What are your contrarian/"unpopular" beer opinions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of the positive health effects are just from alcohol (reservatrol effect in wine turned out to be fraud) - but low ABV drinks and slow drinking with food is crucial, so in that sense beer is much better than whiskey, vodka, tequila and other hard drinks.

I'd wouldn't say all positive effects are just from alcohol in relation to beer, especially homebrew (e.g. you're drinking some brewers yeast).

"SWMBO" is a stupid abbreviation for several reasons. One of them: this "abbreviation" is longer than gf or wife!

You win the thread!

I sometimes like frosted glasses. Particularly with lagers, esp Negra Modelo. Which I like with lime.

I also love an orange slice in my Blue Moon, even if it's a marketing ploy.

Green beer is a myth. If your process is sound a normal gravity beer will be drinkable in 10 days.

I agree. All the beers I've made that benefitted from aging did so because I produced some rough flavors through my process. My favorite beers have always tasted great coming out of primary.

Bottling beer by doing an open air transfer, mixing in sugar, going through a spigot and bottling wand into un-purged bottles, then letting it sit warm for two week absolutely oxidizes and destroys beer.

Suggestions for those of us brewing without kegs or closed-system fermentation and bottling equipment?

Jester King is overrated and only makes 1 good beer.

Even though I've been to the brewery, I've only had two of their beers (grumble grumble hipsters long lines grumble grumble). I strongly disliked one, but the other - a one-off two-cherry sour they were launching (and probably selling out even at $20/bottle) that day - was excellent. I was fascinated by the tour and really appreciated what they were trying to do with their beer, but in the end I think their success mostly comes down to the unquestioning hipster audience that flocks to the brewery every weekend, buying out most of their beer and creating a scarcity that allows them to imbue the remainder with the mystique that comes from scarcity and limited distribution.

Pilsner Urquell is the best beer in the world.

i have never much cared for pilsners in the west, but when I traveled to prague in the 80's a few times, i was pretty amazed by the drinkability of their beers. Pilsner in a bottle tastes absolutely NOTHING like plsen in the czech republic.

Am I allowed to post more than once to this thread? Good! I like warm beer, not heated mind you, just not cold. My favorite is warm flat beer, going into the keg. That's when I really know if the beer is a great beer or just a good beer. Cold and carbonation hide plenty.

I'd wouldn't say all positive effects are just from alcohol in relation to beer, especially homebrew (e.g. you're drinking some brewers yeast).

What I meant is across other drinks (wine, etc.) the positive effects are not due to some special ingredient like resveratrol in wine or hops in beer etc.

It's due to alcohol being a natural blood thinner that lowers risks of heart disease and stroke to some degree. If you drink diluted whiskey or vodka or ethanol and do it slow enough and with some food to slow down adsorption some more, you get the identical health benefit.

Green beer is a myth. If your process is sound a normal gravity beer will be drinkable in 10 days.

agree, except lagers and high-ABV beers and sours etc.

I can turn my IPAs in 8 days but they are best at 2 weeks or so.

I'll add to my previous post:

Over use of hops in brewing is much like overuse of spices in cooking. People do it to cover up bad beer, much like even the most mundane of dishes can be fixed with a simple application of some Cholula. Spices (refer to foods like TexMex) and hops are things people grow to like and eventually become, in a way, addicted to.
Hops are the hot sauce of brewing, and small, less-than-stellar, breweries have been pouring it on.

I'll add to my previous post:

Over use of hops in brewing is much like overuse of spices in cooking. People do it to cover up bad beer, much like even the most mundane of dishes can be fixed with a simple application of some Cholula. Spices (refer to foods like TexMex) and hops are things people grow to like and eventually become, in a way, addicted to.
Hops are the hot sauce of brewing, and small, less-than-stellar, breweries have been pouring it on.

some people just like more hot sauce.

I see people calling out the green bottles for the reason some beers are skunky. I think the reason may have as much to do with the hops used as it does the green bottles. Every time I use hallertau mittelfrueh I get that same skunky aroma and taste of beers like becks and saint pauli girl and this is from beer that came from a keg.

I am also a believer in trying your beer as soon it get carbonated, the flavor of beer changes with time so if you dont try it early you will not get another chance to experience that flavor. If it tastes good, drink it.

3 oz of flavor/aroma hops in a 5 gallon batch of IPA is PLENTY.

I absolutely do not give the slightest of ****s that Northern Brewer and some distant subsidiary of AB/InBev are in cahoots. Same when a small brewery gets bought up.

I like Miller Lite and pretty much always have some in the house.

Semi beer-related: don't boil bratwurst in beer. Know all that stuff on the surface of the beer after you take the brats out? That's all stuff that should stay in the brat - fat (fat is flavor) and spice (also flavor.) if you boil the fat out, they dry out and get gross. Every time I serve properly-cooked brats to boilers, I get a "wow! How'd you get them to be so juicy?!"

I've seen people pour on the hot sauce in amounts that it might as well be week old dry toast under the sauce for all the flavour leftover.....I feel similar about a lot of ipa's

don't you hate when people exercise freedom? lol. fwiw, just because YOU can't taste anything but hot sauce doesn't mean other people share your lack of palate talent. ;)

when in doubt, I taste before I buy, but the great thing about homebrewing is it doesn't really matter what other people brew. I only buy beer when I'm truly desperate (like at the end of summer when i run out of homebrew and don't have time until october to brew again), and I have no trouble finding stuff I like.

Back