What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kid and I made baked Swai (fish) last night while the other were away at a concert. Sprinkled some Belgian White seasoning on top and put them in the oven. Tossed some sweet peas in a pan with some olive oil and then sprinkled with parmesan cheese. Simple lettuce salad on the side.

I actually took a picture, but I left my phone adapter at home this morning!

Potato soup last night. Just sauteed onion and shaved carrots in butter and olive oil, then stir in some flour to start a roux, then some chicken stock and diced potatoes and diced ham steak from the half a hog we bought this year. After a bit add heavy cream and salt and pepper to taste.

I added some shredded Mexican cheese to give it a little more interesting flavor and it kicked up the spice just a bit. Ended up being "ok". Potato soup is one soup that I jsut can't seem to make to my satisfaction.

Made Larb Gai tonight. Fantastic Thai food and so easy it's a great intro to Thai food.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1478731046.367574.jpg
Start by dry toasting some sticky rice in your wok.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1478731099.477561.jpg
Garlic, shallots and a mushroom chopped fine.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1478731153.184103.jpg
Ground turkey. I prefer pork but we had friends over so I went lowest common denominator.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1478731227.544494.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1478731243.613111.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1478731262.598233.jpg
Some fish sauce, red pepper flakes, sugar, the juice from three limes and some sprouts. I don't think sprouts are authentic but I had a bunch of them and no recipe in sight to use them so in they went. I added the toasted rice at the end for a nice crunch addition.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1478731429.082275.jpg
A bit of Thai basil on top, served on a leaf of Boston Bibb lettuce as a wrap.

Mmmmmmmmm

Grilled pork tenderloin with mustard BBQ sauce, Brussels sprouts, and parmesan crisps.

IMG_20161110_192323.jpg

Made Larb Gai tonight. Fantastic Thai food and so easy it's a great intro to Thai food.
View attachment 376589
Start by dry toasting some sticky rice in your wok.
View attachment 376590
Garlic, shallots and a mushroom chopped fine.
View attachment 376591
Ground turkey. I prefer pork but we had friends over so I went lowest common denominator.
View attachment 376592
View attachment 376593
View attachment 376594
Some fish sauce, red pepper flakes, sugar, the juice from three limes and some sprouts. I don't think sprouts are authentic but I had a bunch of them and no recipe in sight to use them so in they went. I added the toasted rice at the end for a nice crunch addition.
View attachment 376596
A bit of Thai basil on top, served on a leaf of Boston Bibb lettuce as a wrap.

Mmmmmmmmm

Damn Paul! It's about time you posted back here! And what a great post to boot! Nice to see so thanks.

Damn Paul! It's about time you posted back here! And what a great post to boot! Nice to see so thanks.

Thanks. I'm finishing up my Masters on the way to becoming a Nurse Practitioner and have so little time for extracurricular stuff. But I had a relatively easy week and got a little carried away. Hope you try it, its so easy and a great meal.
P

I believe vietnam (from memory).

I think that's right. I have heard that basa is the same, and it's called pan-something. I heard it's a kind of catfish, but the American fish people don't want it sold as that.

I think that's right. I have heard that basa is the same, and it's called pan-something. I heard it's a kind of catfish, but the American fish people don't want it sold as that.

I've only used it for smoked fish. But I don't think it was too gamey, so it could probably be used for any dish.

It is available frozen, cheap. It's a thin filet (where I get it).

Here is a blurb from the Interwebs:

"One economical option popping up at many stores is swai, which is native to Southeast Asia—Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia—and sells locally for around $3.99 a pound. Since I knew nothing about swai, I asked Gavin Gibbons, a spokesman for the National Fisheries Institute, for a primer.

Gibbons explained that swai, along with basa and tra, two related varieties also appearing at more and more stores, belong to what’s called the Pangasius family and they’re similar in character to catfish. In fact, the Monterey Bay Aquarium in California, which has an authoritative site that tells you everything you ever wanted to know about the fish that end up on our dinner plates, describes swai as a river-farmed catfish, sometimes simply referred to in the U.S. only as catfish (be sure to look for country of origin labeling at the fish counter to determine whether your catfish is from the Mekong Delta or the Mississippi Delta).

Swai is a white-flesh fish (typically available in fillet form) with a sweet mild, taste and light flaky texture that can be broiled, grilled, or coating with bread crumbs and fried, according to experts. It can be prepared simply, but also takes well to sauces. A 3.5-ounce serving of plain fish contains around 90 calories, 4 grams of fat (1.5 saturated), 45 grams of cholesterol and 50 milligrams of sodium. Not bad."

Personally, I don't eat fish (or other food products) from those countries. I do not trust their farming methods. That's just me, enjoy it if you buy it!

Was reminiscing with friends from the Air Force the other day about being stationed in South Korea. So I made bulgogi in lettuce wraps with some kimche and a side of steamed mandu (Korean dumplings). Washed it down with some soju.

I made extra bulgogi to have for lunch today - but my wife and kids ate it all last night.

View attachment 376924View attachment 376925

Bool Mandu if I remember correctly. As opposed to the fried dumpling version Yaki Mandu. My personal favorite! Loved Korean food, so long as you stay away from things presented as "delicacies"! Lol. Made 40-50 trips there as a defense contractor. Some awesome food there!

