Visiting Ohio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickbtag

Reaction score
Hi HBT community. So my wife and are up visiting family in Ohio and will be in and around Columbus. Wondering about any recommendations for breweries, bottle shops or just general good places for beer. We'll also be traveling up near Cleveland too. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks all!

I've been to North high and Wolfs ridge in Columbus, both were well worth checking out, but Wolfs ridge was by far my favorite, and the owner is a very nice guy, as well, gave us a tour of the place and all.

There's Fat Head's in North Olmsted & Great Lakes in uptown Cleveland. Part of F&F 8 was filmed there,& I think they finally finished up filming? Great Lakes Brewpub has food as well, at 2516 Market Avenue in Ohio City neighborhood. This is the site of several old Cleveland breweries that died when I was a boy. The Mahogany bar is the same one Eliot Ness sat at! It even has a new beer garden next door!
Fat Head's 24581 Lorain Road North Olmsted, OH has food as well. My son goes there & says it's pretty good.
Then there's The Brew Kettle & pit BBQ in Strongsville that's very good as well. 8377 Pearl Road, Strongsville, OH, near state route 71. Also at 300 Church Street Amherst, OH. Not too far away from me. Both locations have good food & fresh beer on tap.
Here's the website links;
https://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/
http://fatheadscleveland.com/
http://thebrewkettle.com/locations/
Hope these help a bit?...:mug:

What part(s) of Columbus will you be visiting? I'll be better able to pinpoint where to go, but the best place for buying beer is Kenny Road Market. It looks like a hole in the wall, but has 500+ beers. The Giant Eagle Marketplace in Upper Arlington also has a great selection.

Brewery wise you have (in no particular order):
- Land Grant
- Columbus Brewing
- Zauber
- Sideswipe
- Seventh Son
- Wolf's Ridge
- North High
- Four String
- Barley's
- Actual Brewing
- Elevator

Or you can check out this list too.

That reminds me. I did indeed forget to mention the great beer coolers @ Giant Eagle locations around Ohio. Like the one on the corner from me @ North Abbe Rd (SRT 301) & Detroit Rd (SRT 254), another in Avon lake on Walker Rd. On the way to the one on Walker Rd, you'll pass John Christ Winery on the right side of the road, 32421 Walker Rd, about one mile or so East of the Walker Rd/SRT 83 intersection. Many fruit & grape wines to choose from with a wine bar upstairs to boot! Wines are of exceptional quality in my opinion. Here's a link; http://johnchristwine.homestead.com/

Hi HBT community. So my wife and are up visiting family in Ohio and will be in and around Columbus. Wondering about any recommendations for breweries, bottle shops or just general good places for beer. We'll also be traveling up near Cleveland too. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks all!

I agree with every brewery @Vandulus said for Columbus area. Hoof Hearted just opened up a brewpub as well. I've heard decent things.

For Cleveland, there are also many options. Down in the Ohio city area, you have Great Lakes Brewing(must visit for the food), Market Garden, and Nano Brew (all next to eachother). A little bit down the road is Platform Beer. Platform has only been open two years but it's worth checking out. Brick & barrel and Bottlehouse are great breweries down town as well.

Another good place in this area to eat is Townhall. Best food and they always have a great taplist. http://www.townhallohiocity.com/lounge/brews/

Suburbs of Cleveland you'll find Fat Heads (brewery in middleburg hts. and saloon & restaurant in North Olmsted) The Brew Kettle in Strongsville has awesome brews and awesome BBQ! (I recommend the smoked wings) White Rajah is an awesome IPA. I live next door to the brew kettle.

On your way to Cleveland from Columbus you will be driving on 71 the whole way pretty much. You'll pass Medina and they are the home of Lagerheads Brewing company. They have an awesome brewery/smokehouse (they also have a tap room at their production brewery but the hours are kinda wonky. I wouldn't recommend visiting there if you're only here a short period of time. ) But the restaurant would be worth it.

Also in Medina is White Feather Farms just outside of town on the main drag that has fresh, locally raised buffalo meat You can buy by the quarter, half, etc if you're so inclined. Just thought I'd mention that as well...

There are really good lists of place above. Sideswipe's pixelated sunshine is a real good hoppy American wheat worth trying. Columbus brewings bodhi is also very good and worth finding(not bottled). We have some good growler filling spots too. The ones I go to most are Ohio taproom(all Ohio beers) and the daily growler.

I did notice lineage brewing wasn't listed yet. It's newer and was started by members of the homebrew club sodz. Restoration brewing in Delaware is close too. It was also started by an old president of the homebrew club and Frank is one of the highest ranking national judges. I haven't been there yet but his beers were always good.

Ill mannered in Powell was also started by some club members. It's up in Powell, north of town.

Kindred ales is the new sour focused brewery, also started by a club member.

Pigskin brewing in gahanna also has club ties.

Rock mill is south east of town but if you are into Belgians, I here they are good. Im not currently into Belgians.

I completely forgot about hoof hearted, they actually have a brewpub that is right down the street from seventh son. It's not been there a whole year I don't think.

Wow! Thanks for all the awesome suggestions! We hit up barley's brewing and brew kettle and and found a brew arcade that had numerous local brews. The wings were in fact awesome at the brew kettle. Thanks for the suggestion. We will be coming up several times in the next few months so look forward to trying several more of the great Ohio based breweries. I'm really in to sours so I'm really looking forward to trying kindred ales. Hoof hearted sounds really good too and so many others. Thank you all for the great suggestions! Any others are always welcome too!!

We stopped into Jackie O's brewpub too in Athens and man was it awesome! Tried the Oro Negro on tap and it was phenomenal! Not cheap at all on their BA beers beers but we picked up a few to try and bring home. Definitely worth a trip if anyone is passing through or nearby.

Latest posts

Back