What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been off the beers for a few days due to a nasty virus. Dropping an HB NEIPA this evening now my taste and smell is on it's return to normality.

PXL-20231108-213338906-PORTRAIT.jpg

No bones about it, I’m really diggin’ this tasty Kolsch. Produced by Privatbrauerei Gaffel Becker, Cologne, Germany, since 1908. Kolsch is a protected name for beers of this type brewed in Cologne. Does that mean Frankfurters must come from Frankfurt? I am perplexed.

This great brew has a 4.8% ABV, starts out as an Ale as we know and then is Lagered. No fruity esters on the front end like other Kolsch beers I’ve had, just totally clean Ale, I’d swear this is a Lager, but it is not! A solid one-finger head lasts a while and the lacing is perfection. Scanning the can, I see hop extract used instead of Hops. Again, Hop extract? I need to do some research here obviously, seems like extract is creeping into a number of our beers.

This one is a keeper, in fact it is my favorite Kolsch so far this season - wait a minute, I just drank all of it. Go buy more! Prost!

IMG_5808.jpeg
IMG_5811.jpeg

Every once in a while, I get in a dark, pensive mood. Good thing there’s just the cure for getting me out of my funk…. Something equally dark.... Warsteiner Dunkel!

A hearty but clean drinking Dunkel, darker than most to match my dark mood. I’m picking up roasted coffee taste in my beer, which I don’t really care for, making my mood even darker. Bring me an HB Dunkel, quick! Otherwise a good beer, 4.8% ABV, drinks clean like a Pilsner.

Beer froth is about the width of a Number #2 Yellow pencil, excellent lacing. This is what they were drinking lots of before the Pilsner and Helles beer revolution. Sissy little wussified 11.2 oz bottles, this would be better in two big aluminum 500 ml cans. Prost!

IMG_5814.jpeg

Every once in a while, I get in a dark, pensive mood. Good thing there’s just the cure for getting me out of my funk…. Something equally dark.... Warsteiner Dunkel!

A hearty but clean drinking Dunkel, darker than most to match my dark mood. I’m picking up roasted coffee taste in my beer, which I don’t really care for, making my mood even darker. Bring me an HB Dunkel, quick! Otherwise a good beer, 4.8% ABV, drinks clean like a Pilsner.

Beer froth is about the width of a Number #2 Yellow pencil, excellent lacing. This is what they were drinking lots of before the Pilsner and Helles beer revolution. Sissy little wussified 11.2 oz bottles, this would be better in two big aluminum 500 ml cans. Prost!

View attachment 833517

Yeah, what's up with the 11.2 oz bottles everywhere? Rhetorical question--it's the usual shrinkflation. It wasn't long ago when tons of European beers came in 500ml bottles that were heavy enough to hammer nails.

I might have to pick up some of that Dunkel, though the roast coffee notes might be a little weird for the style.

Back