What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_5381.jpeg

Hopped Muscat, like the grape? That sounds fascinating!
I think I put a 1/2# of whole-cone cascade in the fermenter with the juice kit and it is a lightly sweet, tart, and very grapefruity sparkling wine at 9.3%.

EDIT: 7oz hops

Last edited:
I think I put a 1/2# of whole-cone cascade in the fermenter with the juice kit and it is a lightly sweet, tart, and very grapefruity sparkling wine at 9.3%.
Oh, wow! Yeah, that's what I was wondering about, I can really see that working. And it also got me thinking about some of the fruity Rhineland grapes.

Story has it this is the original Kate the Great from Portsmouth Brewery that became Mott the Lessor at Tributary.

2022. I tried a bottle last year and it was infected. I do remember the stickiness in the bottling. Thought it was cool. Maybe not so now. Next time I'll do some washing This bottle was really good tho. Good and chewy
PXL_20240131_223558346.jpg
PXL_20240131_224037241.jpg

Its times like this that I’m reminded of that song “Heads Carolina, Tails California! That’s the way it is bouncing back and forth between great IPAs from both sides of the country!

We’ve left Asheville, North Carolina and moved our drinking solidly back into the San Diego beer Mecca – searching out even more IPAs! This is day 31 of the IPA Extravaganza and I’m still not through my IPA stash. Are we possibly overproducing IPA or does the market demand rise to whatever level is brewed? Your guess is as good as mine!

Rolling into the final stretch, I see most of my remaining IPAs are from breweries offering 3 to 5 different IPAs. I’ve been saving these multiple entries for the weekends, so that I have some recovery time! Hope you can appreciate that mid-week, I’m going to need to break these down and do them on multiple days, weekdays constituting my work week. Too much of these things leads to getting blasted drunk, which I don’t need and not really my thing!

Tonight I’m subjecting myself to the indignity of drinking a “Watermelon” flavored Dorado Double IPA. I don’t know how I missed this can in my refrigerator when I was doing my Ballast Point drinking – I wish I’d never found it! Seriously, I’m sure some of you out there are looking for a 10%, Watermelon-flavored Double IPA. I have no idea how they pulled that one off, or the greater question, WHY? But if you like it, this is a fine example. I don’t care for this one. I only hope they used seedless melons, I don’t need any more “discoveries” for today. Watermelon beer? Gabriel Sedlmayr would be rolling in his grave. Enjoy.

IMG_6787.jpeg

Another, weird, warm day. Not as warm as yesterday, but at 48, still 20+ degrees above average for Feb 1. So I put on a warm hoodie and headed back out on the deck for a couple beers, including this.

20240201_160106.jpg

If the groundhog sees its shadow tomorrow, that means 6 more weeks of lagering my beers in the ferm chamber. ;)

“The hits just keep on coming! – That’s 50’s-80’s Top 40 radio talk, and the same applies to all these delicious San Diego-area IPAs! Great job!

Today I’m splitting my 4-can presentation for the sake of sobriety and my IPA-swamped organs. Pizza Port out of Carlsbad has been on the scene since 1987, making it one of the true pioneers of the San Diego area beer scene. I’ll drink the first two cans today and chug the other two tomorrow.

I could find 4 Pizza Port IPAs, no doubt there are many more. As I’ve mentioned before, a lot of the creativity in brewing is in IPAs these days. Many of the other beers are more range-bound in their flavor, IBU color and appearance profiles. Not IPAs – the hops and the sky’s the limit!

Ponto IPA is a super-easy drinking “session” IPA (how often do you see that!?) At 4.5% it is an easy chugger, very light and spritzy, and a great starter IPA to get your BMC friends feet wet!

Swami’s - I’ve had good remarks on Swami’s before, thought I’d hit it again for this weeks’ Pizza Port tour. At 6.8% ABV, this is a delicious beer and has been brewed by Pizza Port since 1992. A terrific SoCal tradition.

My pick? Ponto! Surprisingly fresh and delicious, a terrific session-strength IPA. Enjoy!

IMG_6791.jpeg

Latest posts

Back