What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HB Scottish ale
IMG_20231128_174052390.jpg

Kicking back at home with a Duvel after a day at Forgotten Star Brewing. Did a pro/am where we brewed 15 bbl of a Grodziskie of my recipe. I'll post later in the pro/am thread I had started and give more deets, and pics.

My first taste of pro brewing. A lot of work, but had a great time!

20231128_180119.jpg

20231128_084907.jpg

Digging through my beer refrigerators (yes, plural) I found this lone can of Carlsberg Premium Elephant Pilsner. Great opportunity to give it a drink and review!

Carlsberg in Denmark has been at it since the early 1800’s, in fact owner J.C. Jacobsen isolated the first individual lager yeast strain at Carlsberg’s state of the art 1800’s laboratory in 1884 and made them available to other brewers. The first lager yeast, known as Carlsberg Yeast #1 was known as Saccharomyces Carlsbergensis for years before the pointy headed intellectuals took it from Carlsberg, renaming it Saccharomyces Pastorianus in favor of Louis Pasteur. Can’t anybody get some credit here? Geez. Right on Jacobsen!

Well the Elephant is an Elephant indeed, a BIG Pilsner, we might even call this a double Pilsner, it clocks in at 7.2% ABV. The big malt bill has some residual caramel and sweet notes I’m picking up. My preference is Bavarian Pilsners that are a bit drier and around 5% ABV, so this is one you slug down for serious drinking. 500 ml cans are what the Doctor ordered!

Overall a good heavy Pilsner. A big dude, but some of you are looking for that for sure. Skål !!!

IMG_5985.jpeg

Digging through my beer refrigerators (yes, plural) I found this lone can of Carlsberg Premium Elephant Pilsner. Great opportunity to give it a drink and review!

Carlsberg in Denmark has been at it since the early 1800’s, in fact owner J.C. Jacobsen isolated the first individual lager yeast strain at Carlsberg’s state of the art 1800’s laboratory in 1884 and made them available to other brewers. The first lager yeast, known as Carlsberg Yeast #1 was known as Saccharomyces Carlsbergensis for years before the pointy headed intellectuals took it from Carlsberg, renaming it Saccharomyces Pastorianus in favor of Louis Pasteur. Can’t anybody get some credit here? Geez. Right on Jacobsen!

Well the Elephant is an Elephant indeed, a BIG Pilsner, we might even call this a double Pilsner, it clocks in at 7.2% ABV. The big malt bill has some residual caramel and sweet notes I’m picking up. My preference is Bavarian Pilsners that are a bit drier and around 5% ABV, so this is one you slug down for serious drinking. 500 ml cans are what the Doctor ordered!

Overall a good heavy Pilsner. A big dude, but some of you are looking for that for sure. Skål !!!

View attachment 835054

I haven't had that in a long, long time, not since the 1980s. But I remember it fondly. Funny, I was talking with a couple brewers today and one of them remarked how there weren't many high-ABV lagers, aside from Doppelbocks, Baltic Porters, etc. And I mentioned that I couldn't think of a single pale lager that's up there in ABV. Never thought about Elephant.

I need to pick up some again.

On sale for $8/4pk at the Hippie Dippie store. A not awful beer from Vermont but a bit thin.

Off topic, took me 8 tries to get this picture. For the last couple weeks phone would reset when watching videos or trying to take a picture periodically. Been a challenge. Took the cover off and it's completely broke exposing the internals. Guess it's time for a new one...😢. "BackMarket.com" here we come!

PXL_20231129_214704237.MP.jpg

Paperback Brewing, Glendale, California released this Freak-Zoid of a beer can for all beer heathens out there I think. I suspect there is a place in Beer Hell for all drinkers of something called “Bunny with a Chainsaw,” their version of a Double Dry hopped 8.2% ABV Hazy IPA. I’m really walking tenderly here….

There’s a lot to unpack regarding this brew. I guess the can is one heck of a sales tool for sure, ABV is a bit high for me, I enjoy IPA’s in the 6-7% range more typically. This beer is another victim of the “Haze Craze” – personally I prefer a crystal clear West Coast interpretation.

Virtually no head, zero lacing, medium carbonation. Plenty of yeasty murk and crud floating around too – having personally brewed a bunch, I sort of view Haze and floaters as a sped-up, unfinished batch. I go back to when chill haze was a flaw, and floating chunks were for Sangia, not beer! Call me a traditionalist, make ‘em clear, delicious and beautiful I say!

Tastes OK….

IMG_5987.jpeg
IMG_5988.jpeg
IMG_5989.jpeg

Good meeting up with @pshankstar at Treehouse Tewksbury.

Big Blue dipa - all mosaic
Aged Eternity stout

Mega Treat Guava dipa - big guava
View attachment 835152
And that sum a btch dropped an in person porch bomb!View attachment 835151

Oh man... that's probably what I missed out on. Damn work!
It was great to meet up with @TheDudeLebowski in person tonight at Tree House! I enjoyed King Julius Peach, Eternity, and Doomfire while hanging out together!
Back at the hotel my colleagues, technology partners and I continued the celebration thus the worm town beers.
@ThirstyPawsHB only some of the cans I brought down to your neck of the woods but left with the Pint House crew. We will hopefully meet up soon some day!
Cheers @TheDudeLebowski abd enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_2996.jpeg
    IMG_2996.jpeg
    382.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3001.jpeg
    IMG_3001.jpeg
    418.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2999.jpeg
    IMG_2999.jpeg
    367.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2998.jpeg
    IMG_2998.jpeg
    312.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2995.jpeg
    IMG_2995.jpeg
    300.7 KB · Views: 0
Did you do low enzymatic mashing for 1.5%?
Yes, indeed! If by "low" you mean "non" or "cold," that is. This was a 2.5-gallon batch, where the grist was 6 pounds of huskless Pilsner (Briess) recirculated for an hour at 40 F -- that gave me a 1.005 SG sweet wort. This was followed by a normal mash with 3/4 pound of Munich and 1/4 pound of honey malt. OG was 1.018, before I added 1/2 a pound of inulin to try to increase body.

I'm feeling like this is really getting dialed in, at least for very hop-forward, low-ABV beers. Alcohol has a real sensory impact, and I miss it, but that's hard to avoid. Everything else is there. The beer is much better than commercial NA, but then again, it also has at least triple the alcohol, and can be served fresh and without pasteurization.

Bell's No Yeah. Because it was in the refrigerator in the house, and my kegs are all out in the shop in the keg fridge, and I already got my shoes off, and there is a bunch of sucky snow between there and here, and it was a LOOOONG day and the floor is too fricking far away to go all the way down there to tie my shoes anyway - so there. Plus it kinda tastes good tonight - so it must be a Blond ale kinda night. So all good. Out.

Back