What are your contrarian/"unpopular" beer opinions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's ok to be right even if others disagree with you. Sours suck, it's a fact.

what i find amusing is, on one hand, people are going the lengths of the earth to avoid the dreaded 'oxidation' that all beers have always had, even tho we like the taste of traditional beers, but at the same time, some of the *same* people, are excited about totally spoiled beer (sours). I get it, if you're a belgian peasant, you may not have another choice besides spoiled beer, just like some people like menudo or pigs feet or SOS because they were dirt poor growing up and that's all they had to eat... it reminds them of home and family, yadda yadda yadda. Me... I stay away from all that stuff. My family is climbing the social ladder. :tank:

what i find amusing is, on one hand, people are going the lengths of the earth to avoid the dreaded 'oxidation' that all beers have always had, even tho we like the taste of traditional beers, but at the same time, some of the *same* people, are excited about totally spoiled beer (sours). I get it, if you're a belgian peasant, you may not have another choice besides spoiled beer, just like some people like menudo or pigs feet or SOS because they were dirt poor growing up and that's all they had to eat... it reminds them of home and family, yadda yadda yadda. Me... I stay away from all that stuff. My family is climbing the social ladder. :tank:

You keep on climbing. More duck tongue, tripa tacos, and pork kidneys for the rest of us! :tank:

You keep on climbing. More duck tongue, tripa tacos, and pork kidneys for the rest of us! :tank:

How big is a ducks tongue? Beef tongue, now that's a meal. Duck tongue though? That's gotta be an appetizer. Maybe half a jalipano, a little cream cheese, wrap it in bacon and toss it in the smoker. Sounds good, now I need to find me some duck tongue.

I can't stand anything pumpkin and I've never had a Christmas or "winter" beer I've enjoyed. My homebrewing friends go nuts for them and I always end up with a six pack which goes to waste.

Imperial Stouts are disgusting They're basically sugary motor oil. Nothing that sweet should be considered a beer IMO, more like a boozy low carbonated extra hard soda...

IPA frequency Regular pale ales are much better. They oversaturate beer options. I just feel like it's trendy to love IPAs and drink nothing but right now. My biggest peeve with it though, is going to pick up a VARIETY pack and every damn one has 3-4 different beers, but they're all IPAs

Beer over complication Some people get WAAAY too into beer analysis and judgment. Some have to have the lastest trend, the newest hops. "(adjective/noun) notes this, and (adjective/noun) notes that".

Brewery bias People will love or hate a beer based on which brewery it came from. I guarantee most brewery biases wouldn't pass a blind taste test.

My "contrarian" opinion is as follows:

Since I started homebrewing (a little more than a year ago), I actually GAINED respect for the mega-breweries out there. To turn out such a volume, with such consistency, distributed everywhere, is quite something. The macro-adjunct-lager may not be tastiest beer that exists, but in the right circumstances, I'll enjoy a Coors Light or a Molson Export better than a "craft" unbalanced or inconsistent beer...

Exactly. I find it's a challenge to exactly replicate a recipe I made previously. These guys make lightly flavored American adjunct lagers exactly the same every time for thousands of batches simultaneously at multiple breweries across the country and on multiple continents.

I've had a metric crapton of excellent beer that wasn't LODO.

that's impossible, you just didn't realize that your beer sucked. All previous beer everywhere was oxygenated and terrible, and if you don't believe that you're a science denier! There's a consensus, I tell you!:rockin:

I can't stand anything pumpkin and I've never had a Christmas or "winter" beer I've enjoyed. My homebrewing friends go nuts for them and I always end up with a six pack which goes to waste.

I'm with you on this! I think for me it has a lot to do with spices that overpower the beer. The only pumpkin beer I've ever liked is a pumpkin saison by Three Barrel Brewing in Del Norte CO because the flavors were really subtle, complementing the flavors of the malt and yeast.

Certain styles wouldn't be right if done LODO. Best example i can think of is english ales, especially cask ales.

