What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm working on getting a late Oktoberfest party together-- roasted a porkloin, made German potato salad, will simmer the brats tomorrow... So just had spaghetti with my canned sauce for something easy. People will be seeing pink elephants! ( maybe they'll look better after a few brews.

image.jpeg

I'm working on getting a late Oktoberfest party together-- roasted a porkloin, made German potato salad, will simmer the brats tomorrow... So just had spaghetti with my canned sauce for something easy. People will be seeing pink elephants! ( maybe they'll look better after a few brews.

Pink elephant cookies is what it takes to get on my favorite people list. Bravo!

EDIT - Hmmmm, the post that was here was supposed to be on the stogie thread so I deleted it since it was redundant with post below. I was wondering what happened to it! :smack:

Went Italian tonight.

Meatloaf with fresh basil and oregano from the garden and other Italian spices. Also mixed in a splash of IPA and balsamic vinegar.

Salad is mixed greens, fresh bell pepper, homemade croutons and a homemade basil balsamic vinaigrette.

Turned out great!

View attachment 1477453413885.jpg

Went Italian tonight.

Meatloaf with fresh basil and oregano from the garden and other Italian spices. Also mixed in a splash of IPA and balsamic vinegar.

Salad is mixed greens, fresh bell pepper, homemade croutons and a homemade basil balsamic vinaigrette.

Turned out great!

That really looks great!

Everybody else in the pool now. Precooked Conekuh sausage to render some of the grease out, precooked okra to get rid of some of the slime, and pre cooked chicken breasts to get rid of some of the fat.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1477455597.634948.jpg
Best to let them all make friends for a bit. Then herbs and chicken stock and diced tomatoes.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1477455748.739851.jpg
And finally chicken stock to start a 4 hour simmer.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1477455830.600152.jpg

This is a special pot of gumbeaux for me. It's in honor of my dad who passed last Tuesday night at 90 years old, who was born in New Orleans, and loved my Cajun cooking. He will be greatly missed and this will be dinner for close family after the services Thursday. He would have approved!

I probably should add that the shrimp and crab will go in, but not till after it's reheated Thursday and about 15 minutes before I serve it.

Everybody else in the pool now. Precooked Conekuh sausage to render some of the grease out, precooked okra to get rid of some of the slime, and pre cooked chicken breasts to get rid of some of the fat.

*snip*

This is a special pot of gumbeaux for me. It's in honor of my dad who passed last Tuesday night at 90 years old, who was born in New Orleans, and loved my Cajun cooking. He will be greatly missed and this will be dinner for close family after the services Thursday. He would have approved!

Looks great! Too much prep for me on a weeknight haha

My condolences to you and your family. Lost my dad suddenly (@57) last year. Sounds like your dad had a full life but it's never easy. Raising a glass in his honor. Godspeed.

:mug:

Travis, so sorry to learn about your Dad's passing! Mine just turned 91 on the 8th of this month. Even knowing they had a long full life cannot make it easier when they pass on. My sincere condolences to you and yours.

View attachment 374902
Best to let them all make friends for a bit. Then herbs and chicken stock and diced tomatoes.
View attachment 374903
And finally chicken stock to start a 4 hour simmer.
View attachment 374904

Good thoughts for you, sorry for your loss, I'm sure he was proud of you.

White Bean Cassoulet with Smoked Ham and Sausage

This is extremely hearty, nutritious, and filling. Double the recipe for a family of 4-5.

1 lb. package, dried, Great Northern White Beans
4 links Sweet Italian Sausage

For the Garniture:
Olive Oil
1 Vidalia Onion, peeled, diced into 1 cm cubes, ends retained for stock
2 large Carrots, peeled, diced into 1 cm cubes
Few sprigs of fresh Thyme, picked and finely minced
2 cloves Garlic, peeled, finely minced
1 large Red Bell Pepper, seeded, diced into 1 cm cubes, ends retained for stock
1/2 cup Smoked Ham, diced into 1 cm cubes
Pre-cooked, pre-diced sausage links
Kosher salt
Fresh black pepper
Cayenne, use sparingly
Smoked paprika
Knob of butter

For the Stock:
Water
1 quart Pork Stock (homemade) or vegetable stock *see notes*
2 large Carrots, peeled, halved once into large sticks
1 Onion, peeled and halved
2 large Bay Leaves
Any retained ends of Onion and Bell Pepper

1. Soak dried white beans overnight in slightly more than double their volume in water. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400F, coat the sausage with a bit of oil and place on a sheet tray lined with foil. Cook until golden brown, turning twice, approx. 20 minutes. Let cool, dice into 1/2 inch pieces, and reserve for the next day.

2. The next day, drain and rinse the bean water. Add new cold water in a pot with the beans to cover them by 2 inches. Bring to boil, drain, rinse beans, and refill the pot with enough water to barely cover the beans this time.

