What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had three brew buds over made 20gal of home brew AG. And 14gal of lemonade mead. In 4 hours now just drinking from the celler stach.

I've got a starter boiling right now. Getting some washed Wyeast 2565 Kolsch yeast going for my 2nd batch of Kolsch for this spring. Planning to brew on Saturday.

I haven't done anything today, nor do I expect to do, but I bottled last night. Both batches - a 5g Rogue Morimoto Soba Ale, and a 1g original recipe - smelled right, so in fourteen days, I'll taste. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Intentionally kicked the last 2 pints of my amber ale to make room in the kegerator for a Going Away IPA. Harvested the yeast from my galaxy pale ale and IPA batches for future use.

Brewed a double batch of Berliner Weisse that needs to be in the bottles and shipped to nationals in 9 days, if I wait until last day to ship. Split the batch between 05 and several brett strains. I pitched two packs about 6 hrs ago and the 05 is starting to hint at fermentation already, even with a ph around 3.3. I'm hoping the brett batch finishes quickly too and gives me some fruitier beer to blend into the 05. Supposed to do some on fruit, but I might be short on time for that. Not sure about the brett, but the 05 batch should ferment out in less than 48 hrs and then straight into bottles. Wort smelled like bread and lemons.

Intentionally kicked the last 2 pints of my amber ale to make room in the kegerator for a Going Away IPA. Harvested the yeast from my galaxy pale ale and IPA batches for future use.

Have you had the chance to try Galaxy White IPA from Anchorage? It's brett finished, so that might not be your thing, but it's crazy good and made in Alaska.

Giving a first taste of my kolsch - not bad but needs to sit a bit longer.

image-3433111989.jpg

About to bottle my MO/Citra SMaSH and it smells freaking awesome!

image-1325850022.jpg

Racked my IPA to secondary for dryhopping and brewed 2.5 gallons of a honey ale with some leftovers.

I just kegged my Ruination IPA clone. I dialed the pressure up to 20psi, put it into my cooler, and I'll wait. It tastes great warm and flat, so I'm really excited about how it will come out cold and fizzy. I'll give it a try after a few days, and see how it's coming along.

I only just finished the lager that was in that same keg two days ago. I think I've got the pipeline going just right.

And a word of advice, use pellet hops for dry hopping. Cleaning up the leaf hops was a royal PITA.

I have indeed! The Anchorage Brewing beers were the first sours that I ever tried. So far I've been impressed with all of them. And I'm collecting the bottle to cage and cork in the near future! Have you tried any of their other beers besides their Galaxy White IPA?

TNGabe said:
Have you had the chance to try Galaxy White IPA from Anchorage? It's brett finished, so that might not be your thing, but it's crazy good and made in Alaska.

I have indeed! The Anchorage Brewing beers were the first sours that I ever tried. So far I've been impressed with all of them. And I'm collecting the bottle to cage and cork in the near future! Have you tried any of their other beers besides their Galaxy White IPA?

I've had Love Buzz. I'd like to try the rest, but the distribution around here is not good.

Love Buzz was what I was initially looking for since I was in the process of brewing a Saison last fall. I've had a chance to try them all and have been pleased. As a matter of fact your comment prompted me to dig to the depths of my kegerator and I pulled out a Rondy Brew to enjoy this evening......

TNGabe said:
I've had Love Buzz. I'd like to try the rest, but the distribution around here is not good.

Made an executive decision today that I will be brewing on Sunday so I stopped at the LHBS to pick up the grains for my first original recipe, a Simcoe/Amarillo IPA that I am pretty anxious to brew.

Just received my order from Midwest today. I'm thinking it's gonna be a double brew day.

kscarrington said:
Love Buzz was what I was initially looking for since I was in the process of brewing a Saison last fall. I've had a chance to try them all and have been pleased. As a matter of fact your comment prompted me to dig to the depths of my kegerator and I pulled out a Rondy Brew to enjoy this evening......

There is a collab saison with hill farmstead i'm eager to find. One hell of a beer fest he's puting on in anchorage in April, too.

Just checked 2nd FG on both the light & dark beers. Dark one is cleared & ready to bottle. so I'll bottle that one & wash the yeast in a big jar. I'll have to fridge it till I get lids/rings for the pint jars though. Light colored one needs to drop a couple points yet. Not to mention clear a bit more.

