Wheat yeasts - sulfur odors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wxman73

Reaction score
Hi

I have yet to brew a wheat beer (4 so far) without the yeast producing sulfur. Im not sure what im doing to piss the yeast off. This has happened with the wyeat 3068 and the wyeast american wheat (1010?).

Ive pitched at 70f. With ferment temp on one brew 62f and 68 for the others.

I know patience and the sulfur will clear, but how do i prevent this in the future?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That's perfectly normal, and it will go away. It's hydrogen sulfide, produced by the yeast during anaerobic fermentation. Don't worry about how it smells during fermentation, just see it through proper process as usual and you'll have a good wheat beer.

i've had this issue with 3068. it goes away, but it takes its sweet time doing so. i am going to delve into this issue further in the coming months. specifically, i'm wondering if i can devise a nutrient mix and schedule that will eliminate or at least greatly reduce the sulfide development. it's really frustrating and i think we can do better than 'wait it out.' i'm kind of wondering if this strain has a really high nitrogen requirement. there is a lot of helpful research in winemaking texts on yeasts' production of H2S.

i'm wondering a couple of things:
1) do you use yeast nutrients? if so, can you provide details?
2) do you adjust the pH of your water or mash? to what?
3) what is your water source?

From my limited understanding stressing the yeast can cause this. But how am i stressing the yeast. I think my pitch and ferment temperatures are fine. I use the wyeast smack pack. I don't make a proper starter other than smacking the pack ad waiting 6 hours before pitching.

But yes patience will get me through for now. Luckily I'm on vacation next week so i wont be thinking about that hefe in the fermentor. And when i get back it should be without the sulfur smell.

Sorry, missed your questions:

1) i dot use nutrients. I just smack the pack and throw it in.
2) i have not even checked my pH. So i dont adjust it.
3) my water source is tap water. I didn't notice if it was high in sulfides on the water report. I had been using campden tablets to get rid of the chlorine in the water, but thinking the sulfides produced from that might be the problem on my last brew i didn't use the campden. Still ha the sulfur.

Sure, there is room to improve your yeast health based on what information you've provided us, but are you still under the impression that sulfur production from wheat beer yeasts is bad?

I use professionally grown and counted yeast cells with proper pitching and environmentals, and expect to get some sulfur during the ferment. The beers turn out great. Be patient, and don't fear the intermittent sulfur :)

Back