Weird batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b-radbrew

Reaction score
I brewed this up last month:

Centennial Pale
4.64 lbs 2row
.55lb Victory
.275 C60

.2 oz Nugget 60 min
.6 oz Centennial 20 min
.3 oz Cent 10 min
.3 oz 5 min

This is a 3 gal batch.
Strike @ 157, mash @ 152 60 min.
No chill
O.G. 1.047

Not much went wrong with the process, not easy going day, same as usual.
Moved kettle to the basement to cool down over night. O.G at 1.042, which is most likely because I still am re-fining my process and working on efficiency. Next day, temp was 70 and pitched yeast. Instead of S-05 like I usually do, I decided to try the Mangrove Jack West Coast Ale this time. Pitched right ontop (since have gone to re-hydrating). Ferment at 64 for 3 weeks. At the 3 week mark, I popped open the bucket for a gravity reading and was at 1.020 and beer was pretty cloudy like a hefe. I thought that was a little weird. Waited 4 more days and did another, 1.020. So jumped on here and read a few things on stuck fermentation. Next step was swirling the bucket around for a minute or two and then strapped on a heating pad to raise the temp a bit. Ended up at 70-71 and let that sit a week. After that, still at 1.020. So four weeks in and I thought, hell, it ain't moving anymore and bottled. Still, the beer is very cloudy but I couldn't turn back at this point so I went with a little less sugar to carb, just in case. Once capped and looking at the neck I noticed and oily film on the bottle. Fingers crossed, I put them in a plastic tub covered and let it ride out. That was just over a week ago and still the bottles are very cloudy. Going to wait 2 more weeks then throw one in the fridge for 4 or 5 days and see what happens.

I just can't figure out why it came out so cloudy when my other recipes have come out clear and what's up with the oily film associated with this batch. :confused:

Thanks for laying out your whole process, makes stuff like this a lot easier.

The two things that jumped out at me is your cooling time and the fact that you dropped the yeast right in (but it looks like you know this is a problem). Chilling rapidly allows some of the chill-haze causing polyphenols to drop out of solution with other cold break matter. As for the yeast, if you just dump it straight on top of your wort without rehydrating, you're killing at least half of them immediately. That's potentially what led to your stuck fermentation.

As for the "oil slick", if it smells and tastes fine you're probably okay. You can get that from hop oils. That might also be related to your chilling process.

A few other questions:

1) Did you use a kettle fining agent like Irish Moss or Whirlfloc?
2) How did you transfer to your bucket? Did you take care to not transfer a lot of trub?
3) Does the beer have a yeasty taste to it? Trying to determine if its yeast in suspension or chill-haze proteins.

As for the yeast, if you just dump it straight on top of your wort without rehydrating, you're killing at least half of them immediately. That's potentially what led to your stuck fermentation.

Never heard this stat before. I've brewed lots of batches with dry yeast that turned out great and I've never rehydrated.

^^ What he said. I've made a lot of wine and cider just dumping the dry yeast on top. Never heard of it killing yeast, and I've never had a stuck fermentation.

Only two batches of beer under my belt, and used liquid yeast for both.

For the first questions:
1) No fining stuff. Haven't used it before and haven't had an issue before and figured that maybe one day I'd probably try it out.
2)transfer from kettle to bucket using an auto siphon like always keeping the end just below the surface during transfer until I hit the trub. A little of course goes in but not much.
3) no real yeasty flavor. Tried one bottle after a week just for kicks. Strong hop presence but a slight bit of a "soapy" type of finish in it. So far carbed up nicely.

I've got another 2 weeks to go on the bottle time, I like to go 3 weeks before really getting into them, so I guess its kind of a waiting game now.

I've never had an issue with dumping the dry yeast right in either but after this one, I decided to give the rehydrating a try.

Just don't know on this one. I will keep updates going though if anyone is interested enough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using Home Brew mobile app

Never heard this stat before. I've brewed lots of batches with dry yeast that turned out great and I've never rehydrated.

Skipping rehydration kills about half the cells piched. Besides having only half as much yeast as is needed, the dead cells immediately begin to break down and affect the beer flavor.

-Yeast, by Chris White and Jamil Zainasheff (page 146)

I've never had the capabilities to check if they are right, but given the combined knowledge of these two (one professional yeast purveyor and one profession brewer), I've taken it as correct. I can't say that I've ever seen anybody with a "brewing biology" background say differently, while they've always been adamant about rehydration. Additionally, even the manufacturers of dry yeast recommend rehydration. It's incredibly easy, I'm not sure why you'd jeopardize taste on something as minor as rehydration. Unless somebody has concrete results comparing rehydrated vs non-rehydrated yeast on the same wort, I wouldn't follow that over professionals.

Anyways, did you have a ton of trub in the fermenter? Excess trub has been known to lead to that "soapy" taste. Otherwise, if its cloudy when cold but doesn't have any yeasty taste to it, I'd say its probably just chill haze. A whirl floc tablet can go a long way toward clearing that up.

Skipping rehydration kills about half the cells piched. Besides having only half as much yeast as is needed, the dead cells immediately begin to break down and affect the beer flavor.

Add Clayton Cone from Lallemand and Sean Terrill to that list of people recommending rehydrating in water to avoid killing ~50% of the yeast, both of whom have done cell counts. It's pretty sound science. How anyone with even a modest amount of experience with dry yeast can claim not to have heard that before is beyond me, but there is no doubt that pitching dry kills a large percentage of the yeast colony. The real debate should be about whether that negatively impacts the end product, but that is entirely subjective so there is no true "right" answer.

OP, are you measuring gravity with a hydrometer or a refractometer? Also, did your gravity samples taste sweet?

I've never had the capabilities to check if they are right, but given the combined knowledge of these two (one professional yeast purveyor and one profession brewer), I've taken it as correct. I can't say that I've ever seen anybody with a "brewing biology" background say differently, while they've always been adamant about rehydration. Additionally, even the manufacturers of dry yeast recommend rehydration. It's incredibly easy, I'm not sure why you'd jeopardize taste on something as minor as rehydration. Unless somebody has concrete results comparing rehydrated vs non-rehydrated yeast on the same wort, I wouldn't follow that over professionals.

I guess I was wrong. When I started brewing 15 or so years ago most people just dumped the dry yeast in. I have been happy with my beers that I used dry yeast on but will re hydrate from now on.

Just a quick update for anyone who's interested. Almost 3 weeks in the bottle now and I looked at a few bottles last night. About 1/4" of the top of the beer is starting to clear a little. Still has the oily film on it but looks like there might be a little progress. I'll see what happens in another couple weeks. And BTW, even sitting in the fridge for 5 days, still just as cloudy as room temp.

If its a chill haze problem it'll actually get worse after being in the fridge. Have you tried popping one open? How's the carbonation?

Back