What have I brewed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamshershner

Reaction score
My 8th batch, extract brew. Not really sure what style this would be considered?

5.3gal
6.0 lbs dark LME
6.0 lbs Munich LME
0.5 lbs British chocolate (Simpson's)
0.25 lbs Coffee malt (Simpson's)
0.25 lbs Extra Special malt
1.0 lbs oatmeal
1.0 lb dark brown sugar
1 OZ Magnum for 60 minute boil
1 OZ Hallertau Mittelfruh for 2 minutes

Grains and oatmeal steeped for 30 minutes @ ~155 F

Lallemand Nottingham yeast pitched into 0.75L 1.30 OG dark LME solution 36hr in advance

1.091 SG @ 60F
~1.022 FG @ 60F anticipated

Sitting on day 3 in the primary, airlock is still very active. Planning to add 2 OZ cold brew coffee and .25oz vanilla extract in secondary. Just looking for some clarification about what style I have come close to. Thanks in advance!

Sounds a bit like a baltic porter to me, but maybe on the sweet side for that depending on how long you let the aroma hops stand before cooling. If you add coffee it will be more like a coffee porter and the vanilla will make it more stout-y.

Well she finished out at 1.029 FG, not quite what I had hoped but still 8.1 % ABV. Very dark, opaque color, very strong sweet vanilla scent and coffee flavor. I am thinking next big beer I try I will use an airstone and pump to oxygenate my wort, I just poured back and forth a few times right after adding the yeast, which I don't believe was sufficient for this big a drop in gravity. I can't wait to try it after bottle carbing...

If it was me, Id take a case of that and put it in a dark corner in my basement and forget about it. It will be a nice Christmas present to yourself.

the_trout said:
If it was me, Id take a case of that and put it in a dark corner in my basement and forget about it. It will be a nice Christmas present to yourself.

+1. I made a bourbon barrel aged breakfast stout with coffee and maple syrup (I came up with the recipe with it on my own, and thought I was a genius but was QUITE upset when a buddy found 2 bottles of KBS, and it tasted better than mine :(

But we left 6 in my closet and forgot about them for 4 months. The first few bottles were WAY too much coffee. The aged bottles tasted like liquid candy. Would have been unreal boiled down and poured on pancakes (but it was definitely for drinkin)

Back