What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude I went to Pine Bush High. Maybe I KNOW you... HA!

Class of 1998.

Damn this is weird yeah we where in high school at the same time though you would have been in your sophomore year when I was a senior. I graduated in 1995...... I knew a lot of people in your class though.... I was friends actually with a lot of people in your class....... I'm not sure if I should post names though.... don't want to piss anyone off. I'll PM you though.

The beer gods giveth (10 dozen bottles and 2 dozen 22oz bomber).

And the beer gods taketh away. Spent an hour last night cleaning up 2 bottles of my home brew that miraculously decided to bottle bomb after sitting for almost 2 weeks with no ill effects, and sat in a warmer part of the house than where I moved them to.

Biked to the LHBS and got a mother hydrometer, a wine thief, starsan, an ounce of Citra, an ounce of Simcoe, and and two ounces of Cascade.

image-3702407765.jpg

Just threw the chopped habaneros into my dry-hopping Habanero Imperial IPA.

Kegged 5-gallons of Galaxy Pale Ale V4.0 and 5-gallons of African Amber. Harvested the yeast from both batches for future use. Finished my second STC-1000 controller and hooked it up to a standup freezer I picked up. The temperature appears to be holding steady, in anticipation of tomorrow's pilsner.

put my black sour mash berlinerweisse in a secondary with 2lbs of cherries and 1.25lbs of blackberries.... crazy tart, lets see what happens

Ordered 1lb of Columbus and .5lb of Citra to go with my supply of Simcoe and Amarillo. Working on a IIPA recipe to use a boat load of each of these hops in right now.

Foil taped my fermentation fridge, tucked up the wiring, and am waiting for the JB Weld to cure for the relocated light switch. Tomorrow I should be able to finish buttoning it up. Built a simple STC1000 box today, too.

went to the local dispensary and got 30 22oz bottles for 3 bucks... threw them in the dish washer/ oven to sanitize and before i bottle a once over with starsan... sweet!

Ordered a Milwaukee MW102 PH meter and some storage solution for the probe. My starter AG setup is almost complete...I only need a propane burner now.

Me and my buddy built these two stands tonight. I've been getting stuff ready all year (false bottoms,ball valves,keggles ect) and im finally starting to see the light!
image-3030963559.jpg

Kegged 5 gallons of Blizzard American Pale Ale named after our recently deceased japanese spitz. Dump 4 gallons of a wheat extract that had a really bad after taste. let it sit for 5 months and finally decided I needed the keg.

To all our military heroes from around the world who are serving or have served and gratitude for those that gave the ultimate sacrifice so we can have the weekend for some great food and great friends.

To honor the fallen today I made 20# of summer sausage to enjoy on Monday with the last 2 bottles of a LHMS Clone from October. As to the beer aspect SWMBO is now into brewing so we are brewing a Jamil Z. dunklewiezen at this time.

Kegged 5 gallons of a Red Chair NWPA clone and killed a keg of Yooper's House Pale Ale; cleaned a fermentor and now have to clean a keg; tenderly cared for my hop plants which are starting to put out many burrs - way early compared to last year. Sometimes I think hop plants are the bug world's All You Can Eat Buffet.

Built 5 etc-11000 controls for my friend who owns a lhbs....... I basically buy the blank control and wire them up. I personally prefer the Johnson A-419 but what's nice about the ranco etc-11000 is the auto cool- heat change over. Besides that the Johnson A-419 has it beat by a mile with its asd, better differential, and other features. Anyways I like doing electrical work and in exchange I get paid for the controls as well as deep discounts everyday at my lhbs so it's a win win situation.

Bottled my various Chili Pepper Smoked Porters (5 gallon batch split 5 ways). Was going to brew tomorrow, but I still need to clean up tonight, especially to get all that capsaicin off my gear (two of em had Bhuts in them), so I probably won't want to be up early enough tomorrow. I may put brewing off until Monday.

I was pulling together some sixers of my recently bottled homebrew as a gift for a friend and noticed that many of my Guinness bottles are getting cracks around the neck. I inspected them all and pulled out the bad ones and put them in a cooler in case they decide to blow. If the make it I think I'll retire these bottles and get some longnecks to replace them. I got a new batch of caps that are really stiff in my wing capper and I think I may have been pushing down too much on these guys.

I worked out for 2 hours, so the beer I drank tonight just replaced most of the calories that I burned. I also worked out a recipe on Beersmith for a blonde ale, for my TM team.

Bottled my Coffee Bender clone. Hoping I didn't overdo it on the coffee, but all I can do now is RDWHAHB.

Also sampled my oaked barleywine. It's had two weeks on rum-soaked oak cubes so far. Going to leave it for another 1-2 weeks, especially since I kept some unoaked to blend it with at bottling.

Bottled and pasteurized 7 bottles of red rice wine. I'm about to bottle my last batch of cider.

Finished bottling my honey pale ale! It. Was. Delicious!! Holy cow, I'm more excited about drinking this than any of my brews this year!!

Well carpentry work.... But, it's to make shelving in the garage to hold my mash tun, HLT, kettle / keggles, carboys, buckets etc..... This equipment thing has really grown over the last year or so and my swmbo is getting pissed at the clutter so hence brew shelving has been born.

Just got my latest ingredient order in the mail - only took 10 days which is pretty good from the States to here. So I'm planning my next brew session w/ some of the guys....maybe get a couple of them interested in the hobby.

Cheers

Checked the temp on my Berlin Wheat I pitched on Sunday. Went from 60.8 to 71.6. That WY3056 is a steady fermenter. Pegged the airlock centerpiece against the cap in only about 2.5 hours.

Ordered a replacement sight glass (don't leave a plastic tube out after cleaning, puppies will chew it up!) and a ball valve for my cooler/future mash tun as I prepare for all-grain.

Back