What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hb stout

20150415_193536.jpg

I'm getting backlogged on IPAs and a ton of other beer.

Never thought I would have this problem.

Sour Homebrew by @electrolight he made with a DIY 'coolship'
Really good. You HBTers know how to make beer!
View attachment 271305

Aww, thanks @wobrien! You're too kind. It was an experiment that actually worked. Glad I could share it with you ^^

Sorry I never took a picture of your brew. It just poured so wonderfully I couldn't wait to try it... and before I knew it it was gone :(

PS: Nice glasswear!

Cofee. Made mistake last night of assuming a keg was about to kick. It was still pouring strong when I decided to give up and go to bed. I am trying to kill it because it is a 6 month old keg of Cream Ale that is clear as can be and still tastes pretty good (my cream ales always seem to develop a touch of an apple flavor with a little age on them), but I have kegs of Pale Ale that want the tap space.

There is one thing to say about the lower abv beers. For how many pints I had last night I still feel pretty good this morning. Especially with a hot second cup of artificial enthusiasm.

Man... I have the opposite problem. Kegs kick quicker than I can brew it.

20 gal kettle should fix that real quick.

Water, making a Mango banana strawberry protein smoothie. Come onnnn Friday.

Man... I have the opposite problem. Kegs kick quicker than I can brew it.

20 gal kettle should fix that real quick.

Water, making a Mango banana strawberry protein smoothie. Come onnnn Friday.

I bought a 25 Gallon BK a while back because it was cheap and because... well 25 Gallons. It just seems right to make 10 Gallon batches minimum with it. The old beer is the fault of me running out of gas and then forgetting to refill my tanks for a while along with lack of brewing for those same 5 months. Not to mention that it is pretty much just me who drinks my beers.

Tonight though. That keg of beer will meet its maker... Me. I will be victorious.

@DrunkleJon
I'm with you on that. I had a keg kick mid-bottle fill the other day. I figured it was close due to the amount of foam I got, but still. I am considering that Raspberry Pints thing so I at least have a general idea. Hoping that with it kicking it means the peanut butter chocolate stout I brewed will be super yummy and ready soonish for the empty keg. I've got nothing else brewing. :(

Coffee.

@DrunkleJon
I'm with you on that. I had a keg kick mid-bottle fill the other day.

What do you use to fill your bottles? I had tried the BMBF a few years ago, but all I got was foam. Maybe it's time to revisit or something else.

On the coffee.

What do you use to fill your bottles? I had tried the BMBF a few years ago, but all I got was foam. Maybe it's time to revisit or something else.

On the coffee.

I just use a tube that slides into my tap. There's a stainless steel growler filler which is like the one linked below. I bought the thing from a guy here for cheap with the hose and extra o-rings.

I turn down the pressure to about 2 PSI, I bleed the keg, let it refill, I then take a pint of beer because it's really the first pull that has a little more foam than the others. I then attach the hose, grab a bottle (I don't even chill them now) and let 'er rip. If the keg is over-carbonated then I'll know and I'll have to basically deal with it. Generally, I've been doing a heck of a lot better filling. At least people are mostly getting full bottles! :D

I put the bottle in a bowl so the overflow is caught as well. I drink the pint and high five myself in the mirror.

I just use a tube that slides into my tap. There's a stainless steel growler filler which is like the one linked below. I bought the thing from a guy here for cheap with the hose and extra o-rings.

Thanks!! That sounds like something very similar to the procedure I've been trying out. I've got some bottles that I filled from the last keg are still in the fridge, and I'm interested to see how they turned out. Some other bottles I filled and traveled with (they got warm) lost most of their carbonation.

One other thing that I do is chill the bottles/growler in the freezer for about 10 minutes prior to filling which seems to keep the foam down.

Lol @ high five :ban:

@DrunkleJon
I'm with you on that. I had a keg kick mid-bottle fill the other day. I figured it was close due to the amount of foam I got, but still. I am considering that Raspberry Pints thing so I at least have a general idea. Hoping that with it kicking it means the peanut butter chocolate stout I brewed will be super yummy and ready soonish for the empty keg. I've got nothing else brewing. :(

Coffee.

I jumped on raspberrypints with both releases. It is a great conversation piece and the flow meter version (with the expensive meters) is pretty spot on the kicking. I had a keg run out 4 ounces after it registered it as being empty. Unfortunately I was not sure how much was in this keg when I re-tapped it and my pi is not booting for some reason I have yet to look into. Maybe tonight while i kill this keg.

On the coffee.

I turn down the pressure to about 2 PSI, I bleed the keg, let it refill, I then take a pint of beer because it's really the first pull that has a little more foam than the others. I then attach the hose, grab a bottle (I don't even chill them now) and let 'er rip. If the keg is over-carbonated then I'll know and I'll have to basically deal with it. Generally, I've been doing a heck of a lot better filling. At least people are mostly getting full bottles! :D

I put the bottle in a bowl so the overflow is caught as well. I drink the pint and high five myself in the mirror.

I do the same for filling bottles from the tap. I use a section of tubing from my autosiphon (fits perfectly inside my perlick 525ss's) with a drilled stopper threaded on it as a bastardized version of a counterpressure filler. It keeps the bottle under pressure and i tilt the stopper to break the seal when pressure builds too much. Seems to reduce the foaming. Chilling the bottles and reducing serving pressure seems to help too.

Just got a message from a former colleague of mine. He knows my work situation and asked if I was interested in starting a craft brewery. I know absolutely nothing about getting one started and I don't consider myself a great brewer. I simply love to home brew and try new ****. He says he has investors willing to fund everything this year without me having to put any $ in. What I have been thinking is: #1, would it really survive? #2, what kind of stake would I have in this brewery? and #3, would I get paid similarly to what I was getting paid at my last job?

Thanks!! That sounds like something very similar to the procedure I've been trying out. I've got some bottles that I filled from the last keg are still in the fridge, and I'm interested to see how they turned out. Some other bottles I filled and traveled with (they got warm) lost most of their carbonation.

One other thing that I do is chill the bottles/growler in the freezer for about 10 minutes prior to filling which seems to keep the foam down.

Lol @ high five :ban:

Also, fill the bottles higher and cap on foam. The less headspace you leave (yes you will lose some beer to foam/spillover) the less room is left for the CO2 to break out of solution. I have bottled from the tap in the past and left the normal bottle conditioning level of headspace and came back a few months later to mostly flat beer. It seems to work better when you fill it to the top. Besides thats how the breweries I have been to seem to fill their growlers. And who can complain to getting more beer?

Back