What is the Real Benefit of a Plate Chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if this has been said or not but be careful with plate chillers. If you are unable to take them apart eventually you will get off flavors no matter how much acid, bases and water you back flush through them

Have passed probably 50 brews through my plate chiller with a mere counterwash at the end of the brewday with no off flavors... A few brews have even scored in the 40s in BJCP comps. Mine doesn't come apart. Your assessment is inaccurate.

Have passed probably 50 brews through my plate chiller with a mere counterwash at the end of the brewday with no off flavors... A few brews have even scored in the 40s in BJCP comps. Mine doesn't come apart. Your assessment is inaccurate.

A vote for a solid Immersion Cooler. Use 50', 1/2 inch copper (I made one myself). Similar to the one that is in photos above - longer pipe allows to make both inner and outer coils.

I have fairly warm tap water, yet I can cool from boil to 90F in 10min flat.
No cleaning is required. No clogging ever. Super-easy setup. Wort is in contact with outside only, which is easy to inspect.

Back