Wee Heavy recipe thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which peat smoked malt amount?

• Total voters
One tip I got from a local very high level grand master beer judge for wee heavy said to collect about the first half gallon of runnings and boil that seperately down to about a quart (half) and add that back to the ketlle. To get richness and some extra malliard-y stuff.

Sounds like a Scotrat recipe from a decade or more ago.

Side note: caramelization is another Scottish myth. It just didn't happen. And again, that doesn't mean it is not a valid technique just like using peated malt. If it works for you, by all means do it. Just don't claim it is a Scottish thing.

I made a 90 percent peated Scottish WHISKY ale. It's intense but very good if you like Laphroaig. I don't think it's a Scotch ale if it uses peat. The confusion I think comes from the name. Scotch refers to the specific style from that country, not Scotch Whisky, which, to my knowledge, use peat mostly in Islay, not everywhere, anyways.

I made a wee heavy with Scotch (Johnnie Walker Red) soaked oak chips. Crowd pleaser. 😊

Back