Didn't strain out hops after boil - Did I ruin it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kombat

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a beginner, and I started a kit this past weekend. I boiled 10L of water, then dumped in 1.3 kg of LME and threw in 1 oz. of Cascade pellet hops and boiled it all together for 30 minutes. I then turned off the heat, mixed in a "Pale Ale" extract kit, another 5L of water, and chilled the whole thing down to 74 deg. F with a 2-stage immersion chiller (worked great! Only took 15 minutes!)

I then poured the whole thing into a 23L carboy, topped it up with still more water, pitched the yeast, and sealed it up with a plug and blowoff tube (into a small bucket of StarSan solution).

My question is, I did not strain out those hop pellets when I transferred to the carboy - is that going to be a problem? Fermentation kicked off nicely and it's roiling away as I type this, but I can see the trub at the bottom of the carboy. Is this going to create off flavours? Should I rack to secondary as soon as fermentation slows, to get the beer away from that hop trub, or is it fine?

No problems. And don't rush to secondary- keep it on the yeast and let it do it's thing. When you transfer later the beer should be clear- just leave the trub on the bottom.

It's really no problem. Lots of people don't worry about straining, because it's said that some hop particles actually aid the yeast in doing their thing, in some peculiar scientific way. The one thing you might lose out on is a bit of beer in the end, since the extra trub will soak up some that you otherwise would have been able to rack out of there.

Again, this is perfectly acceptable. I would estimate that half of all brewers do not filter out the hops unless they use a large amount.

They will settle to the bottom. When racking just be careful not to suck up too much trub. (the gunk on the bottom)

You can just leave the beer in the primary fermenter for 3-4 weeks then bottle. There is really no need to secondary unless you want to do it when adding things like fruit or dry hopping.

Just bottled my first brew last night and was wondering if when racking to the beer, if it is possible that the yeast is lost in the trub or if they yeast is always actively floating within the beer and there should be no concerns for carbing the beer?

Some yeast settles out (the lazy ones), but there are more than enough yeast still in suspension (the hard-working, industrious ones) to carbonate your beer after bottling.

Back