What are you brewing today/weekend, post pics...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed an amber tonight. Missed my OG by 2 points but it's close enough. Sorry for the bad pics.

For a homebrewer, 2 points off is rock'n.

Cheers,

The IIPA I brewed last was dead on w the recipe at 1.084. It finished a little higher than expected but I attribute that to it being an extract recipe and the US-05 not attenuating fully. It still ended up at 9.3% if I remember correctly so I'm ok w it lol.

My brew day: Brewing my Bourbon Ice Beer, which is my favorite. Recipe in signature area below.

_DSC0107.jpg

_DSC0114.jpg

_DSC0097.jpg

_DSC0091.jpg

I did a 1.5 gallon Arrogant Bastard clone. This is the only picture I took to show my neighbor...my homemade wort chiller. Cooled the wort in about 3 minutes with some stirring.

Wort smelled amazing.

*Edit...forgot to add that this was my first batch that I crushed my own grains with a Corona style grain mill. I hit all of my numbers nicely.

WP_20140316_002.jpg

I'm taking a brewing holiday this week. Will be off from Thursday through Monday of next week. I plan to brew 4... American Wheat Ale, American Rye Ale, Ordinary Bitter, and a clone of Northern Brewers Surly Cynic clone (a clone of a clone - so to speak).

Of course, I need to finish tilling up my front yard. I need to place my beer ingredients on one side of the scale, and the tiller on the other to see who wins. Somehow I believe the grain will weigh more than the tiller this weekend. My muscles will appreciate a weekend away from yard work.

I did a 1.5 gallon Arrogant Bastard clone. This is the only picture I took to show my neighbor...my homemade wort chiller. Cooled the wort in about 3 minutes with some stirring.

Wort smelled amazing.

*Edit...forgot to add that this was my first batch that I crushed my own grains with a Corona style grain mill. I hit all of my numbers nicely.

Love that beer, and the fragrance. Good luck

Cheers

I'm taking a brewing holiday this week. Will be off from Thursday through Monday of next week. I plan to brew 4... American Wheat Ale, American Rye Ale, Ordinary Bitter, and a clone of Northern Brewers Surly Cynic clone (a clone of a clone - so to speak).

Of course, I need to finish tilling up my front yard. I need to place my beer ingredients on one side of the scale, and the tiller on the other to see who wins. Somehow I believe the grain will weigh more than the tiller this weekend. My muscles will appreciate a weekend away from yard work.

A brewing holiday? Now that's a holiday! What a great idea. We should petition Congress for a brewers holiday, right?

Cheers,

Post your Barleywine pics...

Here goes:

Mash tun ready to go

Heating strike with mash tun and grain at the ready

Hop charges laid out. It actually ended up 20 15 10 5.

A little high but that's OK.

I measure my first runnings into a graduated pitcher so I can adjust my absorption rate and know for sure what I'm starting with.

Got all my post boil stuff in sanitizer before disaster struck.

I don't have any pics of the actual wort or beer because it's in a bucket. I'll snap a few at bottling and put them up.

Cheers!!!

Here goes:

Mash tun ready to go

Got all my post boil stuff in sanitizer before disaster struck.

[/URL]

I don't have any pics of the actual wort or beer because it's in a bucket. I'll snap a few at bottling and put them up.

Cheers!!![/quote]

Wow, nice pics dude. That's what makes this fun. thanks

Cheers

Going to brew an IPA tomorrow, I'm going to try to take pictures and post them here of the entire process.

I just got finished brewing an American IPA. It's going to be entered into a local BJCP competition. This will be the first beer that I've entered into a judged event. Everything went smooth, the finished wort tasted amazing. The only problem I encountered was the fact that I lost 1.5 gallons to hop trub, I guess that's the price you pay for making a hop bomb.

My yeast starter on a homemade stir plate.
0322141629.jpg

Milling Grains, I love my Monster Mill.
0323141051.jpg

The mash.
0323141134.jpg

Fly sparging.
0323141300a.jpg

Close up of fly sparge manifold.
0323141300.jpg

The wort begins to boil.
0323141430.jpg

The hop additions, I think this is going to turn out great.
0323141128.jpg

Chilling the wort after the whirlpool.
0323141555.jpg

Transferring to fermenters.
0323141627.jpg

Forcing oxygen into the wort through a stone.
0323141758.jpg

Waiting for the yeast to turn the wort into deliciousness.
0323141832.jpg

I plan to dry hop with a few ounces of Simcoe, Amarillo, and Centennial once fermentation is complete. As long as this beer doesn't place last I'll be happy.

