What Is this Foreign Object in My Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toilet Rocker

Reaction score
Hey,

I poured a commercially brewed imperial stout into a glass and once the head dissipated, the following thing was floating on top. I spooned it out into a small bowl. It has the consistency of an unbroken yolk. It appears to be a clear membrane with lots of tiny bubbles in it. It reminds me of a jellyfish. I poured another bottle from the same sixer and this was not present. I am going to contact the brewery, but thought I'd check to see what you guys think of it.

Note: Out of respect for the brewery, I did not include the brewery's name. This is not a bottle-conditioned beer.

The brewery responded that it's a fining agent and protein. I was thinking an infection, but for it to be clear, it didn't add up.

I didn't drink it.

I was going to say scoby myself. But just a fining agent with the proteins it took out? The beer should've been ok to drink.

Maybe I'm just in a devilish mood now, but if it were me, I'd be tempted to grab a Sharpie, doctor up that t-shirt and send them back a pic. "XYZ Brewing...Snotwad Imperial Stout" :cross:

Unless the beer tasted like vinegar, it's not a SCOBY. Even if the beer did, it's probably not a SCOBY. It's a blob of gelatin or whatever else the brewery uses to fine.

I recently had a similar problem

PART_1425942872085_IMG_20150309_191144494.jpg

I recently had a similar problem

That looks a lot like like a Delirium Tremens I poured once. Despite it having been sitting in my fridge a couple days, I could not see through the opaque painted bottle and notice that the sediment had come loose, and it poured out all speckled. And that beer has a shiat-load of yeast in the bottle. It still tasted OK, but I haven't been inclined to buy another since then.
/CSB

That looks a lot like like a Delirium Tremens I poured once. Despite it having been sitting in my fridge a couple days, I could not see through the opaque painted bottle and notice that the sediment had come loose, and it poured out all speckled. And that beer has a shiat-load of yeast in the bottle. It still tasted OK, but I haven't been inclined to buy another since then.
/CSB

I contacted them on facebook. They apparently "just got a machine to fix that" or something.

Unless the beer tasted like vinegar, it's not a SCOBY. Even if the beer did, it's probably not a SCOBY. It's a blob of gelatin or whatever else the brewery uses to fine.

I know that, as I'm sure the others do. I just commented that it reminded me of one. Never saw that in a beer before. But I have gotten bottles with a lot of trub/yeast breaking loose.

"Hey, Al! Remember that time we were bottling that batch and the glob of goo got through into the bottle and you said to let it go and see what happened? Well I got a phone call for you. This is going to cost you the shirt off your back!"

Back