and wrong. I brewed a simple SMaSH with the goal to compare
S-04 and S-05 so I could pick a standard for my new house ale. After the boil I split the batch into two 3 gallon carboys. I had rehidrated a packet of S-04 and S-05, carefully keeping both seperate to avoid cross contamination, including using seperate rooms, funnels and so on. I'm not sure where I got the bug but it was either from the yeast, the pyrex I rehidrated in, or the carboy.

So now the S-04 batch looks nice and happy after a month, and the S-05, well not so happy with some kind of brett or lacto, or who knows.

My SMaSH comparison is not valid, oh well that is what makes this fun, I'll just try again and drink the errors, but I don't want to carry the problem on.

Should I just do an extended soak of everything with Star San, bleach or simalar, or should I be worried about what will hang out in the bottling bucket?

For those who will ask, sorry, no pics at this time. If I get a moment I will add some.

Anything glass is easy. Heat it up or bleach it to get sanitary. Plastic may be a bit worse. If anything is dishwasher safe (funnel, etc.), that should do the trick. Anything else, like hoses and buckets may just have to go, if you're serious about avoiding future infections. That may be over and above what's necessary, but it's probably cheaper to just replace some of this stuff now than ruin another batch or two.

I'd replace the bucket and hoses. If the bucket has absolutely no scratches at all, you could do a bleach sani on that, but I don't think I'd ever reuse a hose that I knew had seen infected wort/beer go through it.

Back