-The first boil will remove much of the gases held within the beans that cause flatulence-

3. Top off with pork stock (or vegetable stock) so that there is approx. 2-3 inches of total liquid covering the beans. Add any vegetable scraps you have such as onion ends, bell pepper ends, large chunks of carrot, and the bay leaves. Bring to a simmer and keep there until tender enough to consume the beans without using your teeth, but not super mushy (approx. 2 hours uncovered).

-You're essentially reinforcing the cooking liquid with vegetable flavor, which will concentrate the taste of the final product.-

4. Meanwhile, preheat a large saute pan. When hot, add a bit of olive oil and wait until hot. Proceed to add the onion, carrot and thyme, stirring constantly over medium heat so that they become tender and soft without acheiving any color or browning. This is called sweating.

5. Season to taste with salt, pepper, cayenne, and smoked paprika. After 5 minutes, add the garlic and bell pepper. Continue to sweat the vegetables. After 3 minutes, add the diced smoked ham and sausage.

6. Correct seasoning once again, turn off heat, and stir in a knob of butter.

7. When the beans are done, discard the large pieces of carrot, onion, bay leaves, etc. from the stock/cooking liquid. Drain some of the cooking liquid so that the beans look sort of like a stew, sitting in approx. 1.5 to 2 inches of stock. Add the garniture to the beans and stir. Correct seasoning for a final time.

-I made pork shoulder for pulled pork earlier in the week. That is where I got the pork stock. You can use vegetable stock instead, or experiment with some combination of water, stock, and a bock beer or dark lager.-

Searched this thread for a cassoulet recipe and got this which sounds quite good! I'd like one that has duck confit in it too, as I have two confit'd duck legs (thanks to good old Trader Joe's) - yes, I could just add them, but wondering if anyone has a tried 'n true cassoulet recipe with the confit and the traditional breadcrumb topping?

Anyone have a good Beer Brat Chili recipe? I was at a beer fest in NY over the week-end and a soup place was selling it. It was bangin'! I plan to give it a shot this week-end.

Made some bacon today, and pulled pork over the weekend. I'll add the pic, it's on my phone.. Bacon went into the smoker a little hot @ 225. Cooled down then held for 6 hrs at 160 with peach wood, finished in the oven so I could watch Deadpool again..

Pork was for our baby shower., used rhulman's dry cure for the bacon. Just did it all plain because that's the favorite around the house. Pork I brined for 24 hours, started in the oven then cooked for about 10n hours in the smoker before wrapping and steaming

1477631678651-1584562069.jpg

1022161026.jpg

Travis, that looks excellent, right down to the special bowls!

Lol. I picked those bowls up in Gulfport Mississippi when we were down there visiting my wife's family. Her mom was the one that originally taught be how to make it. I bought 8 of the bowl and just could not pass them up :) And the recipe and instructions on the rim of the bowls is not far off from how I actually make it!

Chicken roll-ups. Pounded flat and then rolled up with prociouto, basil, and mozzarella. Side of polenta. Turned out great, and save fore the cheese... Pretty healthy

Minus points for mediocre plating :D

Wow, I looked at this plate scrolling through and it looked like your food was sitting on a white box and the side of polenta was about to fall off the edge. Then after staring at what I thought was the weirdest plate ever I realized it was an illusion. :rockin::tank:

Wow, I looked at this plate scrolling through and it looked like your food was sitting on a white box and the side of polenta was about to fall off the edge. Then after staring at what I thought was the weirdest plate ever I realized it was an illusion. :rockin::tank:

Ha! Me thinks you've got a good start on the weekend drinking :ban::tank:

Risotto, grilled carrots and asparagus and, if I may say so myself, some perfectly done yellowfin. I used Alton Brown's trick of putting the grill grate right on top of the blazing charcoal chimney. I gave it 60 seconds each side. Boom, done.

(Normally, I plate better than this but I was in a rush to slice and serve the tuna.)

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1477705639.604011.jpg

Risotto, grilled carrots and asparagus and, if I may say so myself, some perfectly done yellowfin. I used Alton Brown's trick of putting the grill grate right on top of the blazing charcoal chimney. I gave it 60 seconds each side. Boom, done.

(Normally, I plate better than this but I was in a rush to slice and serve the tuna.)

View attachment 375234

:mug:

View attachment 375234

There's good looking sears on yellowfin and there's great looking sears. That's a great looking sear. Looks delish!

View attachment 375234

Good trick that prob uses less charcoal, too.

Made the cassoulet from a recipe I found on Allrecipes - because it was closest to the ingredients I had on hand! Peppered bacon, sausage my cousin made from wild boar and venison with high-temp cheese and jalapenos, and duck legs confit from Trader Joe's. Man it turned out awesome! KOTC is already asking me if I'll make it again and we still have a fair vat of it left! No pics, forgot, sorry.

Back