What to do for yeast with this extract kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RasMouSein

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Good Day !

Got this extract kit from Best Case (Nova-Scotia, Canada)
http://bestcasebeer.ca/best-coast-ipa.html

for a 6 gallons batch,

Best Coast IPA

Boilling 2.5 Gallon including LME

Extract
4.5Kg Light LME

Steep
300g Medium Crystal Malt
300g Munich Malt

Hops
boilling 92g Cascasde (45-60min)
Flavor 40g Cascade (8-10min)
Finnish 100g Cascade (1min- flame out)

Kit came with one packet of Nottingham Ale Dry Yeast
http://www.danstaryeast.com/products/nottingham-ale-beer-yeast

OG should be around 1.060-64, First time going higher than 1.045...

Is it gonna be enough ? will it go down to 1.010 ?
Should I buy another and re-hydrate 2 packets.
Or maybe make a starter with liquid yeast (Never done one)

Thanks for all input. Very appreciated !!

Get into making starters. It's kinda easy and fun. 200g dme per 2 liters water. Use Mr Malty pitch calculator (or whatever). You're prob gonna spend a little more cash but if you're investing all that time to make beer it's worth it.

Ever since i've done starters my beer went from blah with off flavors to fantastic. As long as you pitch proper and ferment at good temp

If you do dry, pitch 2 of them and hydrate.

Yeah my beers vastly improved when I made the switch to liquid yeasts. Mostly because of the sheer variety and it forced me to pay pay attention to picthing an adequate amount of yeast instead of just the usual 1 dry packet. For an IPA though nottingham or US-05 would work fine, thats pretty much what most would use anyway (liquid equivalent WY1056 or WLP001).

Personally, I like to use London Ale III (WY 1318) or the Heady Topper Conan strain (available through many smaller yeast makers) for my IPAs. Those strains are capable of producing esters that compliment american and new world hops veyr nicely

@saeroner : Thanks for the Mr Malty Calculator.
Way easier to use/understand then Brewer's Friend.

@ William_shakes_beer : I wouldn't know what flavor I want !! hehe
Thanks for the link, I will refer to when I start ordering stuff online.

Thanks all for the tips.

I'm gonna go to my LHBS see what they have for liquid, maybe I will make the switch.
Gonna get another packet of dry just in case I chicken out !! hehe

Edit

No Liquid yeast near me, need to order...
Maybe for the next batch then.

Do you guys order via your LHBS or online ?

Do you guys order via your LHBS or online ?

Online with 2 ice packs (in summer). put it back in the fridge as soon as you get it in. try to order on Mondays so it doesn't sit in storage over the weekend. morebeer ships free a lot of times. There's lote of options. I like the yeast bay too

An 11 gram pack of Nottingham should handle a 1.064 OG beer, if the yeast is fresh, has not been mishandled, and properly rehydrated. Two packs would offer a safety net.

Nottingham will produce fruity esters if the fermentation temperature is not held at the bottom of the yeasts range.

My preferred yeast for a clean, hoppy IPA, is US-05 or WY 1056. Best temperature range for both of these yeast is 18°C (65°F) to 20°C (68°F). Cooler fermentations can produce a peachy flavor. This flavor wouldn't be to evident in a well hopped IPA though.

Nothingham vs S-05...
one program says S-05 will finnish at lower gravity and another program says the oposite..
Never used S-05 do...

And ferment at 20c...

A 1.064 OG IPA finishes at 1.008 to 1.009 with WY 1056. US-05 is the dry version of 1056. I would expect a similar FG with US-05.

Nothingham vs S-05...
one program says S-05 will finnish at lower gravity and another program says the oposite..
Never used S-05 do...

And ferment at 20c...

If you're going to ferment at 20C, go with the S05. Nottingham gets sort of foul tasting above about 18C. S05 takes longer to clear- the yeast isn't very flocculant and usually requires some time to clear, while nottingham clears the beer as soon as it's done and drops out like a rock.

My preference for US style beers is a US yeast, generally speaking. For dry yeast, for an IPA I'd use either BRY-97 or S05. They are also "clean" when fermented warmer, up to about 22C or so.

Thanks All for all input. very appreciated !!
Learned a bunch

I will go with 2 Packs of S-05, at 20c
expiry date is Jan/2017
Next brew I will plan a bit and order liquid !! (on a monday ;) )

Back