Way too vinegary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snyder66

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out why my kombucha tastes too vinegary. This happened after only a week, the past 2 batches. I started out with a starter kit. That batch was fine. Then, I purchased a 2 gallon container with a spigot, much easier to bottle. Any thoughts as to why it is too sour?

The longer it goes, the more it turns to vinegar. If you like it sweet, you could bottle it and refrigerate it as soon as it hits the right flavor for you.

The longer it goes, the more it turns to vinegar. If you like it sweet, you could bottle it and refrigerate it as soon as it hits the right flavor for you.

I understand. but, Isn't a week a bit too soon to turn into vinegar?

I understand. but, Isn't a week a bit too soon to turn into vinegar?

It is supposed to taste vinegary. It should not taste sweet. The commercial ones I have tasted have very little sugar taste. Maybe your recipe is too concentrated and just needs to be diluted a bit?

Can you post your recipe and process? It may help diagnose the problem.

One week is normally about perfect for me, a few extra days may even be needed as the weather gets cooler.

I have found with my continous brewing with a jar with spigot, by the third batch the scoby is so strong and effective it usually takes 1/2 to 1/3 the time of the first one. If your doing batches and using the scoby over and over this could be happening to you.

Ours always tastes vinegary as well especially once the Scoby matures. If you have patience and fridge space let it sit for a month or two and the vinegar will mellow out considerably.
We have been playing with a beverage called a shrub and decided to use that method. You would not believe how amazing the drink is after it sits.

I'm switching to 5 gallon batches. I find by my third continuous ferment, I'm always making vinager. You could start tracking the spacific gravity to help you bottle consistently from a continuous ferment.

If you have patience and fridge space let it sit for a month or two and the vinegar will mellow out considerably.
We have been playing with a beverage called a shrub and decided to use that method. You would not believe how amazing the drink is after it sits.

Do you mean you leave the kombucha in fridge to mellow? Or the SCOBY alone?

Would love to hear more about the "shrub."

Ours always tastes vinegary as well especially once the Scoby matures. If you have patience and fridge space let it sit for a month or two and the vinegar will mellow out considerably.

You mean letting the whole batch sit to mellow? Or let the SCOBY sit for a while before you start a new batch?

Would love to hear more about this "shrub" you speak of.

would love to hear more about this "shrub" you speak of.

a shrubbery!

shrubbery.jpg

You mean letting the whole batch sit to mellow? Or let the SCOBY sit for a while before you start a new batch?

Would love to hear more about this "shrub" you speak of.

We bottle our booch and let it sit in the fridge for up to two months.
The vinegary taste has mellowed considerably and is absolutely amazing.

A shrub is a pre-prohibition method of making syrups for soda or alcoholic drinks.
Made by mixing equal amounts fruits and sugar and letting it macerate overnight. Then strain the juice off and mix an equal amount of vinegar into the juice. You then let the mix sit in the fridge for a couple months.
Mix with soda water for a great soda or make adult beverages.

Latest posts

Back