Whats size kettle do I need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TorMag

Reaction score
Ok, I have done the research and I am going to move to BIAB from extract. So what size kettle do I need 10 gallon or 15? I have my keezer set up with my 5 gallon corney kegs, so that is my end product, 5 gallon batches. I am sure I am going to want to brew some higher ABV brews with larger grain bills. I have done ton of research today and I am still stuck on this subject.

Thanks in advance.

I went with a 15 gallon, mostly so I could have the room for some larger beers. You could probably get away with a 10 but may push it close on a few really big beers.

Concord makes a 50 qt., or 12.5 gallon. Bayou classic makes a 44qt, 11 gallon.

If you ever plan to make larger batches, the 15 gallon pot could squeek a 10 gallon batch.

Yet a 10 gallon could do a large beer, especially if you add a small sparge.

What are you using to heat? A smaller kettle is more stove friendly.

No simple answer really, pros and cons....

Sorry to just add more options and confusion lol

Buy/find an old keg. Can do most 10 gallon batches and also big 5's. I have a 3 gallon, 5 gallon, and a 10 gallon from going through stages. Got an old keg from a buddy and that's all I use now

I would suggest not less than twice the intended batch size, but the more the better (how is that for a bogus answer?). But as everyone above has mentioned, you really need to think about where you will end up with batch size and not where you are today.

Oh man, you gotta have at least a 60 gallon kettle....or maybe not. If you will only be making 5 gallon batches the smallest you can get by with is about 7 1/2 gallons. Bigger may be better as it gives you more room for the hot break so it doesn't spill over but going too big will mean you need a bigger heat source to get to a boil since the heat will be radiating off all sides and to keep it boiling you will end up with more boil off. Unless you expect to brew 10 gallon batches in the near future, I'd be looking for somewhere between 8 and 10 gallon kettle. If you intend to do the high gravity batches you mention, the 10 would be better.

I have an 8 gallon Tall Boy and have to sparge when I do a BIAB for a medium gravity (1.050-1.065) beer. I kind of wish I had just spent the extra $20 and got a 10-gallon, but you have to figure out for yourself what is best - savings or ease of use. Generally people never regret buying the bigger kettle.

Thanks everyone. I find myself leaning toward the 15 gallon Tall Boy. When I pull the trigger, Wilserbrewer, look for my bag order......

Thanks everyone. I find myself leaning toward the 15 gallon Tall Boy. When I pull the trigger, Wilserbrewer, look for my bag order......

I'm sure the Tall Boy is a nice pot at $175 shipped, but IMHO Concord is worth a look unless you have a rich uncle lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONCORD-Sta...hash=item20da980ec1:m:mZITm8bwt3usUoa9QvYH3PA

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONCORD-Pol...hash=item20fd189049:m:mpPuevxvxy2IzMuXj4gs9ow

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONCORD-Hom...hash=item20edae3730:m:mdTw25IHRK8tQ356wq35R7w

occasionally or weekly the ebay concord pots are 10% off as well....say $90 for the 15 gal.

I'm sure the Tall Boy is a nice pot at $175 shipped, but IMHO Concord is worth a look unless you have a rich uncle lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONCORD-Sta...hash=item20da980ec1:m:mZITm8bwt3usUoa9QvYH3PA

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONCORD-Pol...hash=item20fd189049:m:mpPuevxvxy2IzMuXj4gs9ow

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONCORD-Hom...hash=item20edae3730:m:mdTw25IHRK8tQ356wq35R7w

occasionally or weekly the ebay concord pots are 10% off as well....say $90 for the 15 gal.

So how is the bottom of the concord pot? Is it thin?

Thanks

Ok, per your suggestion, I pulled the trigger and got a Concord pot. I got the 50 qt, that should be more then enough based on what I have read. Also, placed my order for one of the bags. You should see it.

Thanks again.

Got it, thank you. Sorry no rich uncle, but you should be very happy with the Concord 50, maybe even thrilled for less than 1/2 the TB 60.

I got a kick out of NB web site, the Tall Boy is listed under "Economy Kettles" at $175 shipped...I gotta get out more often lol

Buy/find an old keg. Can do most 10 gallon batches and also big 5's. I have a 3 gallon, 5 gallon, and a 10 gallon from going through stages. Got an old keg from a buddy and that's all I use now

For BIAB, kegs are not the best choice.

Also there's the quasi-legality of it.

All; Thanks for the recommendation on the Concord Kettle. It arrived last night and I was pleasantly surprised at the quality. For the price, I was expecting something cheap, thin with a thin bottom. I am really happy with the quality, the sides are somewhat thin, but the bottom is like a Kardashian.

