What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kegged a Cream Ale and Northern English Brown. Clubmate's kegs. I wish I had the funds for a kegerator. It's on the horizon though. So much faster and easier than bottling.

Then bottled my Tafelbier.

Then transferred my Smoked Porter from a bulk primary into 5 separate 1 gallon secondaries. Added peppers that have been soaking in vodka. First gets 3 jalapenos, second gets 3 serranos, third gets 1 habanero, fourth gets a 1/2 ghost chili, and the fifth gets a jalapeno, a serrano, a habanero, and the other half of a ghost chili.

Off to the LBHS. Picked up the ingredients for my Dark Chocolate Mint Coffee stout, and a pack of Notty for another batch of Drunken Emu. Then off to Safeway for the rest. Tomorrow's brewday!

Then transferred my Smoked Porter from a bulk primary into 5 separate 1 gallon secondaries. Added peppers that have been soaking in vodka. First gets 3 jalapenos, second gets 3 serranos, third gets 1 habanero, fourth gets a 1/2 ghost chili, and the fifth gets a jalapeno, a serrano, a habanero, and the other half of a ghost chili.

Wow. I've never even though of combining my two least favorite beers into a chili/smoke beer. Seems like you would have used chipotle or another smoked pepper while you were at it. I love smoked and spicy food, but can't get into either flavor in beer.

For beer today, I stalked ECY on facebook wtih no luck.

Picked up a stand-up freezer for free from my boss who is moving. I have a 2-tap kegerator in a 4.2 cubic foot fridge and a 5 cubic foot freezer for family food. One of my primary goals is to end up with a fermentation chamber - now the decision is how to play musical appliances to make it all work.

Inspected my hop plants for bugs and finding a few aphids, sprayed every leaf, top and bottom, on my 15+ foot long plants. I also measured out grains and hops for a double IPA I hope to brew tomorrow. Before the day is done I also expect to kill an IPA keg in the fridge and to begin carbonating a keg of Wry Smile Rye IPA. Luckily I have a second keg on tap and a bunch of bottled homebrew to drink while it carbonates.

Bottling my wee heavy. Sample tasted good! A few points high on the FG, but that's fine. 10% will be nice in the fall.

ForumRunner_20130519_193800.png

Brewday! Brewed my Dark Chocolate Mint Espresso Stout Experiment, and another batch of Drunken Emu for the SWMBO. Found out that you cannot fit more than 3 gallons into a 12 qt pot. Boilover and transfer to a bigger pot cost me a few points, but OG was still over 1.090. I figure that if I used the bigger pot in the first place, I would have had closer to 1.10. This is going to be a big Stout.

Bottled my oatmeal hefeweizen. Found that 28mm PET closures only work on some soda bottle tops. Got the adhesive residue off that last stubborn wine bottle. Moved my latest batch of cider to the bottling bucket and added a fining agent. That should be ready to bottle in 3-4 days. Cooked another 15 cups of dry jasmine rice for another batch of red rice wine. The rice is cooling now.

I will be harvesting the last batch of red rice wine and reusing the leftovers to start the new batch later today.

Drove an hour and half to get supplies. Thinking to myself. I'll sit, read me book, wait for fiancee to get done working. But got roped into working.

Emptied my keg of IPA (by drinking the rest) so that I could clean it and keg my Kölsh tomorrow.

I tried to do that once - turned out I was not that good at estimating how much was left. After about 2 litres I gave up... only to have the keg kick on the first pint the next day! :mad:

Made a 3 gal batch of a very hoppy beer based on Surly's Furious, but using Warrior, Amarillo, Ahtanum and Mosaic hops.

Not today but over the weekend brewed up 5.5 gals of my Steroid #8 and 5.5 gals of Janet's brown ale. Then bottled 2 cases of Spotted Dog brown ale and 2 cases of I'm a Hoppy IPA. Pipeline is fat n happy:rockin:

I inadvertently tried no-chill brewing for the first time. Hose blew out on my CFC and I couldn't fix it. Guess we'll see.

