Westvletern 12 - Anyone had it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdubbaya

Reaction score
Received a package this week from a fellow HBT'er, he sent me a bottle of Westy 12!

I've never had it, but it's been on my wish list for years. My wife and I will be welcoming our first child in April, so this will be my celebratory beer!

Anyone had it before? How did you like it? Does it live up to it's hype?

Cheers! :mug:

388266_807712745359_33801241_37228437_94048436_n.jpg

It's quite tastey. Did it match the hype?... Not sure, it has a lot of hype. I really enjoyed it but still think I like Rochefort 10 better. It'd definitely be worth having on your special day though so don't let any poo pooers spoil your fun!

I loved it, was it worth the work to get it? I did not think so. Then again the one we drank was 6 years old, I have never had another Belgium beer aged that long. No doubt it was one of the best belgium beers I have ever tasted if not the best.

I'm looking forward to drinking it. I traded for it, so it wasn't difficult to get.

I've heard its similar to the St. Abt 12 so I might find a bottle of that and do a side by side with a friend of mine.

I'm glad I got a hold of one and I'm pretty excited to drink it when my daughter is born!

Sent from Space using Home Brew Talk App. Yes, Space.

I have a bottle sitting in my closet... I mean cellar... right now. I have yet to come up with an event great enough

I'm looking forward to drinking it. I traded for it, so it wasn't difficult to get.

I've heard its similar to the St. Abt 12 so I might find a bottle of that and do a side by side with a friend of mine.

I'm glad I got a hold of one and I'm pretty excited to drink it when my daughter is born!

Sent from Space using Home Brew Talk App. Yes, Space.

It does live up to the hype. We went to a Belgian beer and cheese paring and had Westy 12, St. Bernardus Abt 12, and a bunch of others. The Westy was by far the best. You won't be disappointed. Drink it in a good Belgian chalice, not too cold. Congrats on your daughter!

I've been lucky enough to have enjoyed quite a few bottles of the stuff and while it is an excellent beer, the hype is overstated. Yes, it is very complex and wonderful tasting and probably impossible to replicate, but drink it enough of it and it loses the mystique. I personally prefer the rochefort 10, but the westy is very nice too.

The last bottle of it I tried was from 1997. Let's just say this is not a beer to age for 15 years. Hope you enjoy your bottle and congrats on the kid too!

Fwiw, I like the st Bernardus abt but it's definitely a different beer. I also second the notion that you want it a bit warm, quads like most beers, change a lot as the warm

Back