Oh yeah, just got back from a lunch time trip to my LHBS and got all the ingredients for my first BIAB. Will be enjoying this great Atlanta weather tomorrow and brewing my first BIAB, a porter, outside. The car smells like a grain silo right now.....

You got your answer and bought the pot but here's a quick table for other people trying to figure it out.

Batch Size Kettle Size (gallons) Max Grain Weight (LBS) Max Gravity at 70% efficiency
5 10 22 1.106
5 15 50 1.220
10 15 22 1.077
15 20 25 1.058
15 25 50 1.116

If you will only be making 5 gallon batches the smallest you can get by with is about 7 1/2 gallons. .

There is no way to get 5 gallons into your fermentor using a 7-1/2 gallon kettle. Not even with a 1.035 grain bill.

I started with a 10 gallon kettle and it was dicey. If you want 5 gallons into packaging, your minimum kettle size will be closer to 12 gallons. 15 will give you more flexibility for big beers and minimizes the chances for a boil-over.

There is no way to get 5 gallons into your fermentor using a 7-1/2 gallon kettle. Not even with a 1.035 grain bill.

I started with a 10 gallon kettle and it was dicey. If you want 5 gallons into packaging, your minimum kettle size will be closer to 12 gallons. 15 will give you more flexibility for big beers and minimizes the chances for a boil-over.

If you sparge you can- that said, it is going to be tight at boil time and I agree that you ought to get a bigger pot to avoid boil overs and simplify things.

I can and have. That doesn't mean you can. It's darn tight for a mash and boil and you have to really keep the boil low but it can be done. it also requires you to have very high efficiency so you don't need lots of grain.

I can and have. That doesn't mean you can. It's darn tight for a mash and boil and you have to really keep the boil low but it can be done. it also requires you to have very high efficiency so you don't need lots of grain.

It's really bad advice to suggest someone can make a "5 gallon" batch in a 7-1/2 gallon kettle. Most people would consider a 5 gallon batch to be their volume into packaging. Using any available BIAB calculator will indicate a minimum of a 7.75 gallon mash volume with a light grain bill.

I plugged the following into Beersmith:

5 Gallon batch (Bottling Volume)
80% Total Efficiency
7-3/4# of grain (1.044 OG)
60 Minute boil

And the result is: Mash Volume 8.31 gallons

Now if your mash volume is 5 gallons, then you can certainly use a 7-1/2 gallon kettle - it's just not what most people will understand to be a "5 gallon" batch. Not having a vigorous boil is also bad juju.

It's really bad advice to suggest someone can make a "5 gallon" batch in a 7-1/2 gallon kettle. Most people would consider a 5 gallon batch to be their volume into packaging. Using any available BIAB calculator will indicate a minimum of a 7.75 gallon mash volume with a light grain bill.

I plugged the following into Beersmith:

5 Gallon batch (Bottling Volume)

80% Total Efficiency

7-3/4# of grain (1.044 OG)

60 Minute boil

And the result is: Mash Volume 8.31 gallons

Now if your mash volume is 5 gallons, then you can certainly use a 7-1/2 gallon kettle - it's just not what most people will understand to be a "5 gallon" batch. Not having a vigorous boil is also bad juju.

Well that's funny nearly all my batches have been 5 gallons into keg with approx 5.5gallons into fermenter and I use a 7.5gallon pot. As long as you aren't mashing with full volume ( I usually go with 1.25qts/lb of grain) you can easily do 5 gallon batches with a 30qt pot. Just have to watch the beginning of boil for boil over but fermcap S can be your best friend there. So I don't know about Bad Advice but a lot of people out there are using that size pot for 5 gallon batches. Just my .02 cents. I'm sure lots of other people have varying results with this so I'm sure not everyone will agree.

Definitely go bigger than you need. I would suggest an old keg 15.5 gallons, the only MT/Bk you'll ever need. I got mine with welded fittings and a SS valve for 99$

I bought a 10 gallon pot, thought it was going to be bigger than I'd need. Little did I know that I should have went to a 15 gallon pot. If I want to continue to do full volume mash, and no sparge. I ran 19.25 lbs of grains with 9 gallons of water in my Spike kettle. Well I had to drain out about 1 to 1.5 gallons out to fit it in. Then I just resparged it back in later. Always go bigger than you think that you need. Usually you wont regret it. So now I'll have a 10 gallon and a 15 gallon pot.

Latest posts

Back