What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GF Maple Milk Stout

20231118_132811.jpg

Finished up the yard work a while ago. Had enough of the leaves, which many of the trees didn't give up until recently. We've had a week of winds >30 mph, and today it finally was reasonably calm. Good day to be outside. Sunny and 55. On Thanksgiving the high is expected to be 25. Gonna miss these mild days.

Put the mower away for the season. Tested the snow blower. It started, with the help of a little Sea Foam.

Treating myself to a Duvel.

1000016638.jpg

Another brewery opened up close by to me. How I didn't know about it? No clue. Epigram. Just on the other side of the border with Spyglass Quite big. Great staff, food and good beer. Maaay be my new place. They gotta work on the acoustics of the place tho. Nit pickin'

PXL_20231118_185700059.jpg

TEMPTATION​

New England IPA 7.0%. Mosaic, Idaho 7, and Citra hops combine, offering bright citrus, juicy tropical fruit, and pine aromas that intertwine a mesmerizing taste and adventure

PXL_20231118_185720217.jpg

ETERNITY IN AN HOUR​

New England DIPA 8.5%. Crafted with Comet, Amarillo, and Nelson Sauvin hops, resulting in a medley of zesty citrus, tropical fruit, and floral aromas

PXL_20231118_191009869.jpg

Another brewery opened up close by to me. How I didn't know about it? No clue. Epigram. Just on the other side of the border with Spyglass Quite big. Great staff, food and good beer. Maaay be my new place. They gotta work on the acoustics of the place tho. Nit pickin'

View attachment 834222

View attachment 834223

View attachment 834224

I've found few taprooms that had good acoustics. All those metal stools and tables, corrugated sheet metal decor a'la Chipotle circa 2003, and the open ceilings with all the exposed pipes and vents.

It's like there's a master design plan that everybody follows.

I do know of a few breweries around here with old couches to lounge on.

Once in a while I just need to guzzle good old fashioned USA adjunct lager. No doubt I drink my share of other beers from around the globe, but I have to admit, $17.99 of 2023 bucks for a 30 pack of Coors super clean lager grabs my attention every time.

I think the most incredible thing is that they can brew a lager so light and clean to start with. Brewing a light lager is one of the hardest things to do. Any little flaw becomes immediately noticeable. And here they brew mega batches of this, year after year and it is the same dang beer every time. Great job!

You’re probably wondering why I’m forcing 4 of these Silver Bullets into my BierKrug. Well, hey hey, I think the best way to experience a beer is to push your whole face into the stein. Get your nose down close to the foam and breath it all in. Big huge gulps of flavor deliciousness! No better way to become one with the beer!

4.2% ABV, so super clean, excellent light lager. Diet beer. Chugging beer. Drinking it with food. Whatever you are using it for, it is liquid perfection. I think we beat up on the US domestic lager market too much. Some of these are consistently quality brews. We stand on the shoulders of giants. Drink up!

IMG_5858.jpeg

Once in a while I just need to guzzle good old fashioned USA adjunct lager. No doubt I drink my share of other beers from around the globe, but I have to admit, $17.99 of 2023 bucks for a 30 pack of Coors super clean lager grabs my attention every time.

I think the most incredible thing is that they can brew a lager so light and clean to start with. Brewing a light lager is one of the hardest things to do. Any little flaw becomes immediately noticeable. And here they brew mega batches of this, year after year and it is the same dang beer every time. Great job!

You’re probably wondering why I’m forcing 4 of these Silver Bullets into my BierKrug. Well, hey hey, I think the best way to experience a beer is to push your whole face into the stein. Get your nose down close to the foam and breath it all in. Big huge gulps of flavor deliciousness! No better way to become one with the beer!

4.2% ABV, so super clean, excellent light lager. Diet beer. Chugging beer. Drinking it with food. Whatever you are using it for, it is liquid perfection. I think we beat up on the US domestic lager market too much. Some of these are consistently quality brews. We stand on the shoulders of giants. Drink up!

View attachment 834232
I’ll see your 30-pack and raise you an 18-pack.

For not much more than $17.99, by buying in bulk and repitching yeast, I can brew 50, 12 oz pours of this Fizzy Yellow Beer. 4.5% ABV, 20 IBU, 3 SRM. Light, crisp, and refreshing. And, it has the ingredient missing from those industrial scale corn and rice lagers. Flavor. 😎
0095C9AF-586F-4CB6-AB6C-B8C0D93F1660.jpeg

I've found few taprooms that had good acoustics. All those metal stools and tables, corrugated sheet metal decor a'la Chipotle circa 2003, and the open ceilings with all the exposed pipes and vents.

It's like there's a master design plan that everybody follows.

I do know of a few breweries around here with old couches to lounge on.
That's definitely this place. Wide open and industrial. Lots of TVs blaring to watch the game which I like. However, I can hear the people 50' across the bar better than the waitress in front of me.

A lot of breweries in Mass are this type for whatever reason. Industrial. The good thing in no time they put up a couple of foam sound mitigations and it's fine. This place is nicely designed tho. A lot of nice nooks and crannies

OT: one of these days I'll get my beer glass buying addiction under control. Today was not that day. Empty Epigram glass and Spyglass stein to support local :)
PXL_20231118_230500115.jpg
PXL_20231118_234552102.jpg

What the heck is a German porter?

Porter with a lager yeast. It comes across to me as an English porter minus the yeast expression. Noble hops in the background. Maybe similar to a Baltic porter but drier? I've not had any Baltics to compare. Whatever it is, delicious.

A lot of breweries in Mass are this type for whatever reason. Industrial.

Because so many of them are in old DEC buildings. Like the place you were in in Littleton the other day, Spyglass is in an old Digital Equipment Corporation complex - that one was called MKO (for Merrimack). I used to chopper up there and back to MRO (Marlboro) quite often back in the day...

Cheers!

Homebrewed imperial stout. Only 10 weeks old and already delicious! The key for such early results? Keep the black patent in the pantry and OUT OF the grist! Also, 5% chocolate 350L, 5% roast barley 300L, 3% pale chocolate, 1% midnite wheat, 8% medium crystal, ferment on a yeast cake, and bottle with extra yeast. Oh, and a little bourbon! Went with 1oz per gallon on the bourbon. Next time will bump that to 1.5 oz per gallon...

1700364760134.png

Homebrewed imperial stout. Only 10 weeks old and already delicious! The key for such early results? Keep the black patent in the pantry and OUT OF the grist! Also, 5% chocolate 350L, 5% roast barley 300L, 3% pale chocolate, 1% midnite wheat, 8% medium crystal, ferment on a yeast cake, and bottle with extra yeast. Oh, and a little bourbon! Went with 1oz per gallon on the bourbon. Next time will bump that to 1.5 oz per gallon...

View attachment 834257
If I may add, water chemistry is so important to the success of my IS's. In addition, had a tannin problem when first brewing them but now I only add the dark malts about 30-40min into the mash and this has significantly reduced that unwanted effect. All this, of course, subject to personal preference. 🍻Congratulations on your success!

Latest posts

Back