What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m still wandering through the Dark Forest of beers. My memory of Stone Arrogant Bastard was that of another darker, bigger, hoppier Ale. This beer sort of transcends categories. Color is brown-reddish like an Oud Bruin going on Flanders Red or an Irish Red Ale. Hoppiness is much higher however. Not really understanding this style, I found no more usable information from the Stone website – they have “Beer Style” and “IBU” listed as “Classified”. All I can tell you is it is big, it is filling and it is really hoppy.

My wife is a natural wine drinker, but when the box dries up and she is forced near my beer hoard, she picks Stone Arrogant Bastard. Maybe it is the color, but I think it is this “bigness” that reminds her of the wine she is being deprived of. She does say this beer fills her up though, this and a few snacks and she’s full, find your own dinner tonight!

Not me though, I could drink a gallon of this. Drinking is not the same as surviving however, a Saturday night gallon of this would wipe me out well into Sunday afternoon! Maybe Monday!

Decent head, fantastic lacing, 7.2% ABV, this beer lives up to its reputation as a heavy hitter. This seems about 9% ABV to me. Now what can I scrounge up for dinner? !!!

IMG_5836.jpeg

Last edited:
Brutal name! Watched a few YouTube videos when they go through Iowa.

Jupiter's Big Red spot showed now that it's darker. Saturn's ring are casting a shadow on the planet and can see multiple rings. Andromeda is a fuzz ball here in Austin but will do my best to snap a picture with the Cannon. And yes, galaxies are real.. can't believe that's a thing with adults in this country! 😢

Bumped up a few ABVs ..
PXL_20231115_020046381.PORTRAIT.jpg

Just saw one of the longest "shooting star" in decades. At least 1/2 the sky! That deserves another beer. Awaiting Orion/Horse Head to pop up over the house.

Unfortunately, the Cannon battery is dead and doesn't seem to want to charge so couldn't get any pics of Andromeda.

HB Hazy IPA

PXL_20231115_041151957.jpg

Last edited:
Was going to bottle a couple to share. Wanted to enhance the Hazy PA with more hop oil first but my color scheme isn't fool proof and I added a bunch to the French Toast Imperial Stout. 😔

As bottling amateur hour continues, discovered these will not cap. And for some reason can't get the picnic tap on the IPA... anyway having some home brew. 🍻

PXL_20231115_222001254.jpg
PXL_20231115_225043633.jpg

Baby’s First Kegerator.

Daughter and Son-in-Law’s new house, outdoor kitchen with a custom built-in kegerator. Keg on the left is a HB WCIPA that snagged me a 2nd Place Ribbon recently. On the right tap is a sixtel of Coppertail Brewing (Tampa) that I picked up today to officially christen the tap. Really smooth IPA I’ve tried to brew myself, but couldn’t do it Justice.

Attachments

• IMG_2222.jpeg
    IMG_2222.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Jeremiah Johnson Blonde Ale
6EC5B1DE-4632-4CA9-BD0D-0988251BC509.jpeg

I usually have a Blonde of one kind or another on tap or in the pipeline. I really like this one; it sort of splits the difference between a Blonde and an APA. The label says it‘s brewed with Pale two-row, Munich, Caramel, and White Wheat, with Perle and Saaz to 30 IBU. I see something along these lines as a brew day in the not too distant future…

Jeremiah Johnson Blonde Ale
View attachment 833987
I usually have a Blonde of one kind or another on tap or in the pipeline. I really like this one; it sort of splits the difference between a Blonde and an APA. The label says it‘s brewed with Pale two-row, Munich, Caramel, and White Wheat, with Perle and Saaz to 30 IBU. I see something along these lines as a brew day in the not too distant future…

I like that hybrid idea. I like APAs, but some guests think they are too hoppy. I find many blonde ales needing a bit of oomph. Need something to bridge the gap.

I might try something like that.

A Blonder Shade of Pale. (Commence Procol Harum earworm.)

Stone is one of the most iconic San Diego area brewers on the scene currently. I think a large part of the San Diego beer movement can trace roots back to Stone, with beer-savvy brewers making their own ale houses throughout the area. While exploring different types of dark beers, including their Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA is a real treat for me.

I come down on the side of re-naming these beers “Cascadian Dark Ales” which is the other fist-fightworthy name for Black IPA’s. For Moi, the entire notion of a “Black” Pale Ale of any sort is just wrong. This would be like ordering up some “Black” White paint for your house. A real misnomer in my book. It is a Dark, Hoppy Ale for sure, but not “Pale” by any stretch of the imagination!

This is a hard beer to locate – I’m not sure how often Stone runs a batch of this, but each time it shows up at the local bottle shop it is grabbed by all the Hop-Heads and IPA Hounds very quickly.

At 8.7% ABV, small amount of head, no lacing and an IBU of 90, you’ll be sure to get your freak on with this bad boy. Don’t say I didn’t warn you!

IMG_5844.jpeg

Last edited:
Did some of our T-giving supply runs yesterday. Went to Total Wine for some libations for guests. Mainly wine, and some easy-drinking beer for those who may not enjoy HB.

I took a cue from one of @Beermeister32's recent classic beers reviews and picked up an old stalwart I haven't had in years, Kona Big Wave.

One of our guests is a BMC drinker, and I thought the beer would be a good craft beer-on-training-wheels for her to try.

Of course, I had to sample one today. Quality control.

1000016627.jpg

Sounds so good. Have you used coconut before in a stout? I’m planning a stout after Thanksgiving to split between 2, 3-gallon kegs. Was thinking of using maple syrup & coconut on one half. Can’t decide if those will clash.

Sample pour of my Coconut Milk Stout, kegged three days ago,

View attachment 834008

Last edited:
Love that beer so much I wanna take it behind a middle school and get it pregnant.

Stone is one of the most iconic San Diego area brewers on the scene currently. I think a large part of the San Diego beer movement can trace roots back to Stone, with beer-savvy brewers making their own ale houses throughout the area. While exploring different types of dark beers, including their Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA is a real treat for me.

I come down on the side of re-naming these beers “Cascadian Dark Ales” which is the other fist-fightworthy name for Black IPA’s. For Moi, the entire notion of a “Black” Pale Ale of any sort is just wrong. This would be like ordering up some “Black” White paint for your house. A real misnomer in my book. It is a Dark, Hoppy Ale for sure, but not “Pale” by any stretch of the imagination!

This is a hard beer to locate – I’m not sure how often Stone runs a batch of this, but each time it shows up at the local bottle shop it is grabbed by all the Hop-Heads and IPA Hounds very quickly.

At 8.7% ABV, small amount of head, no lacing and an IBU of 90, you’ll be sure to get your freak on with this bad boy. Don’t say I didn’t warn you!

View attachment 833990

Latest posts

Back