Way, way, way over the top Sam Adams Utopia clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess nothing, if it's closed. Darn it. Hope we see some pics when it's done.

just to actually add something constructive since I don't think Paul's posted it yet, rumor has it the gravity was down to about 1.040 at the last check off an OG of 1.160 I think it was so ... unless my math is off (which is could be)... they're at about 19.5% ABV already

Hey all,

Yup, Brian is correct, we're down to 1.040. We added two sachet's of 1118 to help it along and get it to dry out. We sampled some last Saturday and it was still VERY sweet. Underlying strong bitterness and a great flavor but diabetes in a bottle at this point. We've already had a 4 point drop in the gravity since then, I swung by Chris's house yesterday to pick up Brians O2 stone and took out a sample and poured it in the hydrometer. It was MUCH more gassy than on Satuday and still floating at 1.040 so it's probably even lower but it's moving in the right direction. I need to keep telling myself that this one is going to be hanging around for at least a year, RDWHAHB.

Brian, I did notice the cider and was going to ask you about it but I got distracted when I got dragged over to see your walk in cooler. Can I move in to your cellar?

PTN

The OG was actually 1150, and we are at 1042 right now as of when PTN came over to tested it. I gave it a good shake last night to rouse the yeasties and it is bubbling away still this morning.We should be able to get it too about 1030 hopefully 1020

Hi. My first post!

3 pounds of maple syrup in 13 gallons would add about 8 points to the OG. AVB comes out around 15.8% with an OG of 1.158 and FG of 1.042. BTW, check out this great tool - KotMF: Gravity and Alcohol Calculator

The real attenuation is around 56%. This is around what I got (55%) when I tried doing one of these monster beers a few months back. I made an Imperial Stout with WLP099 and then pitched the slurry into a 5 gallon all grain wort with an OG of 1.111. I dumped half a tank of 02 in it and it took off like a rocket. Once it was going I did multiple sugar additions consisting of a blend of 6# malt extract, 4# honey, 2# brown sugar and 1# molasses (about 82 more points!).

With all the extra extract/sugar I got to about 6 gallons with a calculated OG of around 1.178. I was hoping to get it below 1.030, but it gave up at 1.050. I went crazy on the bittering hops with a 108 IBUs, so it actually does have some balance... but with the mouth feel of cough syrup :(

I've put it in a 5 gallon carboy (lost almost a gallon in yeast slurry/trub). I'll try it after a year and see what it's like. I doubt I will drink it as is. Most likely blend it with something else. Either a well attenuated Imperial Stout or a very dry mead to make a braggot...? Failing that I could make a lot of barbecue sauce.

I might try it again after some more research in to how (if?) other people have got anywhere need the 25% mark. I'll be interested to see how your's turns out. We could try a side-by-side in another year. The Imperial Stout "started" turned out pretty good and was well attenuated. How did the barley wine do?

I did try something like this a couple of years ago with the White Labs Dry English Ale yeast (used to be called High Gravity Ale Yeast or something). I stated with 1.100 wort and added about 30 points of honey/sugar/molasses after fermentation was under way. It got down to 1.026 with an ABV around 14%. It was like paint thinner for a couple of years and is now quite drinkable. It only had 60 IBUs and comes over quite sweet. It seems to be getting sweeter over time (usually goes the other way).

Hi. My first post!

Falls to knees and in his best Waynes World imitation cries out, "I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!"

Then a moment later I realize that you read thru 34 pages and 350 posts to get here and so obviously yours is a wasted life just like ours. Cool.

Hey Alistair,
You've been kicking my ass in competitions for years, nice to finally say hello. Where in Wakefield do you live, I grew up on Walton St over in Montrose? In fact my parents still live there. (Pregnant pause while I wait expectantly for you to say, "Well, drop by the next time you are visiting them and I'll pour you a beer.)

Anyway, I just woke up and I need to get going, have to drop Spawn #1 off in Brighton before heading in to work. I want to digest what you wrote when I have more time, I'll post more later on tonight. But what a nice surprise to wake up to.

Paulthenurse

I actually got a reading of about 6 points based on Beer Tools Software, but I could be wrong. :) Either way not too bad to get it to 1042 so far!! and its still bubbling away!

Chris, that 1050 number didn't look right to me so iwent back and looked. The morning after we brewed I posted that we had 1.060 of warm beer in the hydrometer, before adding either of the maple syrup additions. So it should be 1.068, unless I'm totally mixed up. Where did you get 1.050?
PTN

Where in Wakefield do you live, I grew up on Walton St over in Montrose? In fact my parents still live there. (Pregnant pause while I wait expectantly for you to say, "Well, drop by the next time you are visiting them and I'll pour you a beer.)

Hi Paul.

I'm closer to Greenwood on Holland Road (off Charles St). You should drop by for a beer! I've been brewing like crazy and have far too much to drink on my own... that's why I have to enter it in competitions ;)

Cheers,
Alastair

No the correction for temp was 1150 I added it tothe recipe that night in beertools

You weren't capable of picking your own nose when I left that night. I'm supposed to trust what you wrote down over what my razor sharp, stone cold sober mind remembers? I say we settle on 1.155 and call it even.

PTN

See the confusion was you got a reading of 1144 and I got a reading of 1155 an dyou said lets settle on 1150...

Another pic of the Utopia brew day. We've been Franklin-ized!

ptn.jpg

From left to right; Chris's friend Scott, Brian (Blocked by Jae's BBB) Jae Wilson, Tony Lopez, PaultheOriginal, BullsBeers, DrinksWellWithOthers and Paulthenurse.

Oh ya, and the stars of the show in front, the Utopia clones.

Thanks for the technical help, Revy

PTN

Well I took a gravity reading on threat from PTN that he would show up at my house naked. It is 1032. Also he wants me to throw beano in, but I don't like that idea. ANy input from other people on this forum?

Well I took a gravity reading on threat from PTN that he would show up at my house naked. It is 1032. Also he wants me to throw beano in, but I don't like that idea. ANy input from other people on this forum?

I wouldn't mess with Beano. You expose yourself to potential problems, including the fact that it keeps going and going.

1.032 sounds perfect to me. That's what, 77% AA and 15.9% abv? Hell, that's practially a session beer. :D

I added 4 beano tablets to a Barley wine that I made. I didnt follow all of the proper healthy yeast strategies and added sugar to the boil instead of later on in the fermentation.. The OG was 1.120 going into the fermenter but stalled at 1.040. After some suggestions were made on this website I decided to go ahead and go for it.. if it messed it up I was only out the cost for a 5 gallon batch of barleywine ($40). I crushed them up and into the fermenter they went.. fermentation kicked in a couple days later.. couple weeks after pitching the beano it putterd out at 1.025.. I then bottled and havnt tasted it yet besides a tasting from my hydrometer test.. It went from very sweet taste to a dryer taste with a strong hint of alcohol... there was no beano taste or anything...

Its your call.. if you read the beano packaging it says something about it converting complex carbs to simple sugars.. So its not like your adding anti-fart medicine to it... Atleast thats my 2 cents...

Your call bro.. this is just what I did and I am a noob at all this.

Well its actually more than 15.9% as the 4 pounds of Maple syrup were added after initial gravity readings. I may add a bit of beano if people on this board other than PTN convince me. We are each into this brew over $100

Just a note the Barley wine starter may not have been a good idea. A nice IPA probaby would have been better

Back