The LoDO paper says, "Simply put, you cannot make a proper Helles without employing a low oxygen brewing process."

Oxidation doesn't inherently make bad beer, but it does change it. Whether one prefers beer produced that way or not has no bearing on that fact that oxygen does react with and change beer.

Certain styles wouldn't be right if done LODO. Best example i can think of is english ales, especially cask ales.

The LoDO paper says, "Simply put, you cannot make a proper Helles without employing a low oxygen brewing process."

Oxidation doesn't inherently make bad beer, but it does change it. Whether one prefers beer produced that way or not has no bearing on that fact that oxygen does react with and change beer.

'proper' is a matter of opinion. Small brewers have been making great helles for centuries with no modern equipment or co2 purges. Of course tastes change, and it is yet to be known if we are at the tipping point of a revolution in brewing, or just another religious fad that will die out like (hopefully) pumpkin beers. ;)

I am very interested to try some LODO beers, even tho I don't really GAF about helles, and only drank it at places that weren't serving hefeweizen. I have had 7 liters of helles at a sitting, perhaps the LODO version would have let me survive the swinging pirate ship ride at the fest with less discomfort (in Augsburg germany).

Well made sours beers are Amazeballs! Brettanomyces are my favorite yeast and Brett beers ARE NOT SOURS! Well made DIPAs are juicy, hoppy, resiny, fruity, bitter pints of awesome. I love brewing well made (noticing a trend 🤔) session beers and I love sharing them even more. Coconut beer tastes like suntan lotion.

I've already admitted I don't like marketing and I like warm, flat beer so what do I know...

Can I post a third time? Good! I don't like Brett beers.

Mild Brett I can tolerate as it just smells like leather to me but when it's strong it smells like wet wool and manure. It's not that the smell of manure is that offensive to me (I'm not a city person), it's just that I don't want it in my beer. Just like I don't want hazelnut or raspberry in my coffee.

Most people radically underestimate the amount that different palates matter. Time and time again I've had a certain flavor overwhelm a beer that my friends couldn't even taste and vice verse.

For example me and two friends shared a bottle of Hobgoblin a while back (Korean bottle bar so probably old and had horrible things happen to it in shipping) and:
-1st friend: yeck, tastes like ash.
-2nd friend: mmmm, delicious maltiness.
-Me: my tongue was really overwhelmed by overripe fruit esters that I had to sip it slowly, tasted far more estery than most Belgians I've had.

Which of us was right?

This probably isn't contrarian/unpopular around here, but is sure to piss lots of people off in other circles. BeerAdvocate, Untappd, etc. are so #&$%ing stupid. Sure, it's nice to see if people universally hate a particular beer, but here's what I mean:

I went to a get-together last summer where every brought some beer for sampling. Every bottle that got opened, people would take a sip, then whip out the smartphones to log in and give their review, then check off that particular beer on the list so that they can show everyone that they officially tried it. This went on for hours. Every bottle. How silly.

This probably isn't contrarian/unpopular around here, but is sure to piss lots of people off in other circles. BeerAdvocate, Untappd, etc. are so #&$%ing stupid. Sure, it's nice to see if people universally hate a particular beer, but here's what I mean:

I went to a get-together last summer where every brought some beer for sampling. Every bottle that got opened, people would take a sip, then whip out the smartphones to log in and give their review, then check off that particular beer on the list so that they can show everyone that they officially tried it. This went on for hours. Every bottle. How silly.

I couldn't agree more. What would be more interesting would be to have wrapped all those beer bottles/cans so that those trying them were blind to what they were tasting, have them make notes and then reveal the beer. I really love doing blind tastings as it reinforces to me how terrible I am at recognizing a beer I've had before unless it's something that I really like or really don't like, then I'm a bit better that 50% correct. Doing blind tastings with a group is really fun and educational.

