Way, way, way over the top Sam Adams Utopia clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I added the second starter (non barley wine starter this time) along with 2.25lbs of maple syrup. I took pictures I will be posting of the starter, syrup, mixed starter and syrup, and krausen. Note that this krausen is after 5 days and its still going and I have regularly agitated the yeast (usually by saying that the yeast looks like PTN, that would agitate anything). I will try and post the pics tomorrow when I get home from work.

This kind of off topic but my Brew club is getting ready to do another bulk grain buy. Last time it was approximately 28 bucks for 2 row and 35 bucks for marris otter. That pricing was for 55 lb bags. I will post in the all grain section too. If anyone in the boston area is intersted please PM me.

Hey Chris,
I'm heading over to the EAC tonight around 11:30 after work. I know you can't join me because SheWhoCutYourBallsOff won't let you, so I'm going to give you one more chance. Post up a gravity reading before then or I will swing by your house on my way home "just to check" on the Utopia. You know better than I do that if I show up on your door step half in the wrapper at 1am you will be instantly vaporized by the 'Imperial LeeAnn Death Star Laser Look.'

Your choice!

PTN

This kind of off topic but my Brew club is getting ready to do another bulk grain buy. Last time it was approximately 28 bucks for 2 row and 35 bucks for marris otter. That pricing was for 55 lb bags. I will post in the all grain section too. If anyone in the boston area is intersted please PM me.

Man, I need to get me one of those barley Crushers....:(

Hey Paul sorry I was not able to make it to the brew session you had. I really did want to go but my dog got sick that morning. Tony told me he had a great time and that we will all have to brew togeather soon.

We missed you, we REALLY needed another Brian there that day.

But to make it up to you, I have a proposal. Drinkswellwithothers and I met at the East Ave Cafe in Pawtucket tonight and founded the EAC Drinking Club. For a limited time only the EAC Drinking Club is accepting new members. We plan an open enrollment night for Monday February 16th at EAC Headquarters at 6 pm.

Marc and I voted and I was elected Generalisimo for Life of the EAC Drinking Club and he was elected Chancellor of the Bottle Opener. We celebrated our inaugeration with a bottle of Madame du Bourginoin Flemish Ale.

So all local area HBT'ers and any other ne'er do wells are invited to meet up with us on 2/16 at 6 pm at EAC Headquarters, East Ave, Pawtucket.

Let me know if I need to reserve a few tables.

PTN

ps,

I took it easy on you tonight, Chris. Didn't drive by to honk hello. Don't count on my being so kind and understanding in the future.

wow... 1.160 all in one shot. I'm very interested to see how far down this will ferment seeing as though i'm going to be shooting for a 1.190-1.200 beer in a few weeks. I've read a few threads where high OG batches stopped at around 12-13% using WLP099. White labs says that higher gravities are possible with stepped additions, yeast nutrients, and oxygen additions. Anyways, subscribing... I'd like to find out where it stops active fermentation. What steps are you taking to help fermentation along? Whats the fermentation temp? Are you periodically rousing the yeast, adding nutrients, oxygen?

We missed you, we REALLY needed another Brian there that day.

But to make it up to you, I have a proposal. Drinkswellwithothers and I met at the East Ave Cafe in Pawtucket tonight and founded the EAC Drinking Club. For a limited time only the EAC Drinking Club is accepting new members. We plan an open enrollment night for Monday February 16th at EAC Headquarters at 6 pm.

Marc and I voted and I was elected Generalisimo for Life of the EAC Drinking Club and he was elected Chancellor of the Bottle Opener. We celebrated our inaugeration with a bottle of Madame du Bourginoin Flemish Ale.

So all local area HBT'ers and any other ne'er do wells are invited to meet up with us on 2/16 at 6 pm at EAC Headquarters, East Ave, Pawtucket.

Let me know if I need to reserve a few tables.

PTN

ps,

I took it easy on you tonight, Chris. Didn't drive by to honk hello. Don't count on my being so kind and understanding in the future.

I'm in Mon General or is it Uncle Paul?
:D

Hey I wanted to give shout outs to everyone who came and made Saturday such a fun day. I wanted to get individual pics of everyone but just didn't get around to it.

So here's who was there as best I can recall.

Paulthenurse
Chris (yeager 1977)
Tony Lopez
Albert (Sumo)
Jay Wilson (From The Witches Brew)
NedL (TWB) provided us with 1 1/2 lbs of his own homemade maple syrup
Brian (Bulls Beers)
Brian #2 friend of #1
Brian #3 (Cape Brewing)
Bill (Pres of South Shore Brew Club)
SmurfJuice (TWB)
Scott, (friend of Chris)
PaultheOriginal
JD (Wort Processors)
Marc (Drinkswellwithothers)

Hey, I made it out...of course I didn't do anything but eat and drink, ha. Might have influenced the Loose Cannon discussion.

Figured before you guys finish the Utopia, you might start considering the clone of the beer that has evidently surpassed Utopia in ABV:

Translated version of http://www.rp-online.de/public/article/panorama/deutschland/105883/Staerkstes-Bier-der-Welt-kommt-aus-Bayern.html

Hope to hang out and brew with you guys in the coming months!