I went to the lhbs and bought another fermenter bucket and some corn sugar. I have a feeling I'll be brewing a lot this spring and summer.

Also bought choklat for later tonight. I love that beer, and haven't had it yet this year.

Picked up two beautiful ball lock kegs for 50 bucks with all new seals and 4 packs of sanitizer :)

Bought an 'S' airlock, 5' of tubing and a bung (wrong size!) for my carboy, as well as a case of Goose Island & Blue Moon variety packs... GI has Honkers Ale/Summertime/IPA and BMW has Belgian style Pale Ale/ Belgian White/ Sunshine Citrus Blonde and Valencia Grove Amber.

I hit my LHBS and picked up an auto-siphon, a packet of Nottingham (just in case) and a packet of Montrachet yeast for a 6 gallon batch of apfelwein. I'm sanitizing a case of bottles now, plan to bottle 2.5 gallons of ale tomorrow for St. Patty's day.

My buddy and I brewed up a 5 gallon batch of Janet's brown ale and another 5 gallon batch of Belgian Saison today. We bottled my own recipe called Steroid #8 APA.

I too need to get a fridge for the man cave. My wife started complaining this morning about all my grains,beers,yeast,extracts,etc taking up fridge room. The beef is that the only shelf left open has her insulin & other diabetic stuff on it. Have to search local CL I guess.
But atm,I'm nuking 2C of water for the priming solution for my dark pseudo lager that cleared up & stayed at a stable 1.012 yesterday. Gunna start bottling in a bit. I got 6 gallons & lucky to have 68 o2 barrier caps left...

Bottling my imperial stout. I was going to bulk age it longer, but it seems good now. It's been aging on vanilla beans and bourbon for about 2 months. I think this could have gone a lot longer and the vanilla wouldn't come out any more than it has it's just enough with the bourbon that makes it nice. I'll be bringing most of them to my parents to put in the basement where it'll be a constant temperature and not warm during the summer like my apartment will get. These will be very nice I have a feeling this winter.

It also dropped a couple points in gravity since I last checked it in January when I transferred it.

Packed my up NHC entries to send off to UPS first thing in the AM. Made some recipe tweaks and a shopping list for the LHBS so I can brew this week/weekend (midweek extract beer, double header all-grain over the weekend) for the first time since the end of December.

Qhrumphf said:
Packed my up NHC entries to send off to UPS first thing in the AM. Made some recipe tweaks and a shopping list for the LHBS so I can brew this week/weekend (midweek extract beer, double header all-grain over the weekend) for the first time since the end of December.

What and where are you entering?

What and where are you entering?

Entering in Zanesville. Dubbel, Mild, Hefe, APA, American IPA, Specialty, Wood Aged, Kolsch, Cal Common, Strong Scotch Ale, Robust Porter.

I'd wanted to send my Imperial Red as American Barleywine, but it's still not quite fully carbonated (at just over 12% it's taking its damn time), so I had to sub my Dubbel at the last minute, which I'm not as happy with (not close enough to style for it to do all that well), but the rest I'm really happy with.

Qhrumphf said:
Entering in Zanesville. Dubbel, Mild, Hefe, APA, American IPA, Specialty, Wood Aged, Kolsch, Cal Common, Strong Scotch Ale, Robust Porter.

I'd wanted to send my Imperial Red as American Barleywine, but it's still not quite fully carbonated (at just over 12% it's taking its damn time), so I had to sub my Dubbel at the last minute, which I'm not as happy with (not close enough to style for it to do all that well), but the rest I'm really happy with.

Dang, 11 entries? I thought I was going nuts with 5. Ever been to Zanesville? Most famous for its prison, odd choice for judging.....

Dang, 11 entries? I thought I was going nuts with 5. Ever been to Zanesville? Most famous for its prison, odd choice for judging.....

Makes you wonder how many Pruno entries will be in Cat. 23. Or would that be Fruit Beer? :cross:

Never been, but there's a few places like that around here. And yeah, I kinda went all out this year.

Brewed up my first original recipe today, a Simcoe/Amarillo IPA. If my pre-pitch hydro sample is any indication of what to expect, I have hit the nail on the head with this one.

Back