I think many use the above sites because they're insecure about what they're tasting so they want to go with what the majority say to figure out whether they like a beer or not and they don't want to be left out of a beer conversation so it's important to have lots of beers rated, even if it's only a sip.

99% of the time I will look over the taps in the bar and select something different, sip it and enjoy what the brewer was attempting, then settle on some great craft beer I know.

AND then there is the BLUE CAN. Don't know why, but I just do, especially if it's buried in ice in a cooler but ......

I LIKE BUD LIGHT.

There, I said it. Screw you beer snobs, but I'd bet the rent that many of you have cracked one open, taken a big sip and then opened you mouth and let out a relaxing "ahhhhhhhhhh" of pleasure.

99% of the time I will look over the taps in the bar and select something different, sip it and enjoy what the brewer was attempting, then settle on some great craft beer I know.

AND then there is the BLUE CAN. Don't know why, but I just do, especially if it's buried in ice in a cooler but ......

I LIKE BUD LIGHT.

There, I said it. Screw you beer snobs, but I'd bet the rent that many of you have cracked one open, taken a big sip and then opened you mouth and let out a relaxing "ahhhhhhhhhh" of pleasure.

I can't stand Bud Light! It's just gross, IMO.

And I'm not coming from a "beer snob" perspective...I drink Miller Light often when I go out with my buddies and sometimes sneak in a Coors Light, as well! :mug:

1. Belgian beers are okay, but generally overrated. I'm tired of people acting like they're the Second Coming in beer form.

2. Not a big fan of sour beers, but they occasionally have their place - it's probably the trend-chasing beer crowd that turns me off of them (you know, the guy in cuffed skinny jeans, a flannel shirt with red suspenders, a beard and more hair pomade than Elvis?).

3. Tired of everything needing to be Extreme in beer
a. imperialization of everything
b. the "more IBU/hops = better" mentality of west coast IPAs
c. 8-10% ABV beers unless they're barleywine

4. Tired of Session IPAs - it's a damn American Pale Ale at that point

5. Tired of Triple chocolate bourbon barrel cherry vanilla chile java coconut stouts (and their ilk).

6. I think classic German lagers are amazing beers and not boring at all, unless your palate has been killed by "more-is-better" west coast IPAs or the aforementioned ridiculous stout.

7. And if I am visiting someone and they offer me a BMC Light, because thats their house beer, I will graciously accept their hospitality and drink it without complaint. And you know what? I'll enjoy it too, because there is a time and place for every beer under the sun.

7. And if I am visiting someone and they offer me a BMC Light, because thats their house beer, I will graciously accept their hospitality and drink it without complaint. And you know what? I'll enjoy it too, because there is a time and place for every beer under the sun.

I humbly accept this wisdom in manners and consideration as a necessary adjustment to my own snobbishness. Thank you

I LIKE BUD LIGHT.

I can't stand Bud Light! It's just gross, IMO.

And I'm not coming from a "beer snob" perspective...I drink Miller Light often when I go out with my buddies and sometimes sneak in a Coors Light, as well! :mug:

The BMC I like and drink section!!! My wife's a Bud Light drinker. Lonestar is my lighter brew of choice but damn near impossible to find outside of Texas. Since moving to Colorado it has become Coors light or Coors original. I can't stand Bud or Bud Light...I'd rather drink the Beast!

(you know, the guy in cuffed skinny jeans, a flannel shirt with red suspenders, a beard and more hair pomade than Elvis?).

I think we all cringe at that guy.

And I couldn't agree with you more...Being gracious seems to be a rapidly disappearing trait.

don't tap my beer with the faucet inside the glass, submerged in the beer/foam.
can't believe how many bartenders don't know how to properly tap a beer :(

J.

I LIKE BUD LIGHT.

I am a huge fan of Bud Light Platinum, but only in the tall thin aluminum cans. The bottles are trash. I can guzzle those down in 3-4 sips easily.

6% carbonated alcohol water. It doesn't even attempt to taste like beer.

Latest posts

Back