Here is a blurb from the Interwebs:

"One economical option popping up at many stores is swai, which is native to Southeast Asia—Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia—and sells locally for around $3.99 a pound. Since I knew nothing about swai, I asked Gavin Gibbons, a spokesman for the National Fisheries Institute, for a primer.

Gibbons explained that swai, along with basa and tra, two related varieties also appearing at more and more stores, belong to what’s called the Pangasius family and they’re similar in character to catfish. In fact, the Monterey Bay Aquarium in California, which has an authoritative site that tells you everything you ever wanted to know about the fish that end up on our dinner plates, describes swai as a river-farmed catfish, sometimes simply referred to in the U.S. only as catfish (be sure to look for country of origin labeling at the fish counter to determine whether your catfish is from the Mekong Delta or the Mississippi Delta).

Swai is a white-flesh fish (typically available in fillet form) with a sweet mild, taste and light flaky texture that can be broiled, grilled, or coating with bread crumbs and fried, according to experts. It can be prepared simply, but also takes well to sauces. A 3.5-ounce serving of plain fish contains around 90 calories, 4 grams of fat (1.5 saturated), 45 grams of cholesterol and 50 milligrams of sodium. Not bad."

Personally, I don't eat fish (or other food products) from those countries. I do not trust their farming methods. That's just me, enjoy it if you buy it!

I am with you. Nobody knows what the hell is in their rivers from up stream. Fish are sponges for heavy metals, pesticides, etc, in my unstudied opinion. Until I study more or see research that says it is safe I do not buy any fish from those regions. Just me, but no.

Homebrewed English mild beer battered fish tacos, mango pico de gallo, pickled onions, and avacado crema.

We always make fish tacos with grilled fish, but I love getting them at places that batter fry them!

Homemade gyoza!

Both my wife and I like CRAZY amount of garlic & ginger in our gyoza - I am talking a head of garlic and a half a root of ginger in a couple of dozen of dumplings. It comes out really juicy compared to what you get in a Japanese restaurant.

Beer & gyoza is indeed a match made in heaven :mug:

Gyoza filling.jpg

Gyoza.jpg

Homemade gyoza!

Both my wife and I like CRAZY amount of garlic & ginger in our gyoza - I am talking a head of garlic and a half a root of ginger in a couple of dozen of dumplings. It comes out really juicy compared to what you get in a Japanese restaurant.

Man that looks good. REALLY good. My wife probably wouldn't touch them because of the amt of garlic, but I'd touch them in way they've never been touched before :)

Homemade gyoza!

I'd like this recipe.

I just had to share my lunch for today. I grilled up a few burgers to medium rare. Then grilled pineapple slices in some soy sauce (didn't have teriyaki) and put them on the burger with some jalapenos, cheese and lettuce. If you haven't tried this, I highly recommend it. It's so delicious!

I just had to share my lunch for today. I grilled up a few burgers to medium rare. Then grilled pineapple slices in some soy sauce (didn't have teriyaki) and put them on the burger with some jalapenos, cheese and lettuce. If you haven't tried this, I highly recommend it. It's so delicious!

All you're missing is the fried eggs :)

I'd like this recipe.

Sure - ours is very similar to this: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...-pork-and-cabbage-dumplings-gyoza-recipe.html

Some personal preferences/tips:

- It's really important to wring out as much of excess liquid out of the Napa cabbage as possible. Otherwise, it'll turn the dumplings quite mushy.

- Dough-wise, we don't do our own. The trick is to get a really fresh store-bought one (it is commonly available in Asian stores in the US). Older dough doesn't seal well.

- We don't freeze the dumplings, as we feel it affects the texture. YMMV.

For our taste:
- Not "1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger" => more like 4 TABLEspoons
- Garlic - we use three table spoons' worth, instead of one.

The toughest part in my view is figuring out when to stop pan-frying, add a splash of water and close the lid for the final steaming. If you have a transparent lid, that would help a lot, as you can monitor the dumplings without letting the steam out.

:mug:

Stuffed quahogs, or stuffies. A New England tradition.

I was SUPPOSED to be studying for a pediatric cardiology test all day. Instead, after about five hours I took off, got a dozen clams and got to work. Steam your clams along with an 6-8 inch piece of chiorico, then rough chop the clams and chiorico, then mix with a lot of butter sautéed garlic(lots), peppers, onions, celery, green olives and capers. I use a small box of stuffing mix and add the clam juice to get it to the right moisture level. It wants to just hold together when you squeeze it in your hand with no liquid oozing out. Then stuff onto your shells and bake hot for 20-30 minutes. Butter and hot sauce on top.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1479345219.460223.jpg

I was SUPPOSED to be studying for a pediatric cardiology test all day. Instead, after about five hours I took off, got a dozen clams and got to work. Steam your clams along with an 6-8 inch piece of chiorico, then rough chop the clams and chiorico, then mix with a lot of butter sautéed garlic(lots), peppers, onions, celery, green olives and capers. I use a small box of stuffing mix and add the clam juice to get it to the right moisture level. It wants to just hold together when you squeeze it in your hand with no liquid oozing out. Then stuff onto your shells and bake hot for 20-30 minutes. Butter and hot sauce on top.
View attachment 377277

Awesome! And love the chipotle Cholula :)

View attachment 377277

Looks great! I love stuffies! Especially with beer.

Back