Well it's still early only 9 am here in NYC but, I have ordered 6 new tap handles for my keezer...... I have never used these but hear good things and they are cheap as hell so I picked up 48 beer saver caps..... I don't know why as I keg but, what the heck for $1.41 per 6 so for like $11.50 the recommended use for homebrewers is to use these in between cleaning and storage to bottling to keep stuff out of the bottles. They are also supposed to prevent oxidation in beer that has already been opened but you can't finish the beer ( yeah right ). I guess I'll try them out. I also and this was the highlight of my morning ordered my March 809HS-PL pump and Auber instruments syl4342 and SSR and heat sink / indicator lights and heater elements from Auber industries to build my RIMS system. I'm on my way.

Brewed 5.5 gallons of Yooper's Ruination clone and did lots of cleaning. This is my second batch of this beer - the first went pretty fast. Might need to start doing 10 gallons of this at a time.

Oh man, just trying to get this accuflex bev-seal ultra 3/16", over my 1/4" fittings... Holy cow. This a PITA.

Oh man, just trying to get this accuflex bev-seal ultra 3/16", over my 1/4" fittings... Holy cow. This a PITA.

Hot water is your friend. Just hold the end of the tubing in hot water for five or ten seconds and you should be good to go.

Cleaned the mash tun and boil kettle
Scrubbed brewroom floor
Designed a new layout for the CO2 system and priced out parts
Put together a hop order and sent it
Put together a grain order sending tomorrow

I have achieved...my pipeline!

It's filled with easy cider and Centennial Blonde, but it is all good, carbed, and ready! Brewing another batch of Centennial Blonde now and looking ahead to strange new recipes in the future.

Centennial Blonde 001.jpg

Cleaned more damn bottles... I thought I was done with this, then I started my pipeline. 6 5-gallon batches aging kills the stockpile of bottles. Sadly, I still have 2 batches to bottle in the next week. Can't wait for auto-pilot!

Dumped the last gal of my irish red. It never did clear out well, tasted funny, and had to beat people to drink it. So much for wpl004.
Cleaned the keg and filled with yoopers fizzy yellow beer. Taste pretty good as it was going in.

Not today, but last night I kegged up a heffeweizen on top of 2 quarts of pineapple juice. Going to let it sit at room temp for a day or two for the yeast to ferment some of the sugars, then cool and force-carb to enjoy this weekend!

CreamyGoodness said:
Aschecte did I already tell you I was born in Warwick and grew up in Wallkill?

No you did not but small world !!! I grew up in pine bush ( right outside of wallkill ) and moved in between Florida and Warwick about 5 years ago.... Nice area. So you were born in St. Anthony's which is where my wife and kids where also born. Again small world !!

CreamyGoodness said:
Aschecte did I already tell you I was born in Warwick and grew up in Wallkill?

Damn I just noticed you live in Astoria now ...... Ironic I'm in Astoria every other week. Me and my wife are Greek and we go shopping at Titan in Astoria.

Just scored 10 dozen 12 oz bottles and 2 dozen 22oz bottles. And unless I'm doing my math wrong I can bottle my next 3 batches of beer with those... (Thank you craigslist and awesome people giving stuff away for free)

Then I start to think, thats only 3 batches, I already have 2 of those planned, 1 of them for this weekend...:mad:

Then I think, that means I need to drink more beer.:ban:

Just scored 10 dozen 12 oz bottles and 2 dozen 22oz bottles. And unless I'm doing my math wrong I can bottle my next 3 batches of beer with those... (Thank you craigslist and awesome people giving stuff away for free)

Then I start to think, thats only 3 batches, I already have 2 of those planned, 1 of them for this weekend...:mad:

Then I think, that means I need to drink more beer.:ban:

Circle of life, my friend

Bottled 10 gallons. Empty fermenters look so sad. Guess I'll hafta make some more beer.

Speaking of propane bottles: The "bottles" that come from Blue Rhino with a triangle on the fill valve can NOT be filled by anyone except Blue Rhino. $20.00 for 3.5 g of propane? WTFIT? What can be done is the stores that have 24 hour self service propane doesn't care whose bottle you use for a core, because Blue Rhino, Amerigas, and the like trade bottles back and forth all the time. Any the generic tanks can still of course be filled for a major discount at your local RV park. Propane is $3.15 G at my local RV park. I hope this helps somebody...

EDIT: This response was regarding a post about picking up propane for brew day. 4 or 5 pages back

Back