What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welp, another bowless season. I was too lazy to drive 5min for a BCBS but this will do.

PXL_20231124_204224560.PORTRAIT.jpg

Well, one of my daughters straggled into town today with her significant other. Too late for Lobster and Shrimp Scampi, but not too late for a tasty brew with Dad.

That’s when they hit me with it…. “We’d like you to try Mead, Dad!”

Mead? Did I not raise you correctly? What kind of person orders Mead when there’s Pilsner on the menu? “Dad, it’s the Nectar of the Gods, you will like it!” (“Besides, Black Friday it’s 50% off today”. ) Ah thrifty too!

Ok, so for the first time in my life I tried Mead. A flight of Mead samples makes me no expert, but I get the drift. By the way the old Brewing TV episodes had a great Mead segment with Curt Stock I really enjoyed viewing to tune me up a bit on Mead.

So, I’d say Mead is a little sweet for my palate, I tend toward the dryness of a Pilsner. A huge amount of flavors are possible here, almost like a sweet wine. Give Mead a try, it’s an important part of booze and human history and a great way to imbibe at about 7.5-8.5% ABV!

IMG_5932.jpeg

Having a Kona Big Wave, and making soup for tonight.

1000016717.jpg

After every Thanksgiving we make "turkey carcass soup." Boil the bones with some onion and celery, drain through a colander, then put in the Crock Pot with a couple cups of shredded leftover turkey, vegetables and some herbs. I'll add noodles the last hour or so before serving.

1000016718.jpg

Sounds good! We do the same thing and throw in some leftover dressing to thicken it some.
When I was a kid my mom used to mix cut up turkey with stuffing and gravy, add some elbow macaroni and bake it as a casserole. I used to enjoy that more than the Thanksgiving day meal.

We’re in the weeks of College rivalry games, notable watching the Michigan/Ohio State and Washington/Washington State games today. The closest thing I could find for that mindset and to satisfy both – Football and Beer – San Diego area’s Stone Brewing with their FIGHT ON Pale Ale, partner of USC this year.

Originally I thought this might have been a re-release of their former glorious (but relegated to the beer trash heap of history) Stone Pale Ale. That’s another story altogether – why the heck end that one? Formerly a great beer, now only a great beer in my mind.

FIGHT ON isn’t that beer however. It is a Pale Ale, but a hoppy one, similar to other “halfway there” beers that split the difference between regular old pale ale and a standard IPA. It satisfies that pale ale desire, but is hoppy and fresh – truly a great beer!

So before you get your game on, get a few of these FIGHT ON beers on. At 5.5% and in a masculine 16 oz can, these are sure to please the crowd!

IMG_5952.jpeg

Back