Weizenbock Adventure!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So looking to brew a Weizenbock this week. wanted to see what ya all thought of this recipe. I am also trying to decide which yeast I want to use I'm thinking WLP 300 but also considering 351

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 12.57 gal
Post Boil Volume: 11.44 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 9.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.081 SG
Estimated Color: 24.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 79.2 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
18.18 gal Portland OR Water 1 -
20 lbs 6.8 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 67.3 %
8 lbs 10.4 oz Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 28.5 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.1 %
2.24 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 5 16.4 IBUs
0.45 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 m Hop 6 0.0 IBUs
1.8 pkg Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) [35. Yeast 7 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 30 lbs 5.2 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 41.11 qt of water at 162.7 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 3 steps (Drain mash tun, , 3.37gal, 3.37gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------

I've only brewed 3 Weizenbocks, so here are a few thoughts...

I started off with a 50/50 Munich/Wheat malt combo, but thought it was too heavy. Ended up following Jamil's recommendation and used closer to a 50/20/15 Wheat/Munich/Pils combo. That worked well for me.

I added some Crystal 40 and 80 (5% each) to mine, with a dash of Cararoma (or Crystal-120 if you like) for some malty goodness. I used a pinch of Carafa II to darken the beer a bit, but not a lot. I have not tried it with Chocolate malt and wonder if the roastiness is really right for a Weizenbock.

I like the idea of a small touch of aroma hops in a Weizenbock, although it is not a 'normal' addition in many recipes. As long as overall IBU's are low (< 20) and you are not hitting it heavy in the late boil, I think you are looking good.

I prefer the more phenolic bavarian yeasts like WLP351, which is thankfully now a regular yeast. I like 351 a lot! WLP300 will be a lot more on the banana side. Either way, I liked mine fermented low, like around 62-63 F.

Anyways, just a few ideas. Hope yours turns out well! :) Please post your results!
--LexusChris

LexusChris, I tried a hefe with a 50/50 mix of Wheat/Vienna, and while not Munich and it being a lower grav ale, I agree with you in that I felt it was heavy. I like your suggestions (brewed Jamil's myself) but clearly there is room for variation. I should brew one up myself, the window is closing on my aging yeast.

So I ended up designing a completly different recipe, I will post it tomorrow. FG came in a little lower than expected at 1.082 I also ended up using WLP 300 and santiam hops. Will be fermenting at 62-64F can't wait to see how it turns out

Sorry about the delay guys!! this is the recipe I ended up brewing. I will be racking to secondary tomorrow. It looks and smells great so far can't wait to taste it tomorrow! I also had to do a mini decoction due to a missed mash temp.

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10.00 gal Munich, Germany Water 1 -
15 lbs 3.9 oz Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 5 50.1 %
12 lbs 1.0 oz Munich II (Weyermann) (8.5 SRM) Grain 6 39.6 %
1 lbs 2.2 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 7 3.7 %
1 lbs Caramel Vienne 20L (Briess) (20.0 SRM) Grain 8 3.3 %
8.2 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 9 1.7 %
8.0 oz Melanoidin (Weyermann) (30.0 SRM) Grain 10 1.6 %
2.50 oz Santiam [6.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 11 20.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Santiam [6.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068) Yeast 13 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 30 lbs 7.2 oz

Looks great. Let us know how that chocolate malt comes through. If I had that much I might consider adding it at the end of the sparge, or steeped separately, to try and cut down on the roast. Of course, I have no real qualms with how you brewed yours, it should still be tasty!

What was your OG and FG? Is this the first pitch of yeast, did you use a starter and/or oxygenate well? My last hefeweizen (different beer of course) used 1 pack of 3068 and wasn't aerated all that well, while still fermented cool. While everything else came out okay and on schedule, it came out somewhat lifeless (the esters/phenolics/body) came out a bit lower than expected. With plans of rebrewing it to correct those issues and a weizenbock to follow, I'm interested in how yours turns out!

Racked to secondary today, beer tastes amazing! a little hot but I think it will mellow out with time. I think the chocolate is fine. I don't think its too roasty at all. I didn't take a gravity reading today, I don't think its done yet. I will take a reading next week when I rack to kegs and bottles.

OG was 1.082, I didn't make a starter just pitched from the vial, and oxygenated as I drained into carboys. I fermented at 75 for the first day and blew off all the krausen then dropped to 62 for the rest of primary and will ferment at 62 for the rest of secondary until I cold crash. it has nice phenolics with out them dominating. I think I may add a touch more of bittering hops next time. But won't know for sure until it ages for a while. I hope to enter it in the fall classic comp. will keep ya'all posted on the progress.

20131006_163843.jpg

Back