What brew do you have plans for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seatazzz

Well-Known Bloviator & Pontificator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So we have the What Are you Drinking Now thread, the Who's brewing this weekend thread, and the What I Did for Beer Today thread...how about one for future brews that are still in your head in the planning stages? Our favorite neighbor absolutely loves Mac & Jacks...so I looked at a clone recipe for it and find I have most of what I need. Then I thought....most people know the story of how Georgetown Manny's came to be. The clone recipe I found is VERY similar to the Mac & Jack clone recipe, hops are a bit different. So my next plan is to do a 10 gallon batch of the base amber, then split it into two kettles and hop them differently, then see if I can tell the difference.

What do you have in your mind for your next brew?

A lot...Oatmeal Porter, Hefeweizen with double decoction, IIPA with Conan yeast, IPA fermented with Kolsch yeast, Vienna lager, Imperial Red IPA, Weizenbock, Black IPA and a Belgian Dark Strong ale ( Pannepot ).

I'm hoping to get a Red Rocket (west coast blaster perhaps) type clone out next. I'm waiting on a new heating element for my kettle, and trying to set up a new mash tun so I'm in limbo for the time being...

I'm working on a pumpernickel stout. I use MO as the base, a lot of rye, throw some caraway seeds into the boil, and mash with some pumpernickel toast. I made a few 1 gallon experimental batches and was surprised at how creamy it turned out so I'm making a full 5G batch this week or next (as soon as my ferm chamber is empty!)

I'm working on a pumpernickel stout. I use MO as the base, a lot of rye, throw some caraway seeds into the boil, and mash with some pumpernickel toast. I made a few 1 gallon experimental batches and was surprised at how creamy it turned out so I'm making a full 5G batch this week or next (as soon as my ferm chamber is empty!)

Wow I really want to hear how that one turns out. I love pumpernickel bread, if your beer tastes like it should be fabulous.

I'm tinkering with an Autumn Biere de Garde I'm hoping to brew next week. It'll basically be a butternut squash biere de garde with cacao nibs and peppers (thinking ancho & serrano) in the secondary.

I've pretty much got my next 7 beers planned. I've recipes (that I'll tweak as I go along), ingredients and tentative dates for brewing each of them. They are session IPA, slightly smoked Porter, American Pale, IPA (for a comp), session hoppy Oatmeal Red (maybe for comp if I can figure out what to enter it as), Brewdog Baby Dogma clone and a saphir based Pilsner.

I usually plan a couple beers ahead. My next one (a week away) is going to be my 2nd attempt at a wee heavy. The first one got infected. After that will be a nut Brown ale. I will use wlp028 and wlp007, respectively.

Once the 3 gallon FatFerment is released, a pecan smoked porter from 2 row i smoke myself, and potentially cherry smoked malt. Making it a small batch bottled beer to test. If its good I'll make a 5g batch to share with friends.

An irish red lager is the next 5g batch once the current smash is done (next week)

I have so many queued up! Next beer will probably be a saison, and then a biere de garde (sp?) that will substitute for my Octoberfest this year -- and I'm running out of time to have the BdG ready by mid September so I might skip the saison.

I'm going to start 4 gallons of apple juice fermenting tonight. Does that count?

I just bottled a witbier yesterday, and the warm flat yeasty sample was drinkable but not very good. (could not taste the hops at all) But it might surprise me in a couple of weeks when I open one. OTOH, it was brewed with Rochester tapwater plus lactic acid (no RO water this time) and it's drinkable; that is a big accomplishment.

Once the 3 gallon FatFerment is released, a pecan smoked porter from 2 row i smoke myself, and potentially cherry smoked malt. Making it a small batch bottled beer to test. If its good I'll make a 5g batch to share with friends.

An irish red lager is the next 5g batch once the current smash is done (next week)

I've always wanted to try smoking malt for something like this. Pecan smoked porter sounds great!

Our standard pale ale recipe, which we love, and use to test hops and combos thereof. Planning on a Citra Amarillo combo for this one!

I'm going to do a series of Belgian beers with crabapples and cherries. First a blonde, 10 gallons. I'll split it and add
10 pounds of crabapples to each fermenter. One will get a dose of lambic bugs, one will get Brett. Then I'll do a strong dark. 5 gallons will stay clean with cherries, and 5 gallons will have cherries and Brett.
And once I've brewed these beers I think I'm done with homebrewing. It's been a great 25 year odyssey, but it's time to move on with other hobbies.

Next week - rye IPA and a pumpkin beer

Then a stout, maybe a coffee one again. I want to do a California common too. Oh, and a couple lagers for the first time. And another NEIPA that I mix up a bit. Perhaps a Belgian thrown in there for good measure. I'll need a porter too.

Planning a porter, can't decide between a Honey Porter, a London Porter or some other style, maybe Caledonian.

I want a porter but it will be the one brew that I trick out. I am thinking of a smoked chipotle porter aged with French oak chips... Never have I attempted such a concoction!

Might be a mistake but it's worthy of the attempt.

I want a porter but it will be the one brew that I trick out. I am thinking of a smoked chipotle porter aged with French oak chips... Never have I attempted such a concoction!

Might be a mistake but it's worthy of the attempt.

It sounds wonderful! The wood aged beers that we get in the UK have truly wonderful vanilla aroma and flavours. Go for it! :mug:

Haven't brewed since summer started. Just too darn busy. Itching bad to break in a new brewbucket. Probably going with a juicy IPA. 2 row, flaked wheat, honey malt, flaked oats, hopped to hell with falc flight, cent, apollo and summit. WY1318 yeast. (Along the line of Bissell Brothers Substance)

I'm cold crashing brulosophy's (m)Octoberfest and the sample tasted really good. So I harvested some of the slurry from the WLP029 and I'm going to try to use it on a blonde ale recipe I've made successfully a few times with US-05 with the same fermentation temps/schedule as the (m)Octoberfest and see what happens.

My next brew will be an experiment.

Non-Alcoholic... wait for it...

Russian Imperial Stout

I know. The hell you say. But I'm planning to brew up a regular batch of a huge Russian imperial stout. Then split the batch.

Half will go all the way to bottling as normal.
The other half will be De-Alcoholed and tasted side-by-side once everything is complete.

I've got a plan for a sort of "bottom of the barrel" brew that'll use up the partial sacks of opened grains I have lying around. It'll be the hoppiest beer I've made so far. All mosaic hops with every addition coming in the last 10 minutes of the boil or later. I'm excited to see what kind of flavor I get.

I've also got a plan to turn out a double batch of biermunchers cream of three crops using only my 10 gallon biab setup. We'll see how that goes.

Brewing an English pale ale tomorrow, then I will have an American pale ale, an English brown ale and a porter be that will be a very busy recipe (for me).

Then I will need to by more than sacks of base malt.

Back