Worst brew day ever. I've been brewing off and on since 94 and today was my first ever boil over. And it was on the stovetop no less. Finished the boil outside on my TFB so not a huge deal. Just spent an hour pulling the range away from the wall and cleaning every square inch of half of my kitchen. I won't be brewing indoors anymore. And I'm buying a bigger pot. I do have some pre-disaster pics I can post later once I get the rest of it cleaned up. I thought about taking pics of the disaster but I didn't. I just it to be over with.

It's a bummer you had a boil over. When I have a full pot I get a hand held screen/sifter and scoop out the white foam on top, which builds up prior to boil. I heard the white foam are proteins. I'm not sure, but it does stop the boil overs.

Cheers

It's a bummer you had a boil over. When I have a full pot I get a hand held screen/sifter and scoop out the white foam on top, which builds up prior to boil. I heard the white foam are proteins. I'm not sure, but it does stop the boil overs.

Cheers

Well, the irritating thing is that I used defoamer in the pot. I added some DME and sugar at the 20-minute-left mark and I should have just added it at the beginning. Kind of my own fault but I thought that's what defoamer was for. I've got a spray bottle now and I'll try the skim method. I'll be outdoors using a taller pot as well. We'll see.

Well, the irritating thing is that I used defoamer in the pot. I added some DME and sugar at the 20-minute-left mark and I should have just added it at the beginning. Kind of my own fault but I thought that's what defoamer was for. I've got a spray bottle now and I'll try the skim method. I'll be outdoors using a taller pot as well. We'll see.

I never liked the defoamer. That's why I went with the large scoop with a screen bottom.

Good luck.

paulegli, wow look at that. I love Pliney and Blichmann BoilerMaker kettle too. The fragrance is killer awesome.

Great pics,

Please post pics of your brew day. We are all interested in your brewing day. Whether it's on your stove top, converted keg or custom brewery. We are all at different levels and want to see your progress.

Thanks

I am hitting three 10 gallon batches today...
-SNPA clone
-SN Tumbler Clone
-Oatmeal Porter

struck my first mash at 9 am... gonna be a long day!

WP_20140406_001.jpg

I am hitting three 10 gallon batches today...
-SNPA clone
-SN Tumbler Clone
-Oatmeal Porter

struck my first mash at 9 am... gonna be a long day!

I hate stuck mash. I run water through the mash tun backwards, which usually works. However, it is typical symptomatic of a bigger problem, like compacted grains.

Hope it went better,

I realize this thread encourages pics, but we already have "Who's brewing this weekend" and "What I did for beer today", do we really need another? How many threads do I need to update when I brew? :drunk:

I hate stuck mash. I run water through the mash tun backwards, which usually works. However, it is typical symptomatic of a bigger problem, like compacted grains.

Hope it went better,

Yeah it was the oats in the oatmeal porter... knew I should have used some rice hulls. The rest of the day went without a hitch, thankfully.

Yeah it was the oats in the oatmeal porter... knew I should have used some rice hulls. The rest of the day went without a hitch, thankfully.

Those oats make for a slow mash, being it is so gummy. Glad it worked out.

Post pics if you have them,

That sounds really good. My Saturday is looking like the Fuller's London porter recipe with Irish ale yeast. I'm afraid of bottling with 1968 after reading the giant English yeast thread.

Irish ale starter for a porter and likely more batches in the near future. Most ghetto stirplate I have ever seen, but totally effective.

1397181268330.jpg

This is what I have done this week for beer. Made a 1.9L starter. Added shelves to my kegerator / fermentation chamber. Watched my brew buddy play with spent grains. Brewed 6 gallons RIS.

1397229316218.jpg

1397229329339.jpg

1397229347573.jpg

1397229359666.jpg

1397229371587.jpg

Added the bucket to chamber to drop over night from 78-60. Enjoyed some bells 2 hearted in celebration of making my biggest beer. Added blow off tube after pitching and it's going like crazy right now.

1397229477486.jpg

1397229489756.jpg

1397229504767.jpg

1397229517813.jpg

Bottled my 2 gallon batch of a modified MB kit. No idea what to call it. Lost a bit to the leaf hops but what I sampled tasted decent. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397329318.220980.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back