Winter Brewing Plans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBT_Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The holiday season is here and now is a good time to get a status check from all our members.

What are you making? What are new equipment are you acquiring? What do you plan to get started before the holidays?

Just check in and let us know where you’re at in your brewing process. And remember we love photos of your brews and equipment.

November
  1. Mosaic IPA 20 L ➡️🍾 ✖️3️⃣2️⃣ 27/11/23
    1. 🍄 Saturated
    2. 🌾 MO 4.6kg
    3. 🌿Mosaic
December
  1. Dry Stout 12 L ➡️🍾✖️2️⃣0️⃣
    1. 🍄 Beoir
    2. 🌾 MO 2.6kg
    3. 🌿 EKG
  2. Tribute 22 L ➡️🛢
    1. 🍄 Midland
    2. 🌾 MO 3.4kg, Vienna 0.3kg
    3. 🌿 Fuggles, Willamette
  3. Munich Dunkel 22 L ➡️🍾✖️3️⃣6️⃣
    1. 🍄 Novalager
    2. 🌾 Munich 3.0kg, DM 0.5kg, Pils 1.0kg
    3. 🌿 Magnum, Tettnang
January
  1. Munich Helles 22 L
    1. 🍄 Hell x2
    2. 🌾 Pils 4.0kg, Vienna 0.2kg
    3. 🌿 HM, Tettnang
  2. Landlord 22 L ➡️🛢
    1. 🍄 Midland
    2. 🌾 MO 3.8kg
    3. 🌿 EKG, Fuggles, SG
  3. Tokyo Lager 22 L ➡️ 🍾 ✖️3️⃣6️⃣
    1. 🍄 M54
    2. 🌾 Pils 3.9kg
    3. 🌿 Chinese, Saaz
February
  1. Sussex Bitter 22 L ➡️🛢
    1. 🍄 Midland
    2. 🌾 MO 3.8kg
    3. 🌿 Progress, BX, EKG
  2. Urquell 22 L ➡️🍾✖️3️⃣6️⃣
    1. 🍄 Hell
    2. 🌾 Pils 4kg, Vienna 400g
    3. 🌿Saaz
  3. Pataskala Red IPA 19 L ➡️🍾✖️3️⃣6️⃣
    1. 🍄 Five
    2. 🌾 Red X 2.0kg, Vienna 1.5kg, MO 1.0kg
    3. 🌿 Centennial, Cascade

I am planning an "Oats and Honey" brew for mid-December in a 13-gallon fermenter, I just need a bit more malted oats and one more jug of honey.

Lots of things on the to-do list, mostly things I haven’t tried before: adambier, kuitbier, weiss rauchbier, American imperial red, and rotbier. Also planning a peach saison, an oatwine and/or a ryewine, and a low-ABV beer or three.

I don't have any new equipment needs, but plenty of brews on deck. Some of my brews are180 degrees out of sync with the traditional timing. I plan a Kolsch and an ESB in the next couple months.

OTOH, I plan a London porter after the new year. And some lagers in March.

What are you making? [...] What do you plan to get started before the holidays?
Currently focusing on BIAB-ing (2.75 gal) a variety of clone recipes for classic beers (e.g. SNPA, 2-Hearted, Moose Drool, Bell's Best Brown, Edmund Fitzgerald porter, ...).

1st batch of the year has always been a Caribou Slobber / Moose Drool recipe. I intend to continue that tradition in 2024.

Along the way, I may revisit some "double red" / "imperial red" (malt forward) and "Red IPA" (hop forward) recipes that are in my notes from a number of years ago. As the basement (where I ferment) get cooler, I may also try a cold IPA.

where you’re at in your brewing process
Trying brewtan-b/oxblox, YOS, bottle conditioning at 75F (for 5-7 days) with fresh yeast and ascorbic acid, adding PET bottles to the mix early next year.

I'll be serving my two newest brews tomorrow - English Bitter and Belgian Blond. Based solely on tasting hydrometer samples along the way, I'm thinking I'm going to be disappointed with the bitter but pleased with the Blond. I need to get the Christmas stout packaged and ready to serve by 12/17. That one is pretty experimental, so no idea how it's going to turn out.

