What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took a gravity reading from my cream ale. Down to 1.004 from 1.036. It's still green, so I'm gonna give it another week in primary before moving to the keg. Oh, and it dropped very clear in the primary. Looking forward to drinking this one!

Grain inventory
Beer inventory
Update brewplan
Order grain
Order CO2
Pull hair out in massive clumps due to frustration

Installed a blow-off tube early early this morning on yesterdays Golden Monkey clone. I'm really glad I did as this is what I woke up to this morning. Blow-off tube is completely full of krausen and big bubbles are constant and filled with krausen. Gotta love it! :mug:

IMG_0043_zpsa82d5b2c.jpg

Packed up some brews and dropped them off at FedEx. 10 for NHC first round and 5 for a cobalt blue bottle of nastiness.

Well not exactly today completely but within 24 hours...... I built a keezer collar and filled with wood filler any gaps also started the staining process FYI the Minwax polyshade Bombay mahogany gloss looks awesome with a black freezer I have another thread that shows it. I also built burners and shields than mounted and used a nut setter to put female rivets into my Brutus stand and then mounted all three burners in the stand which came out awesome.... Next took all measurements and am trying to come up with the best gas manifold solution I can come up with which I think I have all worked out so off to Lowes I go to get all the pipe and ball valves etc.... busy 24 hours.

Missed the fe-ex guy pickin up my repaired glasses so I could put away the polarized ones tryin to read on here. My Super Agata bench capper came in a lil while ago to replace the wrong one midwest sent me. Brad was really helpfull & quick. Got the old one boxed up,but fed-ex site can't find my acct# to get it picked up. Now I gotta go over to this side of Westlake to drop it off & ask WTF??
But at least I got the right capper now that cost me $6 more than the regular bench capper. Now I can drop off the return one in the morning & head over to the lhbs for some US-05 to brew my NZ IPA. Gotta bottle my Hopped & Confusedv2 tomorrow if the FG is finally down to range. And wash the yeast if I can find something to fridge it in. That one'll make 2 batches in bottles & another one in primary!...:ban::mug::ban:

Watched this weekend's batches happily bubbling away, and last night's just getting started.

And let my phone components sit in a bag of rice after making its way into last night's boiling wort...

Cereal Mash!
2 lbs wheat malt 2 lbs crushed white basmati rice, trying to develop a nice easy sipping summer beer, probably going to use a saison strain or kolsch yeast.

image-1523241412.jpg

Cleaned a keg, so I can put my cream ale in it. Also getting my BK, mash tun, and HLT cleaned to brew an oatmeal stout later. I'll also be placing an order for some more brewing stuff today...

put my hops in mason jars and just used masking ta[e for labels. i actually still have three more 1lbs bags i havent opened yet of different hop varieties.
i love hops. is there such a thing as a hop based cologne???
261231_10151530086754241_1893309361_n.jpg

ooooh, also i got a beautifull ss 1/2 bbl keg over the weekend and i'm picking up another tomorrow. going to order my bungs, ss ball valves, screens, etc and have a friend cut and weld them into boil kettles/mash tuns.
should i bother trying to insulate the one i plan on using as a mash tun?
so far on my 5 gal setup it stays at agiven temp for a remarkably long time. for a 60 min mash i typically reignite the burner twice for a couple min each toi maintain temp. works suprisingly well for me.
anybody?

Sandlot Brewing, Pool honey ale......Perfect label.. well done.

But every time we walked by after that, the lifeguard looked down from her tower, right over at Squints, and smiled.

Worked more on the keezer build.... So far so good.... I'm trying like he to find foam board .... These home centers are now only carrying this paper thin foil backed stuff now. I'm looking for like 1/2" pink or blue foam board any suggestions ? Btw already tried Home Depot and lowes.

Ordered an immersion chiller and ingredients for 4 more AG batches (El Dorado IPA, Roggenbier, mild, and a cascade blonde). It's gonna be a busy couple of weeks...

Bottled 10 gallons: 2 gluten free half batches for SWMBO (a blonde and a honey ale) and a dry Irish Stout for me. I had to "empty" a few bottles of my last batch to have enough bottles tonight. Tough job!

Checked on my yeast starter, gave 'er a swirl before leaving for work. First attempt at re-using yeast from previous batch (wyeast 1028). "i see krausen"...must be a success..."yay me": Jake Keeler

Just finished re-purposing a deli rerigerator for lagering. Got two units from work where they had pulled from a deli. Replaced gasket and temp controller on one and is currently running along at 38*. Just in time for my Budvar Clone. :ban:
Working on the second which appears to be running but void of refrigerant. Will be brazing in connections for gauges and pressure testing the circuit for leaks.

Organised my brewery for the next brew...NCbeernut's deception cream stout.
Also have 3 people wanting to take up the addict...err. Hobbie and are coming over to help brew this one.

Bottled a batch of Avery old jubilation ale... Will be ready in December when I get back!! Prob gonna go to the lbhs and get some DME... Make the first step starter of edinbrough for a wee heavy next weekend...

Washing out a couple jars for the WL029 yeast I'll be harvesting off my other batch that should finally be done fermenting today. And wash a few more empty bottles to put back into use if I get to bottle tomorrow. That'll be two batches in bottles,& one more going into the fermenter this coming days/week.

Looked at fermenting oatmeal stout. Happy yeast mean I may need a blowoff tube before long. Also getting ready to brew an AG Blonde ale and shop for a new fermenter or 2 (mine will all be full after today's brew day).
Edit: just finished brewing the blonde. I was amazed by the amount of hot break material that came out of it. It was like a freaky science experiment. On a good note, the beer is very clear going into the fermenter...

Bottled 5 gallons of hazelnut brown and prepped for bottling 5 gallons of IPA tomorrow. And by prepped, I mean emptied a few more bottles!

Got the SS braid, copper tubing and brass ball valve for my mash tun. Now I have to get it assembled and make sure it isn't leaking.

Back