Voss Kveik for a big stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Reaction score
The stout should be in the 10% Abv region, I'm not entirely sure of the value as it will be part of a gyle, if the OG is low I'll use some DME.

The Voss sounds like a good choice but I have never used it.

Please share your experiences with Voss and high ABV stouts.

Many Thanks. Aamcle

I did a barrel aged RIS ,OG 1.112. I always make a small beer so i can repitch onto a big one,and Voss was no exception. Fermented at 86* and it climed to 96* (use a blow off) I mean really, use a blow off. Maybe because I pitched the normal amount of yeast, there was no orange or tartness at all. I was thinking the orange would go well with the pale chocolate malt,but there was none.

I underpitched in a smash but didn’t get any orange notes I fermented here in India, summer time here. Fermentation was over in less than 3 days. This was last week.

My experience with Voss Kveik is it very citrus. I tried a few batch and even one stout, and failed to reduce that citrus flavor.

Back