What's it called???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenick

Reaction score
Greeting beer lovers!

Okay, so I am curious. Right now, I have only done one batch and it was using a canned wort (coopers pilsner). I loved it! I think what I loved the best though was the simplicity of it all. Now, I know I'll get people telling me to brew my own grains and what not, but for right now, I am happy with this.

But my question is about terminology and that's what I think is holding me back. So here we go:

I brew using a canned wort - what is that called?

What is extract vs partial mash vs mash vs grain....etc? Im getting confused and when I get confused I get frustrated.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the help everyone!!!

Extract is all malt extract (liquid or dry) and water.
Extract and specialty grains uses some crushed grains that are steeped in about 150 - 160 degree water.
Partial mash uses extract and a wort made from some base + specialty grains that are mashed in the 150 - 154 degree range for about one hour.
All grain is a few different processes that do not use any malt extracts. This gives a lot of control over the final product. Good or bad!

All will make good beer. The less reliance on extracts allows more control over the finished product.

As an in between I like extract kits with specialty grains. They are good for doing on the kitchen stove and give a little more that just canned extracts. I started with Northern Brewer Kits.

I brew using a canned wort - what is that called?

HME- "Hopped Malt Extract" is liquid malt extract (LME) that already has the hops (or hop oils) added to it.

What is extract vs partial mash vs mash vs grain....etc? Im getting confused and when I get confused I get frustrated.

Extract - a brew made with malt extract, whether it's HME, LME, DME (Dry Malt Extract) or a combination of them. Recipes using LME and/or DME often also use steeping grains (usually in a muslin sack, 155*F water 30 min) for colr, flavor and body.

Partial Mash- Similar to using steeping grains, but will also include base grains that provide some of the fermentable sugars. LME or DME and hops are added after the "mini mash" of those grains.

Full mash or "All Grain" - all of the grains are added to an amount of water for a longer period (usually an hour or so) at a specified temperature (typically in the upper 140 to mid-150 range). Under those conditions, the starches in the grains convert to sugars. Those sugars in the water are the basis for the "wort" to which hops are then added.

Thanks guys for the reply.

For me, I think I'm happy sticking with extract or HME brewing for now. I like the finished product and until I have more time on my hands and patients I will stick with it.

I have been using Coopers (most available one in my area). Have you ever tried anything else that you loved and can offer for a good try?

Back