DT

My bad, I had you as JD. Well at least I got the D part right. I owe you a big thanks for turning me on to the Loose Cannon. I've been to the EAC a few times since and have really enjoyed the LC there. I'll be sure to have a pint or three when the EAC meets there on Feb 16.

PTN

Hey guys,
There was a lot of discussion at both Masstoberfest and at the Utopia Brew Day about winemaking. I started a thread here so we can discuss it and perhaps join our resources together and do a group wine crush. There's just something about yeast. Those little barstards get in your blood and you can't look at anything with sugar in it the same way again. All you local aspiring wino's should check it out.

PTN

Hey DT,
is that a 30 gallon barrel or a 60? It looks like my 30 but I can't imagine a commercial operation using small barrels like a 30. What did it cost you?

PTN

I believe it's a 60 gallon barrel (or possibly 53). It was used for Whiskey first, then Coastal Extreme (Newport Storm) used it to age their Thomas Tew rum. The Wort Processors purchased it from them and I'm not exactly sure how much it cost, but for some reason $125 sticks out in my memory.

It was definitely a fun day of brewing to fill the thing up! Started out in the upper 1080's and it's down into the 1020's right now. The last gravity reading tasted exceptional...

DT

OK, so I'm drunk and I shouldn't be posting but...

I went by Chris's yesterday and here is where we are. We're down to 1.044 and seem to be petering out. The Krausen has fallen. CHris is stirring it every other day and the airlock is still putting up bubbles every second or so but it definatley isn[t the full bore fermetn that it was. We decided to add a wineyeast, to try to finsih things. We took two sachets of 1118 and added them to a 50/50 pint of the beer and water. 1118 can go to 18 %, we're at around 12 now so we went with it.

So how does it taste? As it sits now it is obvioulsy still fermenting, it is LOADED with yeast. It is quite bitter and doesnt have the maple component that the original Utopia has. We added almost 2 lbs of maple syrup to teh brew but it is absolutely missing in the profile. There is a very pronounced maltyness under the biiterness. It is cloyingly sweet. We need it to go the restr of the way down to 1.020 or so, it is WAY to sweet right now, that's why we added the 1118.

OK too much wine, iteh Boston Wine exp kicked my ass I need to go brush my teeth a dozen times adn go to bed.\P

I THINK $125 for the barrels from Coastal Extreme is right... I think... we (SSBC) get one from them every year for our big group brew (the braggot that Bill's famous for passing out to everyone was last year's).

Oh... and I gotta get my O2 stone back at some point... before I forget about it. Still don't really need it since I'm not brewing again until I can make my first batch on my rig but the damn thing WILL be done one way or another in the next two weeks or so.

I'll call Chris later, if he can't get it over to you tonight I'll drive it over tomorrow. I HATE having someone elses stuff, cause I know how much it sucks to want to use something and it's unavailable cause the pantload you loaned it to hasn't returned it. P M me your address and phone number please.

PTN

Yeah Brain

PM Paul and he can give yo my Phone number and we can meet up and I will get it to you!!!

Also as discussed with Paul I added 12.5 liquid ounces of maple syrup.

Hey Chris,
i spoke with Paul and it sounds like he might swing by tomorrow with it. Like I was telling Paul, there's really no hurry. I'm around all day tomorrow (I work from home on Wednesdays) and around all weekend this weekend and if we can't figure out something this week, I'm not too concerned.

oh and Paul... turns out I don't have to run that errand so I will be home until about 5:00 and then I'm on dad-duty and have to grab he boys at day care

OMG, you are almost mirroring what I am about to brew. :mug: Thanx for all the info. kinda think you stressed the yeast too much with the barleywine starter, tho it KICKS ASS to have said that in your lifetime.

I am shooting for a 25% beer:ban:

OMG, you are almost mirroring what I am about to brew. :mug: Thanx for all the info. kinda think you stressed the yeast too much with the barleywine starter, tho it KICKS ASS to have said that in your lifetime.

I am shooting for a 25% beer:ban:

this reply is worthless without recipe ;)

:off:

Hey PTN, I was going to PM you but I figured screw it, this thread is at least a little bit of a free for all.

thanks again for swinging through with the O2 stone and I realized I didn't tell you what was in that horribe looking carboy I'm sure you noticed down in the bar.... the one with what looked like 5 inches of gunk caked on the top of it..

It's a cider that I pressed with Tredo on December 3rd on an antique press he's got. We grabbed what was literally the last six bushels of assorted apples from an orchard over in Stoughton. I added 1 lb of dark brown sugar, 1 lb of white raisins, 1 lb of cherries and 1 lb of red currants and pitched an English Cider yeast. That gunk was all of the fruit that floated to the top. It had an OG of 1.061 but that's gotta be low given all of the sugar in the fruit that hadn't been released. It's finished at 1.000.... so... at least 8.5%.

I just racked it and am drinking my hydro sample... gooooood loooord.

Tasty stuff.

I'll save you a bottle. :mug:

Yeah, no offense, but some of us want to know more about this beer and see some pics, not hear you guys use it as a personal chat thread. WTF?

I'm just giving you crap because we want to worship your beer.

I was there that day, they used my O2 stone, Paul was returning it and I mentioned one thing quick off topic quick.

319 posts and I put in four sentences that were off topic. I think you'll pull through.

It's a closed fermentor. What do you want to see pics of??

Back