I've been kind of preoccupied with rehabilitating the jockey box and six kegs I picked up on Craigslist cheap, to the point that I haven't even had a chance to try out the new Fermonster I bought several months ago. Need to brew new batches of a couple of my standbys. The Brut IPA will probably come first because it's SWMBO's favorite. Also getting requests for the Nut Brown Ale and Black IPA.

Last edited:
Just starting back, and starting over. A best bitter for quaffing, and "Black Stag," an imperial stout. I am working in post-retirement in our LHBS and so will be using their equipment - until I can convince my wife another 20 gallon system, and kegerator (and cask) in our living room is critical to the well-rounded life. 😇

Now that it is cooler I've switched to brewing lagers. Will get the pipeline filled ASAP, as lager takes longer to reach prime.

Still plenty of summer ale to enjoy, and the run of Kloshes from this fall is starting to taste pretty good, now that they have had sufficient time to settle.

I have a 3 gallon keg of Munich Dunkel lagering, 5 gallons of blonde ale in the primary (kegging next weekend) and 5 gallons of raspberry hard lemonade fermenting. All should be ready for Christmas company. I’m having shoulder surgery on Dec 5, so I’m trying to get everything ready before then.

Rhino said Wee Heavy and then inspector jon said double bock, both sound like fun. Club brew day last Saturday and I have 5ish gals of a blond stout, I'm putting chocolate and coffee in. Should be interesting. :mug:

Back in the summer, I caught a sale on the 35L Gen1 Digiboil for $130. Electricity is cheaper than propane, (and delivered right to my wall with virtually no interruptions or refills needed), and the temperature control was a huge plus. I can set my temperature and just go get the rest of my gear setup. I used it only as a water heater for strike and sparge and I satisfied.
Until; I just found the Digimash upgrade kit on sale last week for $65! It just arrived yesterday. I’m hoping to give it a test run this weekend on mashing. This is the 110v version, so I intend to stick with the propane for boiling. Besides, I would rather not have all the trub, etc to clean out of the digiboil.

We are going to begin homebrewing (our first time) on our channel and air step by step videos of the process. Hopefully, people will check it out and point out what we're doing right or wrong along the way. We ordered a kit with an amber ale pack. My co-host wants to do Belgians, but we've decided to work our way up to something like that.

The kit we're using is his. I thought it would be interesting (even if a bit sacrilegious) to also use one of those Pinter! systems and then do a blind taste test. The Pinter! looks MUCH easier to use, so may be appealing to some of our viewers. I fully expect to get better results from the kettle kit we ordered, though.

youtube.com/@growintheglass

I'm hoping to knock out a cold-mashed English porter to start a new pack of yeast, a bacon brown, and an English Barleywine to Eis concentrate when our first real cold snap hits.

Maybe I'll sneak in a mild or dry stout to rotate on the Nitro tap as well.

In the winter I try to brew every other Sunday morning. Some will be keeping staples in stock but I’ll mix in a few things new here and there. Need to do something soon to put in my barrel. Thinking about an Irish red since I like Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale.

Tomorrow, ordinary bitter, and Ed Worts house pale. In a week or two, a dry irish stout and cream ale cause both are perilously low! After that lager, and some more lager, a d right after that lager. No particular batting order, but if ma nature is gonna provide the cold I might as well use it to make next summer's cold and tasties

The holiday season is here and now is a good time to get a status check from all our members.

What are you making? What are new equipment are you acquiring? What do you plan to get started before the holidays?

Just check in and let us know where you’re at in your brewing process. And remember we love photos of your brews and equipment.
I'm doing my first brew, a simple cyser that will hopefully be ready by Christmas

Sadly, I've been too busy at the brewery. I've only done one batch of homebrew since July

Just ordered nitro tap and regulator. Going to make a Guiness clone
Are you using beer gas? I did years ago but can't afford it right now. I carb up overnight and serve using my stout faucet. A poor man's Guinness I guess.

Bottled a cream ale yesterday.

I'll be serving my two newest brews tomorrow - English Bitter and Belgian Blond. Based solely on tasting hydrometer samples along the way, I'm thinking I'm going to be disappointed with the bitter but pleased with the Blond.
OK, so I was wrong. Turns out both are delicious and were big hits at Thanksgiving, although they have some haze that I can't quite figure out. Seems like my winter brewing plans might have to be revised to include teaching my BIL how to brew.

Back