I wanna HopStand, does it change the other hops utilization ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RasMouSein

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Good Day !

I'm making an extract kit. It's an IPA, and heard hopstand is really good .
Kit says 30min for the boiling hop, but always went 60min.
If I HopStand will it change the utilization of the Boiling and/or Flavor hop?
HopStand Technic : Add Finishing Hop at Flame-out and leave for 20min, stir to keep in suspensions then add immersion chiller.
Am I doing it correctly (hopstand)?
Should i drop temperature to 170f ? and do 20min.
Planned to use a kettle size Nylon bag.

Hops..................Kit says.......Should I?
Boilling 92g Cascasde (30min)........(60Min)
Flavor 40g Cascade ..(8min)........(8min)
Finnish 100g Cascade ..(1min).......(flameout and leave 20min) or drop temp a bit ?
Immersion Chiller

Thanks for all input !!!

Got this extract kit from Best Case (Nova-Scotia, Canada)
http://bestcasebeer.ca/best-coast-ipa.html

for a 6 gallons batch,
Best Coast IPA
Boilling 2.5 Gallon including LME
OG 1.060-64
Extract
4.5Kg Light LME
Steep
300g Medium Crystal Malt
300g Munich Malt

2 packs of Nottingham Ale Dry Yeast

The hop stand will not effect the utilization of the other hops. It will also not increase your IBUs. It's purpose is to increase hop aroma and flavor. The best way to do a hop stand is to cool your boiling wort to about 175F (below this temp hops no longer isomerize - i.e. no added bitterness) then stop cooling. Add your hops (2 oz is a good start), keep the lid on your BK and let them sit for 30 min. Then finish cooling, transfer to fermenter and pitch yeast.

I also usually do a dry hop for the last 5 - 7 days before bottling. Hopstands are big on flavor and dry hops are big on aroma. Great combination.

If your kit was designed for bittering hops to be added at 30 minutes but you add them at 60 minutes you might increase the bitterness A LOT!!!
I would not change the timing on the bittering hops unless you run the recipe through a calculator or have a good idea that you will like the results.

Other than that, BlueHouseBrewhaus covered it well.

I just want to stress the key to avoid additional bitterness from doing a hopstand is getting the temp down. If you turn off the heat then dump in hops and let it sit you will get additional bitterness.

@BlueHouseBrewhaus : That's what i ended up doing :) somewhat...
Dropped the finnishing at 1min then flame and put immersion chiller dropped to 170f and left for 20 min. And then chill to 72f. Hope the extra step give flavors.
And I was thinking about dry-hopping, thanks that's what I'll do, will be first time dry-hopping. :mug:

@kh54s10 : I used Brewers friend and it said that its in the line of a american ipa... Kinda. :confused:

60 min 32 IBU (Kit 30 min 25 Ibu). 92g(3.2oz)
8 min 4.24 ibu, 40g(1.4oz)
1 min 1.52, 100g(3.5oz)
total 38 Ibu. Wich is low for the style (according to the program)
So I added 100g(3.5oz) whirlpool @ 170 in the program same 100g(3.5oz) from the 1 min.
Thing is it shows 30 ibu, like the program does not know it stop contributing... But would be in line whit the style.

So I don't know now... but it does seems that it's either good Bitterness or to low.

Thank you peoples !!! Great Information here. Great Help !!! :mug:

Its very difficult to predict when you add the hops at flame out and allow the temp to fall across the stand.

I chill to 72-75°C add the hops and reapply heat to keep it with that temp range for the whole of the stand.

72-75°C is above pasteurisation temp and above cold break temp but below SMS to DMS conversion temp.

Dropped the finnishing at 1min then flame and put immersion chiller dropped to 170f and left for 20 min. And then chill to 72f. Hope the extra step give flavors.

So, did you add any hops after getting down to 170? If not, you may have lost a lot of the hop oils due to the high temp.

Hops have many different oils that go towards their flavor composotion, and most are lost at boiling temps - that's why flavor is lost after about 15 minutes of boiling. When you reduce the temp to 170 AND THEN ADD THE HOPS, you retain the oils with boiling points above 170 F that would normally be driven off with boiling wort.

I have started to leave my hopstands for 60 minutes. I used to go 30 minutes, but think the extra time is worth it.

I use a hop spider and dump all my boil hops while I let the wort cool to 170-175 then I put in my hopstand edition and cover the pot with foil sprayed with starsan. I'll let it sit with occasional stirring for basically as long as I want, I've done 30,45 and a 60 min before. I've also on a dipa dumped the boil hops out of the strainer bag then at 195 added half my hopstand let that cool to 175 and added the other half. All yielded good results and I don't know if I really picked up that much more bitterness on the dipa where I added half at 195 but it's a Belgian IPA with 85 Ibus so maybe they just blended in nicely. I think having a hop spider makes doing a hopstand so much easier because u can pull al the boil hops so you don't extract anymore bitterness but that's just me.

So, did you add any hops after getting down to 170? If not, you may have lost a lot of the hop oils due to the high temp.

No I haven't. T'was my first try... :) and it was a kit did not wanna go too for off the instruction.
It probably took +-6 min to drop to 170.
The smell out of the fermenter is great do' !
Next batch that's what I plan, This was my last pre-made kit. Moving on to better thing, partial mash/boil.
And for my next similar beer will do like you said.

@Queequeg it make sense ! Do you do similar to @olotti and remove hop at flame-out, and add below 76C(170f) ?

Thanks peoples !!

I leave any hops from the boil in the spider, cool to hopstand temp then add the stand additions in a nylon bag.

Virtually no extra bitterness because its below isomerization temp.

Back